Author Topic: fob programming question  (Read 17754 times)

Offline exi

Re: fob programming question
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
The KiPass ECU? If you have a working KiPass ECU and a valid fob for that ECU, then a dealer should be able to code it to recognize the existing ignition switch and the existing main ECU that are already in the bike.

Brian
I found a key computer ecu (a box with one terminal) and a matching fob. So no ignition switch. It is from a 09 US bike (mine is 08 european). Do you think it will do the job?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:23:08 AM by exi »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
If it is the KiPass ECU that goes under the bike's seat, right in the center, then yes, it should work. You will need to have a dealer program it to recognize the ignition switch assembly and / or the ECU (the main or ignition ECU) before it will work though. There should be no problem using a different year KiPass ECU. I would suggest stopping by or calling your local dealer to make sure they have the KDS3 software required to program the KiPass ECU before taking the bike to them.

Your system may be slightly different than the systems we get here in the US as you seem to be in Europe. ?? Your bikes have oxygen sensors and a different KiPass ECU part number although they should work about the same.

Brian

I found a key computer ecu (a box with one terminal) and a matching fob. So no ignition switch. It is from a 09 US bike (mine is 08 european). Do you think it will do the job?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline exi

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 06:17:25 AM »
If it is the KiPass ECU that goes under the bike's seat, right in the center, then yes, it should work. You will need to have a dealer program it to recognize the ignition switch assembly and / or the ECU (the main or ignition ECU) before it will work though. There should be no problem using a different year KiPass ECU. I would suggest stopping by or calling your local dealer to make sure they have the KDS3 software required to program the KiPass ECU before taking the bike to them.

Your system may be slightly different than the systems we get here in the US as you seem to be in Europe. ?? Your bikes have oxygen sensors and a different KiPass ECU part number although they should work about the same.

Brian
Yes its the kipass ecu. I asked the local dealer they failed to say the US version will work or not. Today i called the main service they told me the US version operates in a different frequency so it will NOT work on my EU bike. So i have to buy a european kipass ecu with fobs and the ignition switch too.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
As long as you get the US ECU and US fobs then the frequency shouldn't matter, because the fobs can talk to the ECU. It just wouldn't work if you used EU fobs and a US ECU.

Offline exi

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
As long as you get the US ECU and US fobs then the frequency shouldn't matter, because the fobs can talk to the ECU. It just wouldn't work if you used EU fobs and a US ECU.
Should be right. Im a little confused because of the service's answer. Maybe they just want me to buy the new set from them. I can buy the US set for about 7 times cheaper than the new one locally so i would give it a try. The guy who sells the US set has the matching main ECU too (with 2 terminals). Maybe it makes the situation better and no coding needed?!

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
When I was going through all of this trying to get new fobs programmed into the bike, the dealer told me the small 'credit card' fob could not be used with my '08 bike. They called Kawasaki and were told the same thing. I went back with the info I got (in my previous posts in this thread) and walked them through it. They were then able to get it done.

My point being - I just don't think some dealers have all that much experience with the KiPass system yet even though it's been on the market for some time now. Be persistent and good luck.

Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
Should be right. Im a little confused because of the service's answer. Maybe they just want me to buy the new set from them. I can buy the US set for about 7 times cheaper than the new one locally so i would give it a try. The guy who sells the US set has the matching main ECU too (with 2 terminals). Maybe it makes the situation better and no coding needed?!

I don't think that you can use a US ECU on an EU bike because the EU bikes have an O2 sensor and the US bikes do not.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
Yes, that is correct- the US version works on a different frequency then the European version and there may be a third type out there.... Australian maybe? Anyway, the fobs and the tire pressure sensors on a European version will NOT work with a US KiPass ECU. There is also the difference regarding the oxygen sensor on the two types (US types do not have an oxygen sensor, European bikes do have that sensor).

You should not need a new ignition switch assembly though. Why do you think you may need a new ignition switch assembly?

Brian

Yes its the kipass ecu. I asked the local dealer they failed to say the US version will work or not. Today i called the main service they told me the US version operates in a different frequency so it will NOT work on my EU bike. So i have to buy a european kipass ecu with fobs and the ignition switch too.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline exi

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
Yes, that is correct- the US version works on a different frequency then the European version and there may be a third type out there.... Australian maybe? Anyway, the fobs and the tire pressure sensors on a European version will NOT work with a US KiPass ECU. There is also the difference regarding the oxygen sensor on the two types (US types do not have an oxygen sensor, European bikes do have that sensor).

You should not need a new ignition switch assembly though. Why do you think you may need a new ignition switch assembly?

Brian
Thanks for the info. So i have to look for a european kipass ecu with matching fobs or buy a new set. Sorry i dont really know how the kawasaki's system works, the dealer told me the bike needs another ignition swtich. Im dealing with used parts and i know the newer bikes in europe has immobiliser built in, but the ignition play no role so it was a bit unusual to me when he told me i have to change it too but i said ok i dont know the system.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
I have not changed the KiPass ECU on a C-14 either so it is certainly possible that you need both a new ECU and a new Ignition switch assembly together. If that is the case it is going to be expensive because the ign. assembly costs a bit more than the KiPass ECU.

I would suggest looking into this further. I still think you can just replace the KiPass ECU and a dealer could program it to work with the existing ignition switch assembly but these parts are too costly to 'buy and try' in my opinion. Maybe a call directly to Kawasaki (in your country) is a good idea?

Best of luck with this.

Brian

Thanks for the info. So i have to look for a european kipass ecu with matching fobs or buy a new set. Sorry i dont really know how the kawasaki's system works, the dealer told me the bike needs another ignition swtich. Im dealing with used parts and i know the newer bikes in europe has immobiliser built in, but the ignition play no role so it was a bit unusual to me when he told me i have to change it too but i said ok i dont know the system.