Author Topic: Slime compressor/kit, which one??  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Slime compressor/kit, which one??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
This is the one, but I wouldn't use the slime.. Just plug it until you can also patch it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110954923717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »
This is the one, but I wouldn't use the slime.. Just plug it until you can also patch it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110954923717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks W18. Will the slime ruin the TPS, is that why not to use it?  ???

Also, it looks like some of them have a pressure gage on them, and this one does not, wouldn't that be a worthy feature when airing up a tire?  :-\

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
First, I am not an authority on tire sealants, nor am I a chemist, so my in depth knowledge on the chemical properties is leveled
off at the layman's understanding. With that said, injecting a tire sealant through the same port that you inject air through, the nozzle and the TPS
on the other end is getting 'slimed'. How can one expect that unit to still operate as intended? I don't know if the Slime is safe to use
on (in) TPS units, but the Slime must have some type of adhesion compound(s) in it in order to seal the punctures. Wouldn't this compound also adhere
to the TPS? JMHO.

Now as for the pressure gauge on the pump, I haven't missed it, and if having one would mean an increase in size, then it wouldn't be for me. I'm a
frickin pack rat, and I attempt to carry as much as possible on the bike, using as little room as possible. Instead of a mounted gauge, I use an Accutire
digital gauge. Works for me, but to each their own. I do have other air compressors in my cages that do have gauges, but my storage areas are larger,
and so are the compressors. Hey, their car tires..Again, JMHO
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »
I used slime before on my truck when I got a flat once. It sealed the hole good but it threw my tire balance off so bad I had to get a new tire. The tire guy tried to get as much out of the tire as he could but couldn't get it to balance right. My truck tires cost 300 a piece so I was not happy about that! So if you got to use it to get home I guess you have no choice, but just keep in mind it may cost you a new tire. With that said though, depending on how bad you puncture it you may need a new tire anyways.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »
I have the 3rd one. I bought just the compressor, & have been using it for several years. Great little compressor, & I even use it for routine topping off of tire pressure. Works fine on the 10 amp dashboard accessory socket, but probably would blow the 5 amp one on the newer bikes.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline mike

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »
#3 for the bike & #4 for the truck. Add some sticky rope plugs, glue, pliers & a knife.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 05:40:41 AM »
3rd one and it comes in a nice CD type case with a cable you can plug into the SAE connections like a batt tender.   Got mine at Autozone with a rope type plug kit.   Used it 2x now with no probs. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
Cool, thanks for the help guys, sounds like the 3rd one it shall be, I just bought it.  :)   :grouphug: :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
Late to the game, but that's the same I have.  Lucky for me I have never needed it on a bike, but it will do truck tires ;)  In the midle of nowhere, surrounded by cows, you get the idea.  It worked.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
Don't use Slime. It will wreck the sensor. There was a thread on the other forum about that. My son used it and it actually plugged the valve stem when he did not get the air filler hose connected properly and quite a bit of air escaped. Next time he tried to fill the tire, it was plugged.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Slime compressor/kit
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
Have a question for you guys...

My Slime compressor KIT arrived today, I notice it has plug socket to plug into the accessory port but also has an extension that has connections just like a Battery Tender. I already have a Battery Tender lead on my bike, can I just power the compressor with that straight off my battery or will that damage/fry the compressor??  :-\ ???

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
I use mine on the pigtail.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
I use mine on the pigtail.

Hey GP, is a "pigtail" that the Battery Tender lead that goes straight to the battery?  ???

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
yes

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »
Cool, thanks!  :chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:20 AM »
Have a question for you guys...

My Slime compressor KIT arrived today, I notice it has plug socket to plug into the accessory port but also has an extension that has connections just like a Battery Tender. I already have a Battery Tender lead on my bike, can I just power the compressor with that straight off my battery or will that damage/fry the compressor??  :-\ ???

I have the pigtail attached to mine, but change the fuse to a 10amp, and have spares..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »
also if you installed Powerlet BMW style power ports directly to the battery they sell a cable with the proper style of connection that you can plug in and charge through.  Then you can lose the tender cable.  I will use the same cable/plug to power my Slime when I install the Powerlet Port.   One less cable on the bike. 
http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-basic-plug-to-sae-garage-duty-cables/315

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
I just saw your fuse block configuration and it looks like you are only running a 3A fuse to the power sockets and a 10A to the heated gear.  If you run the Slime I think a 15A is suggested.  I plan on running my Powerlet Socket directly to the Battery and charging through it and Powering the Slime with it using a 15A fuse.