Author Topic: Immobilizing the C-10  (Read 6180 times)

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
Immobilizing the C-10
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:05 AM »
Standing in my garage this morning looking at my C-10 and thinking "if I was a scum bag, how would I steal this bike?". Yes, even in my garage, I use a disc lock and U-lock on the front wheel and the rear wheel is cabled to a ground anchor.

But let's say I'm on a ride and want to stop for 30mins for a coffee (or small beer  :o). I've fotgotten my disc lock and the only thing stopping someone wheeling/riding my bike away is the crap steering lock. So they break the lock and hot wire the ignition (the wires aren't exactly hidden are they?) and off they go.

So how about an immobilizer? The ones that have sirens (like cars), seem to get ignored by anyone passing. What about interupting the main feed to the ignition with a key operated switch, located maybe next to the saddle key? A simple & cheap but effective deterrent. Guy hot wires the bike but it ain't gonna start and he ain't gonna want to push it unless he's really determined.

I think the easiest way would be cut the main battery +ve feed and run it through the key switch. Now I've no idea what amperage the key switch would have to be or whether this is a good or bad idea.

OK, another option is I could buy a C-14 and problem solved  ;D

I'm gonna throw it at you guys to see if you have any ideas or if anything has been done in the past.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
Re: Immobilizing the C-10
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
IIRC, the statistics of most motorcycle thefts occur when the bike is hauled away, not ridden.

That said, a hidden fuel shut off or switched power lead to the ignitors may do the trick without worrying about high amperage loads.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
I would agree, most of the reports I have taken were people hauling the bike away and the bike is usualy parted out quickly on ebay/cragislist type sites.  Those we do recover in one piece were taken for joy rides and are ragged out when the owners get them back.  Lo-Jack is your friend so long as your local law enforcement agency has the equipment to detect Lo-Jack. 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
Standing in my garage this morning looking at my C-10 and thinking "if I was a scum bag, how would I steal this bike?". Yes, even in my garage, I use a disc lock and U-lock on the front wheel and the rear wheel is cabled to a ground anchor.

If I lived somewhere where I was that concerned about my bike being stolen, I'd move.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
That said, a hidden fuel shut off or switched power lead to the ignitors may do the trick without worrying about high amperage loads.

So, one for T-Cro, is there a way of cutting into the stick coil wiring so that none of the plugs fire up?  :-\

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
Pull off the left plastic side panel, the one that covers the J-box.  Open the J-box.  Pull out the necessary fuses. Put the cover back on.  Takes maybe 30 seconds.  Most thieves don't carry spare fuses.  Or, next time you work on the bike, splice into the KILL SWITCH wires and put in a hidden secondary kill switch. 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Or, next time you work on the bike, splice into the KILL SWITCH wires and put in a hidden secondary kill switch.

Cheers Nosmo, that's the simple answer I was after. I'll look into this in the next few days and see what I can come up with.

I love this forum  8)

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
So, one for T-Cro, is there a way of cutting into the stick coil wiring so that none of the plugs fire up?  :-\

Sure put a hidden SPST toggle switch (or key switch) somewhere on the bike and feed the red wire through it.

My Ural has a hi-amp disconnect between the battery (-) and ground; you can leave the key in the switch on this bike as if you don't know where the disconnect is under the tank it is dead in the water.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 02:41:21 AM »
Thanks Tony, red wire it is then. Saves the hassle of locating the kill switch wires  ;)

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Tony - I guess I splice into the two red wires that feed the COPS as shown on the attachment?

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »

But let's say I'm on a ride and want to stop for 30mins for a coffee (or small beer  :o). I've fotgotten my disc lock and the only thing stopping someone wheeling/riding my bike away is the crap steering lock. So they break the lock and hot wire the ignition (the wires aren't exactly hidden are they?) and off they go.

So how about an immobilizer? The ones that have sirens (like cars), seem to get ignored by anyone passing. What about interupting the main feed to the ignition with a key operated switch, located maybe next to the saddle key? A simple & cheap but effective deterrent. Guy hot wires the bike but it ain't gonna start and he ain't gonna want to push it unless he's really determined.

I think the easiest way would be cut the main battery +ve feed and run it through the key switch. Now I've no idea what amperage the key switch would have to be or whether this is a good or bad idea.

OK, another option is I could buy a C-14 and problem solved  ;D

I'm gonna throw it at you guys to see if you have any ideas or if anything has been done in the past.

ROFLOL

Sorry, friend, but you already have your answer.  I seriously doubt that someone who disk locks and U-bolt locks and anchors their C10 in the garage is going to forget to take the disk lock with them.  How did you get the bike out of the garage?  By removing the disk lock.  Just put it (and/or the U-bolt lock) in one of the storage compartments when you unlock the bike.

Two other comments: 
The C14 is a nice bike.
Thieves may not be as interested in your C10 as you may think - I'd suspect that 600 supersports and Harleys are much higher on their target lists.

edited to add the U-bolt lock info - not sure how I missed that :D
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
Tony - I guess I splice into the two red wires that feed the COPS as shown on the attachment?
If that is how your harness is built then yes; I only use one red wire in my harness.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
why not just have a rod go through the holes in the rotors and put  a lock on one end, or loop some cable from the rotor to around the fork?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »
why not just have a rod go through the holes in the rotors and put  a lock on one end, or loop some cable from the rotor to around the fork?

That would be too easy.... More fun to build something hidden and top secret!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »

UUhhhhh, isn't that a disc lock?

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/List.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1003

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
Does anyone know if a C10 has ever been stolen?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
Does anyone know if a C10 has ever been stolen?

OTP, then yes and I'd have thought there was a big demand for used spares in any country where there's many C-10's still running where owners don't want to buy OEM costs.

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
Geez, I rarely even take the key out my bike when in restaurants.  :-\  The C10 has to be really low on the "steal me" list. Maybe I should worry more. I am more concerned about someone grabbing my helmet than the bike.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
Geez, I rarely even take the key out my bike when in restaurants.  :-\  The C10 has to be really low on the "steal me" list. Maybe I should worry more. I am more concerned about someone grabbing my helmet than the bike.

Yeah your C10 would be pretty low on my "steal me" list too......    :rotflmao:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Hey Hey Hey..........I resemble that remark :shoot: :shoot:

So it still has no front brakes....at least it runs! Last time I started it anyway.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.