Author Topic: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!  (Read 50987 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
Alrighty, guys, I've spent some time looking more into this quick-release type of system. I was using the guard for the BMW 1200LT as a model (pictured below) because they have a pretty nice quick-release system on their guard. Now, this is something we could certainly incorporate but I'm just not sure that it's totally necessary due to how easy our guard is to remove already but I want to get your guys opinions. Doing a quick-release system like the BMW will definitely drive up the cost of the guards (by probably about $20-$30) because of the added steps involved. Also, the material cost will go up slightly because we'd have to use slightly thicker-walled material than we're currently using.

If you look at the picture of our current guard, the two bolts are easily accessible and would only take a few minutes to remove. If we were to change over to the quick-release system, the guard would probably come off a bit quicker but we're talking about a savings of maybe a minute or two per side. So, it's a question of whether an extra $20-$30 is worth saving a minute or two. What do you guys think?

MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
Don't need a quick release as long as we can remove the bar quickly without having to deal with that motor mount nut.
Jeff in SoCal. 1998 ZG1000-A13, 1979 RD400F Daytona Special

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
Don't need a quick release as long as we can remove the bar quickly without having to deal with that motor mount nut.

What he said!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
I was thinking about my spring tab idea, and realized it might not be the easiest thing to try to pinch both mounts simultaneously and try to wiggle the bar off at the same time.

As long as you can separate the top bracket mount bolt from the motor mount bolt (i.e. insert a bracket that bolts to both the motor mount and to the bar mount), and looking at the bolt placement, if both used the same 'hex head' or whatever to remove, I think that would be sufficiently easy to get to (as long as you spot welded both nuts to the brackets, which you said you were planning to).  So cap screws or whatever might be the better option.

The other issue with a quick release would be that both the top and bottom would have to be perfectly parallel, in order to be able to yank them.  Or perhaps just have the quick release at the top, and still unbolt the bottom, although if you are undoing one bolt, then you might as well have two similarly sized bolts...

Looking at the above pic, I think if you lowered the mounting hole for the top of the bar down and to the back slightly (say 2 inches), there would still be plenty of room for the bars to fit inside the fairing vents.  You could also 'invert' the mounting hole at the top, with the mounting hole below the bracket instead of above.  Putting it below would hide the bolt from easy view a bit, which might be better for aesthetic reasons.

I might also recommend using an allen head bolt similar to the sizes found elsewhere on the bike for the top and bottom mounts.  Many of us carry a set of allen wrenches with us (and indeed, if you still have the OEM kit under the seat it has allen wrenches), so that might be more convenient.  In my case, I carry a decent set of sockets as well, but my allen wrenches are easier to get to...

That being said, allen versus regular bolts is not that big of a deal.  The bike uses allen heads in most other places though (except where it uses phillips head bolts), so it might match better.  If I'm undoing the fairings, though, I already have the socket set out for the oil change though, so really this is a minor issue at best.

And yes, many of us remove our fairings a lot.  I generally take them all off every oil change, so I can clean the inside of the fairings.  And as these bikes are high mileage bikes, putting 3000-7000 miles on between oil changes can happen fairly quickly - in past years I've changed my oil three times in a riding season.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »
As long as you can separate the top bracket mount bolt from the motor mount bolt (i.e. insert a bracket that bolts to both the motor mount and to the bar mount), and looking at the bolt placement, if both used the same 'hex head' or whatever to remove, I think that would be sufficiently easy to get to (as long as you spot welded both nuts to the brackets, which you said you were planning to).  So cap screws or whatever might be the better option.

The other issue with a quick release would be that both the top and bottom would have to be perfectly parallel, in order to be able to yank them.  Or perhaps just have the quick release at the top, and still unbolt the bottom, although if you are undoing one bolt, then you might as well have two similarly sized bolts...

Looking at the above pic, I think if you lowered the mounting hole for the top of the bar down and to the back slightly (say 2 inches), there would still be plenty of room for the bars to fit inside the fairing vents.  You could also 'invert' the mounting hole at the top, with the mounting hole below the bracket instead of above.  Putting it below would hide the bolt from easy view a bit, which might be better for aesthetic reasons.

