Author Topic: C-14 driveshaft spline lube  (Read 15412 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: C-14 driveshaft spline lube
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:03 AM »
So in an all out effort to steal this thread, am I doing grievous damage to my rear splines by using molly grease every tire change?  That works out to about every 10,000 or so miles.  I'm on MY third set of tires.  I honestly THOUGHT I was doing right.  I'm going to the shop tomorrow. 

Please forgive me oh God of the Kawasaki's, I didn't mean to do wrong...  I repent....

Say 50 hail Kipasses and pay a visit to your local Honda dealer for a tube of moly 60.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
Buying Honda lube for a Kwak....totally disgusting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »

How's about Kwak lube for a Honda?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
So in an all out effort to steal this thread, am I doing grievous damage to my rear splines by using molly grease every tire change?  That works out to about every 10,000 or so miles.  I'm on MY third set of tires.  I honestly THOUGHT I was doing right.  I'm going to the shop tomorrow. 

stl,
  You were doing the right thing, clean and lube the wheel splines at each rear tire change.  Brianś target in the OP were the
driveshaft splines.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »
stl,
  You were doing the right thing, clean and lube the wheel splines at each rear tire change.  Brianś target in the OP were the
driveshaft splines.

Mick

I like your sig Mick. 

"Born OK the First Time"

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
 :chugbeer: :thumbs:
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Yeah, but that Honda stuff is the only easily available source of moly paste that I know of.

I could actually make a reference that perhaps using Honda lube on the back end of the bike is the root of all problems, including those with the <k-word> but I don't want to start any more internet lore....  ;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
How's about Kwak lube for a Honda?

Sigh....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
I vaguely remember a lube thread in the near/distant past that took a decidely bizarre path. Are we going there again?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
Hopefully....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
I have never seen a thread drift off into any bizarre areas and I certainly do hope this one is not the first to do so. If it does though you could always demand your forum fee back.....

Threads about spline grease are not so bad but a thread that mentions rear end lube can get out of hand in a hurry….. opps, sorry.

Brian

I vaguely remember a lube thread in the near/distant past that took a decidely bizarre path. Are we going there again?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »

HONDA Lube, my HONDA Jacket, my HONDA parked next to my bike, and KiPass are the only reasons my '10 has went >41,000 miles without even a header bolt coming loose  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
HONDA Lube, my HONDA Jacket, my HONDA parked next to my bike, and KiPass are the only reasons my '10 has went >41,000 miles without even a header bolt coming loose  ;D

Yeah, right....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 04:53:51 AM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 04:57:34 AM »
I have never seen a thread drift off into any bizarre areas and I certainly do hope this one is not the first to do so. If it does though you could always demand your forum fee back.....

Threads about spline grease are not so bad but a thread that mentions rear end lube can get out of hand in a hurry….. opps, sorry.

Brian
Oh yeah, it was about the best spline lube to use in a Honda rear end.

Flathead

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
Oh yeah, it was about the best spline lube to use in a Honda rear end.

Did you really just use 'lube' and 'rear end' in the same sentence???  ;D

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
last tire change I used molygraph on rear splines. guess I will know of any stuck in there as another rear tire change is coming real soon.  but all is quite in and round the hub. not sure whats in the molygraph will have to dig it up and see.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
not sure whats in the molygraph will have to dig it up and see.

Molygraph. Just a wild guess, but Moly and Graphite perhaps? ;)
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV