Author Topic: Tire sizes...options?  (Read 21566 times)

Offline medicevans

Re: Tire sizes...options?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
Dang it Don!  I saw 130 and read 120. Well, I still am wondering about the 733/734 combo. Or may just scrap it all and get E3s and be done with it.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Ok, so to clarify a bit, I know that the front radial can be a 120/70 18 or the 110, but what is the biggest radial we can use on the back? 
If a 160 radial would fit, that would open up a few more possibilities I think..but I dont know if it will fit or not. 
Say what?

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
I don't know about you but I consider anything that increases the effort required to initiate a turn, and anything that reduces the loss of "flickability" to be a pronounced loss of handling.
I think of it more like power steering vs non-power steering in a car.  Neither improves or degrades the handling... the two systems just require a different amount of pressure to achieve the same effect.

I also find the loss of feel in the front end due to the dampening effect of the heavy tire to be unacceptable.
Again, that's subjective.  Snarf and I really like that heavy "planted" feeling.  But I can understand why not everyone appreciates it.

Any discussion of Michelin Pilot GT's actually is valueless at this point in time. Michelin abandoned you Wing size tire guys, just like they abandoned those of us who run stock size tires.
I know... that's a curious turn of events isn't it?  It would be one thing if Michelin replaced the Pilot GT with a new model... but they took a  product line thats R & D was already paid for, and simply abandon it... and for a bike (the 1500cc Gold Wing) that I would imagine still has a lot of units still on the road racking up huge mileage each year.    :loco:

I had planned to run Pilot GTs for as long as I owned my Connie... but now I'm no longer a Michelin customer.  I guess the silver lining is that I'm now looking hard at Shinko and Kenda -- both of which are about half the cost of a set of Pilot GTs. ;)
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
It seems Michelin cares little for existing customers. Metzler seems to be much the same. They both abandoned the C10 and it's riders several years ago.
Some say they make some excellent front tires in sizes to fit the C10 but you'll not see me spending my money on them. My dollars will continue to go to Avon the only tire manufacturer that has continued to support the bike and it's riders.

I try to limit my time on the slab, I'd much rather search out the Blue Highways. I do tend to ride rather hard and have found the Avon to be the only tire in today's market that gives me what I expect out of a tire. Quick turn in, very precise steering, good feel, and stick  are very important to me. I like most wish we had more options but that's just not the case.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Iron Pony in Columbus has these Shinkos, mail order only :
777 Rear: 150/80x16  $51.99          Tourmaster front: 110/90x18  $59.99
Just thought I'd buzz in.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
Iron Pony in Columbus has these Shinkos, mail order only :
777 Rear: 150/80x16  $51.99         

I think that's the price for their 777 front tire... at least it is now.   :)
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
My 2000 will be in need of tires very soon, and if the Pilot GT's were still available I would not hesitate to run another set-no complaints at all.  Since they're NLA, I was planning on the Storm 2 Ultra/Azaro combination.  The Venom rear sounds like an idea, but unless I missed somthing on the Avon site the Venom is bias.  Would you really mix a radial front with a bias rear?  TIA
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
My 2000 will be in need of tires very soon, and if the Pilot GT's were still available I would not hesitate to run another set-no complaints at all.  Since they're NLA, I was planning on the Storm 2 Ultra/Azaro combination.  The Venom rear sounds like an idea, but unless I missed somthing on the Avon site the Venom is bias.  Would you really mix a radial front with a bias rear?  TIA

Has been done both ways so many times that it can not be counted; just be sure that you are using tires that are of relatively equal quality, style, and type. IE don't put a sticky tire in the rear with a long wearing tire in the front. BTW When a Bias tire such as the Venon is listed as "Belted" think of it as an early model radial as the construction is similar.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010