Author Topic: Windshield Drive Assy  (Read 2476 times)

Offline chap

Windshield Drive Assy
« on: June 19, 2022, 01:35:25 PM »
On my 2010 yesterday, in high winds I managed to break part of the Windshield lift assy. It's the cast bracket which slides on a guide. Of course Kawasaki only sells the complete assy. Does anyone have a lead on a supplier for the bracket. I see there are 2 on ebay. I am in Canada, and they don't seem to ship to Canada. If someone knows where I can get one that would be great. Seems like it may be a common point of failure.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Windshield Drive Assy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 07:54:53 PM »
We have seen them fail before.  I think over time, the vibration and load can get to the [perhaps somewhat brittle] cast part.  There is a thread of people actually repairing one, somewhere.  But yeah, for some annoying reason, Kawasaki wants to sell the whole darn thing, instead of just the one part that fails.  Not uncommon- same problem with the gas cap (you have to buy the entire thing).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deadwood

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
Try  Tipp Custom Parts he had an thread on COG

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
Try  Tipp Custom Parts he had an thread on COG

Do you have a way to get hold of this vendor. I am not a member of COG. Thanks
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 08:23:39 AM »
This is the link.
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/windshield-brackets.54708/
However, the only way I can see to contact him would be to join COG as a forum only member (6 months trial).
Many of us on here are not members over there for various reasons, but you can still read the forum there, just not reply unless you are a member.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 08:40:15 AM »
This is the link.
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/windshield-brackets.54708/
However, the only way I can see to contact him would be to join COG as a forum only member (6 months trial).
Many of us on here are not members over there for various reasons, but you can still read the forum there, just not reply unless you are a member.

Yes. I signed up for a trial membership. But cant message the guy. I cant see any contact info, or website unfortunately. its a bit frustrating, pity he is hiding.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 02:32:11 AM »
Yes. I signed up for a trial membership. But cant message the guy. I cant see any contact info, or website unfortunately. its a bit frustrating, pity he is hiding.
If yer a Member you should be able to PM (Private Message) him, or else just post a question on that Thread. His last post was on Friday just gone (17 June).
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
This has me highly interested in replacing mine even though it's ok. Reading some of the threads, it improves the flex at higher speeds. I might renew my membership as I've been trying to get a hold of members for reasons like this.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 12:25:54 AM »
He posted this yesterday:

"A Concours rider from the other forum contacted me about a bracket, so I looked and several from over there are asking about it. This is my only social media presence and I'll keep it that way. []You can get a hold of me using the first two words of the vendor name at goo//\\\\/gle. [] Otherwise you'll have to join this forum.
Be sure to read the referenced thread in post #2 of this thread. Lots of history there."

And no, simple "googling" doesn't help to reveal the contact info (not that I need to contact him).  But I eventually found this, which is clearly available/exposed/intentional (so reposting it here is not revealing anything not already out there):

https://cog-online.org/Industry-Vendors

Tipp Custom Parts and Machining
David Snell - Tipp City, OH
tippcustom  a t.  gmail  .com
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 03:14:48 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »
Oh boy. I just read the thread over there. He thinks you doxxed him, maxtog. Not gonna lie, makes my petty side a little happy, since I'm not thrilled with the other forum anyway. He did ask (after accusing you of doxxing AND calling you an idiot) to remove his personal phone number.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 03:11:31 PM »
Oh boy. I just read the thread over there. He thinks you doxxed him, maxtog. Not gonna lie, makes my petty side a little happy, since I'm not thrilled with the other forum anyway. He did ask (after accusing you of doxxing AND calling you an idiot) to remove his personal phone number.

Well, all I did is search, like he said to do, and found the publicly listed info of an apparent business and posted it here to help people find him to increase HIS SALES and help  POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS find him.  I did not "dox" him, and I am certainly not an idiot.

You may relay to this person (if possible) that I have removed the phone number as I was asked (I also went ahead and anti-spammed the email).  I also think he should apologize publicly for the nasty accusations and threats!  I had absolutely no ill intent and very much understand and respect people's privacy.