I might also recommend using an allen head bolt similar to the sizes found elsewhere on the bike for the top and bottom mounts.  Many of us carry a set of allen wrenches with us (and indeed, if you still have the OEM kit under the seat it has allen wrenches), so that might be more convenient.  In my case, I carry a decent set of sockets as well, but my allen wrenches are easier to get to...

That being said, allen versus regular bolts is not that big of a deal.  The bike uses allen heads in most other places though (except where it uses phillips head bolts), so it might match better.  If I'm undoing the fairings, though, I already have the socket set out for the oil change though, so really this is a minor issue at best.

Very good points! As it is currently, there are indeed two separate motor mount brackets and guard mount brackets. So, once you install the U-shaped motor mount bracket, you never have to fuss with it again. All you have to do is bolt the guard mount bracket to the 2nd, lower hole in the motor mount bracket and viola! Also, two bracket do indeed have nuts tacked to the back so there's no need to fuss with those.

I believe there's a reason we used two different bolts but I'll have to double check that with Armando (the Tech). I'll see what we can do about using the same hardware for both mounts so it all matches.

Also, as far as inverting the bracket, we could certainly look into that but the bolt heads are really only viewable from that specific angle that I took the shot. If you're standing up next to the bike, they're tucked into the fairing enough to where you can't see them except for maybe the lower one. We'll see what we can do, though!

I think we normally like to use those heftier hex heads because they come in grade 9 which is extremely tough stuff and it's hardware we already keep in stock. We do have a few allen head bolts but not near as many sizes and variations as the hex heads we carry. I'll look into swapping over to allen, though and see what it might cost. The allen bolts are probably cheaper but we buy those hex heads in such high quantity that we get a pretty steep discount.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Idea for the look and feel of this bracket...

What if you changed up the angles, like this (see attached image)... probably with a stronger front angle though (I didn't want to cover up the lower bolt in the pic, but so the angle matches the vent angles on the fairing).

Note I flipped the upper mount bolt hole underneath in the attached image as well.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »

What if you changed up the angles, like this (see attached image)... probably with a stronger front angle though (I didn't want to cover up the lower bolt in the pic, but so the angle matches the vent angles on the fairing).

Note I flipped the upper mount bolt hole underneath in the attached image as well.

Ohhhh so you're talking about changing the angle of the guard itself, not just the bracket. As it is now, the bracket does match the angle of the vent but I see what you're talking about in your photo. We had the bar below the top mounting point just so the guard would remain as little as possible but there's no reason we can't flip it and see how it looks.

Also, I like the look of the guard how you have it in the photo. Perhaps we'll try and mock up something similar on Monday (we're closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and see how it looks.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
I knew using the modified pic would be be the best way to explain!  My photochopping skillz are not going to waste...

It just kinda hit me, looking at those Beemer guards.

Mainly, I'm looking for ways to make the guards look more sporty!

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »
I like where 2skies is going. If the tip overs are not better looking AND more stout, you are just reinventing the wheel we already have. Most of the newer bikes have very well integrated appearing protection. That's what would sell me on adding bars to my bike.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Silverado

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 10:00:48 PM »
I too like the front design mod suggested by Two Skies....and dido on insuring both brackets are stout.  I really like how this is progressing.   8)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:40:58 PM by Silverado »

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
OK, pardon my quick imagebashing here, but this should convey something I was thinking about.

Specifically, if a tab from the guard is connected to another tab, which then connects to the engine mount, it might twist backwards in a fall, causing potential damage to the fairing.  Slipping the guard tab over the engine bolt might help prevent this in a simple fashion.  You could also 'fold' the engine mount tab to 'lock' the guard tab into place, as another way to arrest motion. 

I'm illustrating the 'guard over the engine mount bolt' in the attached image, not the 'folded tab' option.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »
I'm on a Photoshop kick.

Here's another view, where I have modified the bracket using the pics posted earlier...

The forward angle on the guard might be just about close enough for angled running boards to prop your feet on, but then it wouldn't be a sport touring bike...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:27:56 AM by Two Skies »

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:08 AM »
And here's using the above image as a baseline to show a crazy crossbar idea, to help prevent the guard from bending backwards in a spill.

