Author Topic: painted or bed liner-ed lower  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Dade22

painted or bed liner-ed lower
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
Any one have photos of a painted or a bed liner sprayed lower fairing?  The matte ones that is.

I read someone on here did spray theirs with the bed liner spray.  I would like to know what brand/kind they used and a few photos to see what it looks like.

Thanks

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: painted or bed liner-ed lower
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
I know a member painted theirs black a couple weeks ago and posted photos..I read your post and fully understood how you felt.  I know the shift work is rough and sleep is at a prime.  Your wife was trying to help out and I know she must have felt bad.  Fortunately it is only money and she did not get hurt.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2297.msg26338#msg26338

Offline Dade22

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
Yep.  I know.  I was upset at the damage not at her.

Thanks

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
I dony have pics, but some of the local stunt rides paint there whole bike with rinoliner, and it looks prdtty good

Offline Dade22

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
cool.

Dupli-color and plastikote both have bed liner sprays.  Plastikote also has trim pain that is matte black.  Maybe that with the plastic primer would be an option for the lower.

Dunno...wife says to order the parts and be done with it.  Its still 650.00 I would rather be spending else where.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
I bought a rattle can of spray on bed liner stuff to coat the inside of my hugger.  When I was at the auto parts store shopping for some, I noticed one brand had exclusions on what it could & could not be used on.  As I recall, I ended up with a can of Plasti-Coat brand stuff.

It covered surprisingly well and consistent.  The surface was rough fiberglass matte, and once I was finished, I was questioning why I paid good money to have the outside professionally painted, instead of just using this stuff.

If you are worried about final appearance, you could always use the inside of the lower fairing for a test surface, to see what it will look like before you use it on the outside.  Just food for thought.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Dade22

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »
Fantastic idea.  I will pull off at the next town and see if I can find some at the parts store or a wally world.

dade22

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
The ones i have seen were done at a shop that does trucks, i know they can dye it colors, so you maybe able to pick a matte color

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:23:16 AM »
cool.

Dupli-color and plastikote both have bed liner sprays.  Plastikote also has trim pain that is matte black.  Maybe that with the plastic primer would be an option for the lower.

Dunno...wife says to order the parts and be done with it.  Its still 650.00 I would rather be spending else where.

any option is better
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »
I've used bedliner paint to cover things like bumpers and rocker panels on my 4runner; fork leg lowers on my bikes, inner body panels on my voyager, etc... it covers really well and is tough. I have a couple c-10 parts bikes I'm going to put together with panels from several bikes, and the piant job will be bedliner paint. it's good stuff, and hides problems super-well. steve