Author Topic: Waterproof wire connectors  (Read 7474 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Waterproof wire connectors
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
I'll caution you on using Faston 1/4" blade connectors for charging system repairs, those are barely rated for 15amps max on an AC circuit, and reduced from there on a DC circuit. If you use them after you do the crimp, double up and solder the wire junction on the tab for a more reliable connection, jmho.
Better yet is what I found as a better answer (fixing C10 generator connections) is to actually do a soldered splice of 2 wires to each existing wire, and heatshrink that connection, then use 2 Faston blades for each wire in the circuit. This will double the capacity at the actual connection, reducing heat generated downstream in time due to either tab developing an anodic resistive coating... you should never have the problem arise again afterwards.
Yes its a bit more time, and double the connections, but single point of failure due to the redundancy is well worth the effort.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
If i'm understanding your recommendation correctly, you are saying to add a "Y" to each one (actually a "V").  Sounds doable.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
If i'm understanding your recommendation correctly, you are saying to add a "Y" to each one (actually a "V").  Sounds doable.

Yes..
solder 2 wires to each existing wire, and then install Fastons to both the pigtails.
This allows a better continuity, and insures if one connection becomes compromised, the other will still carry load.
make sure you use equal or greater wire gauge than the oem wire for the add ons.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..