(again, don't mind the quick photshop job here)

Essentially, there would be a flat piece of steel that bolts to the two front fairing screw holes, and a third leg on the guard would bolt to the front mounting hole in the fairing, on top of the crossbar mounts.  I'm thinking the crossbar would add strength, and really this mount wouldn't be bearing the brunt of the force, just holding the guard in place to prevent it from bending.

The crossbar/third leg might not be necessary, but that is where I was thinking of adding the third leg for the guard I never got around to making..  If nothing else, might be worth a look at least.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:18:43 AM by Two Skies »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 05:30:48 AM »

That's what i'm talking about!  Looking cool!  And of course still being strong as its intended purpose.  This is getting very interesting.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
I'm glad to see we have more people commenting! I definitely dig the small change in design but sometimes things are more difficult in practice. I can tell you now that the bends you have showcased are quite difficult to pull off and can sometimes weaken the bar but I'll certainly do what I can to copy your image since people seem to dig it. I also like the idea of arresting the bracket so it doesn't twist if/when the bike goes over. I'm not sure we'd have that problem as it's currently designed but it's always nice to be sure. I'll try and incorporate a few of these changes Monday and post more pictures! I do agree the bar needs to be a bit more sporty-looking, though.

Offline Silverado

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
There is a recessed slot on the existing engine mounting brackets where the hex bolt is inserted.  The mounting brackets offered on a competitor's product utilizes appropriate spacers at the four mounting points.  Will this design incorporate spacers to fill the recessed slot(s) at the mounting points?

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
I'm glad to see we have more people commenting! I definitely dig the small change in design but sometimes things are more difficult in practice. I can tell you now that the bends you have showcased are quite difficult to pull off and can sometimes weaken the bar but I'll certainly do what I can to copy your image since people seem to dig it. I also like the idea of arresting the bracket so it doesn't twist if/when the bike goes over. I'm not sure we'd have that problem as it's currently designed but it's always nice to be sure. I'll try and incorporate a few of these changes Monday and post more pictures! I do agree the bar needs to be a bit more sporty-looking, though.

I'm guessing that you'd probably need to have a wider bend than I'm showing in my images/the middle bend, to accomodate your bending apparatus.  The main idea here is to have the lower portion of the bar match the vent angle.  Mainly, I was just trying to illustrate it for the masses here.

If the middle bend was mated with a weld, it might be a little stronger.  I hear welds are often stronger anyways... but I'm not sure if you'll be using one piece of pipe in the final design or not.  Either way it's good.

I did think about 'shortening' the length at the top a bit (imagine the first bend starting about an inch from the end, and bending at a forward angle to meet the center bend, essentially 2 45-55 degree or so angles at different orientations), but I'd imagine that everyone would prefer the extra length to the current top 90 degree bend, as that would be a great place to attach lights... it would look sportier with an 'immediate' bend, but the extra 3-4 inches of length I think would be more useful to the Connie crowd.

As for the third leg, I'm envisioning a bend at both ends of the tube, which depending on your bending apparatus shouldn't be a big deal.  The front bend would terminate/be welded to an 'L' bracket perhaps, or something similar, to mate up with the front fairing bolt.  The other bend, of course, would need to mate with the guard in some fashion.  I'm thinking that both bends would be less than 90 degrees (perhaps a 45 in the rear, and an 80 in the front).  Assuming you feel like mocking up a third leg version.  That third leg would add to cost, of course, so I'd be interested in hearing how many other people would be interested in a third leg version, if it adds sufficient strength to justify the expense.

You could actually keep the front section of the third leg straight, and weld a longer tab (essentially a 'step' tab) to offset the front of the bar away from the fairing, but I'm not sure how that would look aesthetically.  A front bend that terminates at the front of the fairing looks better in my mind's eye, but until you actually see the actual prototype on the bike, it's hard to judge which would complement the bike better.

