Author Topic: New 4 into 1 pipe finally finished !! New Pics added  (Read 14925 times)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: New 4 into 1 pipe finally finished !!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
Pardon me from poaching over from the C14 side, but I saw the subject and had to check it out.

I was just wondering why the C10 guys would want to change from dual exhausts to single, while the C14 guys want to change their single exhaust into duals?

Its always amazed me how no one questions a BMW rider as to why they have single sided exhaust, same with V-strom. I'll explain it as simple as I can, IT LOOKS GOOD, SOUNDS GOOD, and RUNS GREAT. And as Ted mentioned
there is a considerable weight advantage. Being a former dragbike racer I know a little about how horsepower to weight ratio works. I am going to weigh everything when I get finished and see exactly how much we are talking
about but its atleast 25 to 30 lbs difference I would guess. But the most important reason for building my 4 into 1 system was because one muffler sounds way better than two mufflers (when done right of course). The only problem with the C-14 was that gosh aweful muffler that mama Kaw put on it to start with. There are alot of good looking mufflers out there, but alot of them are WAY over priced. I choose the Delkevic because it looked good and was reasonably priced. Bottom line is there is nothing that sounds better than a well tuned 4 into 1 exhaust system.
Heck the reason a Ferrari sounds so good is not because it has quiet mufflers right. My pipe is not loud or uncomfortable to the ear. It makes a sweet sound that is music to the ears of this old dragbiker.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
OMG Ted !! I found a place that does ceramic coating that is 30 miles from here. Will be calling them
on thursday.

Can't wait to see them!!!

Risde safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
Can't wait to see them!!!

Risde safe, Ted

Dropped both pipes off yesterday to get coated, so whoever is the lucky recipient of the other one will
have nice ceramic coating on it.

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
Yes Sir What Mr. Jim said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
I know alot ogf guys are about the "sound" of the exhaust. Personally, I'd just about prefer if it were silent; I find exhausts invitations to be the proud recipient of performance awards from admiring LEO's. all that matters to me is that it works! Steve

Offline JP

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
Well after months of preparation I finally got the new pipe fitted and welded up. Work and illnesses have severely cut into
my tinkering time, but persistence pays off.

Which one you talkin bout? I see 2, or you talkin bout 2.
I bet the 1st one is better at high rpms?

Offline vinny

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Looking good. I hope it gives you a decent result at the dyno.

As far as the swapping from two silencers to one - it is not something I want to do. I prefer the "balanced" look that a silencer on each side gives. Even though it is heavier and not as good at scavenging.
But on the plus side, it does not give the game away when other people see the bike. A 4 into 1, tells people that you have been looking to add more horsepower and less weight.
I prefer the 1109 kit and twin silencers. 8)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
Jim, for my later on project I have a spare header, If I attempt this ontario set up next year, I noticed in your webshot pics on the original ontario mockup those calguard labeled 2/1 perfect small collectors, what size are they and who carries them for sale plsr. thx Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Jim, I also have been meaning to ask you but kept forgetting, on your rear brake caliper conversion, Did yu make the caliper to swing arm stay bar or using one from a different bike, I noticed ot it looks great and looks a little lighter, can you give me some idea. thx
steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
Jim, I also have been meaning to ask you but kept forgetting, on your rear brake caliper conversion, Did yu make the caliper to swing arm stay bar or using one from a different bike, I noticed ot it looks great and looks a little lighter, can you give me some idea. thx
steve

He got that idea from me..... That is a is Greg Couch made from billet alum brake stay for a ZRX1100 you can find one on the zrxoa forum.only need to drill a one of the bolt holes larger to make fit. It is so much lighter thn the stock steel crowbar.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
thx again Tony, regards Steve

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »

Your most welcome....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

Yeah, what Tony said !!!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
Which one you talkin bout? I see 2, or you talkin bout 2.
I bet the 1st one is better at high rpms?

JP; If your asking about the 2 sets of photo's.
The first pictures are Jims new design (4 into 1's) using an Ontario Lower Pipe.
His dyno curves show that his new Design flows well across the entire rpm range.
Unfortunately, the Ontario Pipes are now VERY hard to get!
I posted my photo's to show there is a way to built a system if you do not have Ontario Lowers.
(And to stirr up a Bar bet with Jim)..

Several years ago Jim built his First/original set.
The second pictures are "my" version of "Jims original 4 into 1 design".
On "his" original design he used a stock Connie system.
He closed off the left muffler and used the stock crossover to move the exhaust gases to the right side.
On the dyno it showed an improved power curve over stock but hurt it a bit at the top rpm's.

I copied his "Original design" and made mods that I hope will help:
I built larger head pipes with anti reversion venturi's, closed off the right muffler and built a larger/smoother flowing crossover to move the exhaust gases to the left side. Plus, I added a larger exit pipe.  
My system is a heck of a Lot more work than either of his, and probably not nearly as effective as his New Design.
Only the Dyno can tell which is better!

His new system "rocks"...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
Thanks Ted. I'll tell you one thing, the original design was alot easier to build than the new one. I could convert one of the original connie exhausts to a 4 into 1 in about two hours. I'll tell you somethinmg else that the original design had,
fuel mileage. If you remember the first ride with that setup was when I went to Big Bend with you guys, and I got 50+
MPG for that entire trip. So the original design did have some merit.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
50 MPG??
Somehow, I suspect you just got the attention of every Gas Mileage Guy that reads this discussion!

Do you mean it takes you 2 hours to take everything off,  do the mod to the exhaust system, and reassemble?
Or, it takes you 2 hours to mod the system after it is off the bike?

Heck,,,, It takes me that long to get the plastic, radiator, etc, off the bike!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
50 MPG??
Somehow, I suspect you just got the attention of every Gas Mileage Guy that reads this discussion!

Do you mean it takes you 2 hours to take everything off,  do the mod to the exhaust system, and reassemble?
Or, it takes you 2 hours to mod the system after it is off the bike?

Heck,,,, It takes me that long to get the plastic, radiator, etc, off the bike!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry Ted, I meant 2 hours to do the mod. Of course I'm getting pretty good at removing the plastic. My plastic
and exhaust pipes have been off so many times they have stretch marks on them.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
Just got the headers back from the ceramic coating place today, THEY LOOK AWESOME !!! will post pictures as soon as I can take some.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
Ok here are the pictures of the ceramic coating job. $75 per set was a pretty good deal I thought. Got them insatlled today so I will have the muffler audio/videos very soon.

Offline John Mc

Re: New 4 into 1 pipe finally finished !! New Pics added
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »
Hi All,
I just received my 4-2-1 from Jim yesterday.  Does that mean that mine are number six of ?  Jim really does a nice job.  Now I am trying to figure out what muffler to use and whether there is anyting else I want to get before removing all the plastics and radiator.  About all I can think of is a muzzy fan since I have the filter adapter, carb jetting, exhaust gear, bowls from a ZG1200, tank quick removal setup, side cover knobs, stick coils, and improved shift linkage.  Just keeping up in Southeast Lousiana.
It will be a while before I install the exhaust as the weather here is incredibly warm!  Shoot, I could wait until August when only the devil rides around here.
Jim, Steve, T-cro, and Murph - thank you.
John Mc