Author Topic: Maintenance good, bad and the ugly.  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Wile

• Kawasaki is Japanese for "Money Pit"
Maintenance good, bad and the ugly.
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
After 14000 mikes I finally went under the skin for some overdue maintenance.  The good news is all the notorious header nuts were tight as well as all the others that are under the "skin" like the valve cover.   The bad news is I have to look elsewhere for the buzzing problems that make my hands go numb.  The ugly is the faring its self. What a pain in the derrière.  But I'm proud to say it all went back together with no spare parts left over.  Installed a K&N air filter.  The old air filter didn't look as bad as I thought it would seeing that I've ridden in the rain a lot (not by choice) and the trip out west last year was very dusty. I was expecting to see an adobe brick in there. I did buy some new plugs but the old ones look like brand new. So I'll save them for an over the winter project.

A senior poster here said the faring removal gets easier after the third time. I wonder if that means like getting one piece on only to find that I was under or over or not lined up with another piece and had to start all over again?
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.
Past Bikes...  A bunch.  Current Bikes 1975 Z1 (the rat bike) and a 2010 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Maintenance good, bad and the ugly.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
It gets easier with more repetitions just because we learn how everything goes together and comes apart, as well as the proper tool sizes to remove which fasteners. Also, we learn the very specific sequences required so there is less and less wasted effort.

I really don't mind removing the fairings, and I really don't mind removing the valve cover (and checking valve lash, changing spark plugs, and similar things that are that deep in the engine compartment) but I really hate removing the frame braces and the fairing stays. My bike has a lot of additional wiring (farkles) and attachments (the actual farkles) that get in the way so it is even tougher than when the bike was stock. I think the fairing stays and the associated wiring, hoses, clips and similar are the nastiest things to remove on the C-14, at least as far as I have had them apart. Removing the driveshaft for example is FAR easier than removing the valve cover just because of all the work to get to the valve cover in the first place.

Brian

After 14000 mikes I finally went under the skin for some overdue maintenance.  The good news is all the notorious header nuts were tight as well as all the others that are under the "skin" like the valve cover.   The bad news is I have to look elsewhere for the buzzing problems that make my hands go numb.  The ugly is the faring its self. What a pain in the derrière.  But I'm proud to say it all went back together with no spare parts left over.  Installed a K&N air filter.  The old air filter didn't look as bad as I thought it would seeing that I've ridden in the rain a lot (not by choice) and the trip out west last year was very dusty. I was expecting to see an adobe brick in there. I did buy some new plugs but the old ones look like brand new. So I'll save them for an over the winter project.

A senior poster here said the faring removal gets easier after the third time. I wonder if that means like getting one piece on only to find that I was under or over or not lined up with another piece and had to start all over again?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
Try working on a BMW and get back to me. :o
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

No way, no how.  Not gonna happen.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Or a Gold Wing

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »

Notorious to some, not to me.  >41,000 miles and mine haven't been loose since the day i rolled off the dealer lot.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline BillW

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
Been there done that.
That's part of why I'm on a Connie now.
I figure after diving into my K1200LT the Connie tupperware can't be that bad.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »
I will be ready for my 14k service come springtime (prob sooner but will have it done before riding season really starts (March or so)  The thing that makes me nervous is the valve adjust,  As I am not sure what my job situation will be, I may not have the $ to have a dealer do the valve lash adjust and will likely have to do it myself.   Just VERY worried I will screw something up and grenade my motor ....  Praying I have the $ to have it done :)