Author Topic: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals  (Read 12752 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2022, 07:01:13 PM »
And 2 more quick images.
1. LED's on low again, after adjustment (it was darker outside, so I wanted to re-take this for closer comparison to the high beams.
2. LED's on high.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »
Those look pretty good, Scott. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who smashes tons of bugs.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2022, 07:42:23 PM »
Those look pretty good, Scott. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who smashes tons of bugs.

Well, I have not been riding much since Covid (most of my riding is commuting, but that hasn't been happening as I have only gone IN to work 18x), but I also don't wash the bike often!
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2022, 07:36:44 AM »
I rode in to work today in the dark. I can say, I approved of the LED headlights. They give a better light than the standard bulbs, partially because the color temperature is higher, but it has a nice light pattern to it as well.
I didn't grab a picture of the heat sync and the rubber boots, but the boots do touch the heat syncs. It would be interesting to get a measurement of the heat that the sync puts off. I felt them after riding for an hour a few days ago once I got home and they were hot to the touch for sure (I just did a quick touch, not prolonged as that would cause a slight burn).
Scott

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »
I would imagine you could get new boots if those get iffy. Depending on what compound they're actually made of, you might never have a problem.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2022, 04:39:50 PM »
I am fairly sure my heatsinks touch the boots and have for several years- no problem.  The heatsinks get hot, but not hot enough to melt rubber/silicone/plastic.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2022, 09:45:38 PM »
Just did front switchbacks.

FullSizeRender by bigangryscot, on Flickr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2022, 05:20:24 AM »
Just did front switchbacks.

So much better than stock, even if not full-time yellow.  But you should always share sources/models/etc...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2022, 07:40:58 AM »
I was looking at the image wondering why you would post a picture of a dark Concours after doing the switchback install.

I then realized it was probably a video...   ;D
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2022, 05:22:59 AM »
I was looking at the image wondering why you would post a picture of a dark Concours after doing the switchback install.

I then realized it was probably a video...   ;D

LOL- Same here!

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2022, 12:12:09 PM »
So much better than stock, even if not full-time yellow.  But you should always share sources/models/etc...

The bulbs: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B09C234Y12

The sockets which required removal of some of the ears to match the OEM ones: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B096RPQ4MP

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »
The bulbs: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B09C234Y12

The sockets which required removal of some of the ears to match the OEM ones: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B096RPQ4MP

It is nice they included the resistors, which you had to use if you are using the stock flasher.  In my case, I used a replacement electronic flasher unit (just popped right into the block), so that covered all the lights and didn't have to use resistors- which is simpler, faster, cleaner, more reliable, uses no extra power, creates no waste-heat, and works with both LED and incandescent bulbs (or even a mix).

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
The resistors didn’t create enough load to work for me. Right now it has hyperflash. It may be my imagination, but it doesn’t seem as fast as “normal” hyperflash.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
The resistors didn’t create enough load to work for me. Right now it has hyperflash. It may be my imagination, but it doesn’t seem as fast as “normal” hyperflash.

Are you kidding?  Those are 50 Watt resistors included!  One for each bulb should be more than enough load.  Really, do yourself a favor and remove the resistors and replace the flasher.

https://www.motosport.com/dmp-led-flasher-unit?variant[DMP000D]=DMP000D-X001-Y001
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pin-Electronic-Flasher-Motorcycle-Signal/dp/B073J82PNF
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/speedmetal-led-turn-signal-relay
https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

I use the DMP; the "KAFEEK" on Amazon looks to be the same and someone confirms in reviews it is plug-and-play on the Concours.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 07:09:34 AM »
I tested the resistors before permanently installing them. When I saw they didnt work, I removed them right away.

When we did the LED turns on my buddy’s ZX14R, it had hyperflash with the same bulbs that didn’t for me. We put the Custom LED flasher in his and it worked great. If i get a new one, it’ll be theirs.

I’ve had the switchbacks for a few days now, including riding in the dark. They’re awesome.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2022, 01:48:40 PM »
I tested the resistors before permanently installing them. When I saw they didnt work, I removed them right away. When we did the LED turns on my buddy’s ZX14R, it had hyperflash with the same bulbs that didn’t for me. We put the Custom LED flasher in his and it worked great. If i get a new one, it’ll be theirs.

The ZX14 and C14 should behave exactly the same if the config and bulbs are actually the same.  So I would assume that either the resistors they provided were defective or under-speced, or maybe you installed them incorrectly- perhaps on the full-time-power wires instead of the turn wires?

If one replaces only the front lamps with LED bulbs, there might be enough load in the rear incandescent bulbs to still flash correctly- but perhaps faster than normal (since it was designed to see 42W/84W of load (turn/hazard)).  There is no chance of avoiding "hyperflash" with LED bulbs in all 4 corners without the use of load resistors or a replacement flasher unit.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
The ZX14 and C14 should behave exactly the same if the config and bulbs are actually the same.  So I would assume that either the resistors they provided were defective or under-speced, or maybe you installed them incorrectly- perhaps on the full-time-power wires instead of the turn wires?

If one replaces only the front lamps with LED bulbs, there might be enough load in the rear incandescent bulbs to still flash correctly- but perhaps faster than normal (since it was designed to see 42W/84W of load (turn/hazard)).  There is no chance of avoiding "hyperflash" with LED bulbs in all 4 corners without the use of load resistors or a replacement flasher unit.

The ZX14 and the C14 SHOULD have behaved the same. They did not. We were using turn signals that had built in resistors. Everything was from the same manufacturer, the ZX just didn't like it.

The Auxito LED turn signals that I linked to at the beginning are the ones with the built in resistors. They did not hyperflash on my C14 or anyone else that I know who got them. The ZX is the only one.

When I added in the new sockets and bulbs, the turn signal was the only thing even hooked up when I had the ballast resistor in-line. I hadn't even connected the key on power yet. It's probably due to the rear bulbs still being LED. It wasn't unexpected, that's why I tried it out before finishing the install.

I could ohm out the resistors that the kit came with, or do the same with my flasher circuit, but neither is needed. This isn't about somewhat expected hyperflashing. I don't know that I'm even going to correct it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »
The Auxito LED turn signals that I linked to at the beginning are the ones with the built in resistors. They did not hyperflash on my C14 or anyone else that I know who got them.

Sorry, I wasn't following what you were saying.  I didn't realize you were talking about two different bulbs.  Speaking of which:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHMNDF2/

I didn't even know there WERE LED bulbs with built-in resistors!  Very convenient, but LED's hate heat.  I am surprised this type of bulb would last.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2022, 07:20:18 AM »
I didn't even know there WERE LED bulbs with built-in resistors!  Very convenient, but LED's hate heat.  I am surprised this type of bulb would last.

I ran those for a full year in the Phoenix, AZ valley. Rode it all summer. There is no sign of degradation in the ones I pulled out. I was skeptical too, but the proof is 12 months desert riding.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:29 AM »
There are 2 types of flasher relay.
1- Old school that give hyperflash if the bulb resistance is too high. They do this because the flash speed is set by a built in capacitor and by the resistance of two bulbs (front & rear) in parallel.
2- New ones that flash at a fixed speed regardless of bulb resistance.

Rather than fit a resistor that uses just as much power as the old bulb used, why not just upgrade the flasher unit to the new style?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121420785353
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK