Author Topic: Steering problem  (Read 6941 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Steering problem
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
 :battle:   I just like this smiley set.  Makes me smile.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
:battle:   I just like this smiley set.  Makes me smile.

Wrong thread for that, pal.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »
Hey last friday I had a tie rod end snap OFF 2009 Ram diesel 4x4 a $60,000 truck new , I called everyone I could and they would NOT pay my tow , this was a safety recall for just what It did , they told me the former owner should have had it replaced  ::)
Then they charged me $ 125.00 for a front end aligment and $  27.00 for shop **** ??
I could have died , the front tires were both turned in words would not go forward or back
EVERONE is out to screw the little guy. :censored:

Don't be SO tender  :grouphug: loin.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
You may even want to report this to the NHTSA as you are quite correct if it locked up whilst riding severe results could have happened.  This isn't the first time we've seen reports of this issue.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

We still don't know if the bike had any service prior to this.   I see four possible cases:

Case #1- it was not taken in for the proper prior 600 mile service- owner's fault, reporting to nhtsa.gov not appropriate.  Towing and costs are owner's problem.

Case #2- owner decided to perform prior 600 mile service himself and did not follow all service requirements to check and tighten the bolts- owner's fault, reporting to nhtsa.gov not appropriate.  Towing and costs are owner's problem.

Case #3- it WAS taken in for the proper prior 600 mile service- shop's fault for not checking and tightening as required by the manual- reporting to nhtsa.gov STILL not appropriate.  Shop should be liable for towing and any repairs- it is not even a warranty claim.

Case #4- it has not been 600 miles yet.  In THAT case it is appropriate to report to nhtsa.gov AND it is a warranty claim.  Towing might not be covered under warranty (I am not quite sure how that works).

To original poster- without all the information, other posters won't know how to respond, and some might make assumptions that lead to wrong conclusions.  Most everyone on these forums are extremely helpful and kind. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
This actually happened on my '08 and several others have reported the same thing. There is a projection going straight forward off the frame of the bike, and the front fairing mounts directly to this via two fairly long bolts and nuts. In something like the first year I had the bike, I noticed at one point that it seemed I had to keep raising the headlight aim but did not really think about this too much.

One day I was doing something around the handlebars and noticed when looking down behind the fairing there was a bolt head and part of a stud sticking out of what seemed like nowhere. Looking further, the end of the bolt was caught in the frame mounting block but the fairing part that also mounted to it was hanging free. After looking at the parts fiche it was apparent that there were supposed to be two bolts in that block; one was missing entirely. So I put a couple of new bolts through both blocks but had to jack the front fairing up to get them to go through (hence the source of the headlights drooping). Put nuts and washers on the other side and something like five years later, no more problem nor have the nuts ever loosened. Just a wild guess on my part but I suspect that those bolts may not ever had nuts put on them when the bike was assembled at the factory.

Glad to hear you found the problem and it is all set.

Brian

kwakrider, You were right. Brought it over to the dealer. That's exactly what he said. One retainer bolt came loose and fell into a pocket near the steering causing a 1/2 block turning left.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »
kwakrider, You were right. Brought it over to the dealer. That's exactly what he said. One retainer bolt came loose and fell into a pocket near the steering causing a 1/2 block turning left.

Glad you got that soted out mate...without having an incident because of it. Loctite is your friend!!  :)

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:49 AM »
Would someone please post a pic of the area where the bolt gets loose?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
It's been posted before, just tryin to think if it was in this incarnation of the forum....  If I find it, I'll post a link.