Man, people need to THINK before they post such stuff and give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions.  And his saying he is going to punish people that are not on that forum by not selling to anyone outside that forum is really not nice.  Of course, it is his right, but I don't understand that at all.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 03:38:54 PM »
I don't get it either. I sent COG and email, saying they may want to tell him that his info is public. He sent me an email, that was much less hostile, and I replied stating that it looked like a business phone, and that if anyone was at fault, it was COG leadership for putting the info up without telling him. Makes me glad I'm not a member over there anymore.

His phone has already been pulled off the vendor list, too. I think someone realized they may have screwed up.

And I did tell him you pulled the info. Maybe he'll realize that his response was a bit over the top.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »
And I did tell him you pulled the info. Maybe he'll realize that his response was a bit over the top.

Maybe, maybe not.  We shall see.

I know if *I* made such a horrible, inaccurate accusation, I would bend over backwards trying to make it right.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 04:52:58 PM »
I know if *I* made such a horrible, inaccurate accusation, I would bend over backwards trying to make it right.

I hear that. I knew what you were trying to do and stepped in to help out. Many people don't understand how the internet works.

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 05:15:35 PM »
Well, all I did is search, like he said to do, and found the publicly listed info of an apparent business and posted it here to help people find him to increase HIS SALES and help  POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS find him.  I did not "dox" him, and I am certainly not an idiot.

You may relay to this person (if possible) that I have removed the phone number as I was asked (I also went ahead and anti-spammed the email).  I also think he should apologize publicly for the nasty accusations and threats!  I had absolutely no ill intent and very much understand and respect people's privacy.

Man, people need to THINK before they post such stuff and give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions.  And his saying he is going to punish people that are not on that forum by not selling to anyone outside that forum is really not nice.  Of course, it is his right, but I don't understand that at all.

Well Max, there is an idiot involved, and it isn't you. This is just another reason I decided against taking part in the other forum anymore. I had been on it since getting my Concours in 2010. I certainly would not give them my money, though before they began their idiocy I was planning on doing so. I pay for other forums, just not that one, and there was a reason. This just clinches it.

And yes, you only did what he said to do, search. The information is out there, you did not post anything that wasn't already online for anyone to see. Any he does owe you an apology. I would never buy anything from such a jerk. No loss either, I know plenty of machinists. He is nothing special.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
See the attached photo. Considered maybe buying one. I will not. Ultimately he’s probably taking a bit of a loss on the parts considering how much time it takes, but this just goes to reinforce COG vs freedom of information internet.
Untitled by bigangryscot, on Flickr

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 08:37:21 PM »
Well that clinches it. The guy is a jerk. Max did nothing wrong. If this poor excuse of a human wants to be angry at someone, he should be angry at those at COG. They are the ones who posted his information on the forum for others, like Max, to access. He was listed under the vendor section, it seems he didn't want to be, but that is not Max's fault, nor is there any way Max could have known that. His "apology" is not an apology, it was simply another chance for him to attack Max.

I can understand his feelings, but his anger is misdirected. He should be angry at the almighty COG organization, not Max. To think I was getting ready to send them my money. I never will now.

Offline chap

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 08:38:12 PM »
So i have brought one from the fellow on cog. It is in shipping now, so should be here next week. Hopefully it is stronger for my big tour windshield.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:40 PM »
Well that clinches it. The guy is a jerk… I can understand his feelings, but his anger is misdirected. He should be angry at the almighty COG organization, not Max. To think I was getting ready to send them my money. I never will now.

I agree with all of it. And he’s mad at me for helping him!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 11:54:11 PM »
A famous saying:

"No good deed goes unpunished."

At least he deleted all the postings in his self-created fiasco.  But, apparently, his ego won't allow him to simply post "I am sorry, I over-reacted and said things I didn't mean and blamed someone who did nothing wrong."  Instead, he still doubles-down.  Oh well... life on the horrible, evil Internet continues...

Despite this, I wish him well.  It looks like he is attempting to fill a need of fellow Concours owners.  Perhaps he can help those who found him from this forum, if they are not scared away.