Author Topic: Side mirror add ons  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Gitbox

Side mirror add ons
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
I like the stock mirrors, but cars keep sneaking up on me and I hate that. (yeah, I know, drive faster)

What do ye learned riders recommend to improve on the rear view? I've thought about the little convex mirror stick ons and was wondering what type is best and where should I stick them on the stock mirrors.

Thanks as always.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline bouts

Re: Side mirror add ons
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
That's what I did, little rectangular convex mirrors mounted on the lower inside corner of the stock mirrors.  Placed so that they give maximum view to the sides.  I can see pretty much to directly beside me in those little mirrors.  But like I read on here, don't trust the mirrors, they help, but don't replace the shoulder checks.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:46:06 AM »
I use the 2" round convex stick-on mirrors -- I think I got a two-pack of them at the auto parts store for $2.

Placement on the mirror is a personal thing... it depends on how you use/adjust your mirrors.  I have mine in the outer/lower corner and that works best for me on the bike.   The further out you put them on the mirror, the better they'll cover your blind spot.  My blind spot is completely eliminated: I see objects in my peripheral vision before they exit the field of the convex mirror.

I also use the same stick on mirrors on my cars.  On both cars, I have them placed in the outer/upper corner
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
I use the 2" round convex stick-on mirrors -- I think I got a two-pack of them at the auto parts store for $2.

Placement on the mirror is a personal thing... it depends on how you use/adjust your mirrors.  I have mine in the outer/lower corner and that works best for me on the bike.   The further out you put them on the mirror, the better they'll cover your blind spot.  My blind spot is completely eliminated: I see objects in my peripheral vision before they exit the field of the convex mirror.

I also use the same stick on mirrors on my cars.  On both cars, I have them placed in the outer/upper corner

I have the 2" round ones also except they are angled and rotate 360 degrees so you can adjust how far out or in to the sides of the bike you want.  :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »

+1, except that mine are at the top left hand corner of each mirror.

Free option - turn your head and you'll never, ever miss a thing  ;)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :hail:

I always turn my head to check when I'm changing lanes. I'm not trying to eliminate that - just the startled surprise I get when a vehicle comes out of my blind spot. Ooh, I HATE that.  :shoot:

I was thinking lower inside also. I hope they come off easy if have to move them.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline bouts

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
... I see objects in my peripheral vision before they exit the field of the convex mirror.

Exactly, the front of the vehicle is in my periperal and even in my main field of view, and the rear end is still in the convex mirror.  Great little addition.  They do come off, but the tape is pretty sticky, some elbow grease and patience with the cleaner is required.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:16:20 AM »
I hope they come off easy if have to move them.

You can stick them on temporarily with a doubled-over piece of duct tape.  Ride for a few miles, see how you like it, then try it in a different position. 
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.