Author Topic: Waterproof wire connectors  (Read 7472 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Waterproof wire connectors
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:51 AM »
Not exactly the correct location to post this, but they could be used on the bike just as well.  My boat motor has a "black box" with about 10 wires going to it, all with those clear silicone (plactic?) waterproof connectors on them to connect it to the wire harness.  I don't think these have to be waterproof anyway, as they are up under the engine cover and protected.  4 of the heavier gauge  (14-16ga?) connectors are burned black and melted pretty bad (like my old GL500).  I can see this going bad as soon as it goes back in the water.  Does anyone know where or who sells appropriate connectors to replace these?  The boat shop was no help as they just wanted to sell a new harness and box.  I have plenty of slack in the wiring still, I just can't find a decent connector.  I thought about soldering but am undecided.  I also searched the web but get way to many to look at that are just junk.  I do have a Grainger's near me but haven't stopped by to ask (didn't see them on their website).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Waterproof wire connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:43:38 AM »
Beings you have a Grainger close by check these out. I know the talk (I don't necessarily disagree with it) about crimp connectors, but I have used these and they do work. Can shrink them with a match.
http://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Butt-Splice-Connector-3HY92?searchQuery=3hy92
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:47:08 AM »
Thanks.  Maybe I should be more clear as I have a boxes of those in blue, red, and yellow.  I am hoping to use connectors that can be pulled apart if needed (male and female ends), not the permanent type.  Otherwise, I would just solder.  They can be seen in the upper right of the pic.  They are also the same in the lower center.  The water is from me degreasing it.  It is usually never wet inside here.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

jirod

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
I buy them at any auto parts store, fill them with silicone grease for extra protection, sometimes put heat shrink over them.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
Those are looking about right.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »
 :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
I think I have found something I like.  The leads that are burned are coming from the stator and charging system as near as I can tell so there would be high amperage and any resistance would be bad.  Two of these from the local hobby shop should do the trick.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/eflite/eflite_connectors/EFLAEC303.html

Offline VTer Bob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
I've used a pile of these on my old KZ's.

http://miniurl.com/668bc

Check the next to last row...

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:58:52 AM »
In the past, I have used Posi-Locks  http://www.posi-lock.com/posilock.html

To waterproof them, I just use shrink tubing.  If I ever need to take them off just simply cut the shrink tubing.

I have used these connectors for years and can not ever recall one of them coming apart.

2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:22 AM »
In the past, I have used Posi-Locks  ...  I have used these connectors for years and can not ever recall one of them coming apart.

Nice.  I forgot about those.

And Bob, I can't view your site at work for some reason.

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
In the past, I have used Posi-Locks  http://www.posi-lock.com/posilock.html

To waterproof them, I just use shrink tubing.  If I ever need to take them off just simply cut the shrink tubing.

I have used these connectors for years and can not ever recall one of them coming apart.

Definitely +1 on the posilocks. They are expensive as hell though, so when they say they are reusable, REUSE THEM!  8)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
Definitely +1 on the posilocks. They are expensive as hell though, so when they say they are reusable, REUSE THEM!  8)

I'm going to have to give them a shot. Maybe this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-375

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
Molex(like) connectors are nice, but crimping them sucks. You have to have the right tool to do it, and if you bought a crappy crimper at radioshack, that aint the right tool. When I converted my givi e52 into a powerhouse I used a 12 pin molex connector for the harness and its connected under the seat. I dont really need it to be any more weatherproof, but I can always wrap it in elec tape.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 05:47:16 AM »
Thanks gPink.  I browsed their site and found the answer.  Looks like this place carries the clear sheaths and connectors that i'm looking for.  It may sound a little overkill, but the connectors on this motor are notorious at burning the connectors when a little resistance is created (it's the charging system).  A few are already pretty far down that path.  I'll solder and crimp the new ones.  Breaking down on the side of the road is just a little different than breaking down in the middle of the river with a literal "boat load" of people.
Covers:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sheaths/sheaths.html
Terminals:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Terminals/Open_Barrel/open_barrel.html

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 06:05:58 AM »
For extra protection you might coat with dielectric grease before you snap them together.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »
Molex(like) connectors are nice, but crimping them sucks. You have to have the right tool to do it, and if you bought a crappy crimper at radioshack, that aint the right tool.

This is true for any connector or terminal. You need a real crimper, the cheap ones just flatten the terminal onto the wire. This is not a good connection as far as low-resistance or longevity.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
Never fear - I got dad's 40 year old Mac Tools crimper in the box that is well up for the task.  And I do like (and use) the dielectric grease on this type of connection.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
You may know this but those contacts are double- crimp types. They require a crimping tool that will both crimp the terminal onto the wire but also a larger crimping station to crimp the last part of the connector onto the wire's insulation.

Brian

Thanks gPink.  I browsed their site and found the answer.  Looks like this place carries the clear sheaths and connectors that i'm looking for.  It may sound a little overkill, but the connectors on this motor are notorious at burning the connectors when a little resistance is created (it's the charging system).  A few are already pretty far down that path.  I'll solder and crimp the new ones.  Breaking down on the side of the road is just a little different than breaking down in the middle of the river with a literal "boat load" of people.
Covers:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sheaths/sheaths.html
Terminals:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Terminals/Open_Barrel/open_barrel.html
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com