The crossbar would help a lot in improving the strength, as any forces across the third leg would be distributed across the two front fairing bolts (instead of just one), as well as to a smaller degree the other two mounts on the opposite bar.  This would reduce the chance of tweaking the frame if the bike went down hard, and of course would help hold the main guard in place/keep it from bending backwards.  This is a canyon cage, after all...

Plus, if done right, I think it would look sportier IMHO, plus it gives more bar to attach things to... dunno what you'd attach though!  Bumper stickers maybe?

I'm sure more C-10ers will be commenting shortly.  I'm looking forward to what you guys MC Enterprises guys finally come up with!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »
There is a recessed slot on the existing engine mounting brackets where the hex bolt is inserted.  The mounting brackets offered on a competitor's product utilizes appropriate spacers at the four mounting points.  Will this design incorporate spacers to fill the recessed slot(s) at the mounting points?

I don't believe our current design requires spacers so the spacers inclusion with the competitors set may be linked their their specific design. That I'm not quite sure of, though. I can tell you this, if our design requires spacers they will certainly be included with the guard at no extra cost. I'll have to look into these recessed slots you mentioned and see if they effect our guard at all on Monday when I'm back at the office so I'll have to get back to you on this.

I'm guessing that you'd probably need to have a wider bend than I'm showing in my images/the middle bend, to accomodate your bending apparatus.  The main idea here is to have the lower portion of the bar match the vent angle.  Mainly, I was just trying to illustrate it for the masses here.

If the middle bend was mated with a weld, it might be a little stronger.  I hear welds are often stronger anyways... but I'm not sure if you'll be using one piece of pipe in the final design or not.  Either way it's good.

I did think about 'shortening' the length at the top a bit (imagine the first bend starting about an inch from the end, and bending at a forward angle to meet the center bend, essentially 2 45-55 degree or so angles at different orientations), but I'd imagine that everyone would prefer the extra length to the current top 90 degree bend, as that would be a great place to attach lights... it would look sportier with an 'immediate' bend, but the extra 3-4 inches of length I think would be more useful to the Connie crowd.

As for the third leg, I'm envisioning a bend at both ends of the tube, which depending on your bending apparatus shouldn't be a big deal.  The front bend would terminate/be welded to an 'L' bracket perhaps, or something similar, to mate up with the front fairing bolt.  The other bend, of course, would need to mate with the guard in some fashion.  I'm thinking that both bends would be less than 90 degrees (perhaps a 45 in the rear, and an 80 in the front).  Assuming you feel like mocking up a third leg version.  That third leg would add to cost, of course, so I'd be interested in hearing how many other people would be interested in a third leg version, if it adds sufficient strength to justify the expense.

You could actually keep the front section of the third leg straight, and weld a longer tab (essentially a 'step' tab) to offset the front of the bar away from the fairing, but I'm not sure how that would look aesthetically.  A front bend that terminates at the front of the fairing looks better in my mind's eye, but until you actually see the actual prototype on the bike, it's hard to judge which would complement the bike better.

The crossbar would help a lot in improving the strength, as any forces across the third leg would be distributed across the two front fairing bolts (instead of just one), as well as to a smaller degree the other two mounts on the opposite bar.  This would reduce the chance of tweaking the frame if the bike went down hard, and of course would help hold the main guard in place/keep it from bending backwards.  This is a canyon cage, after all...

Plus, if done right, I think it would look sportier IMHO, plus it gives more bar to attach things to... dunno what you'd attach though!  Bumper stickers maybe?

I'm sure more C-10ers will be commenting shortly.  I'm looking forward to what you guys MC Enterprises guys finally come up with!

I appreciate the extra description, Two Skies. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of what you're suggesting so I'll do what I can to get it implemented on Monday. I do think those suggestions will certainly make the guard a bit sportier though. As of now, the guard comes in contact with the ground on the corner of the lower bend so as long as that part stays where it is, we can modify the upper part of the bar as we like.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
I don't believe our current design requires spacers so the spacers inclusion with the competitors set may be linked their their specific design. That I'm not quite sure of, though. I can tell you this, if our design requires spacers they will certainly be included with the guard at no extra cost. I'll have to look into these recessed slots you mentioned and see if they effect our guard at all on Monday when I'm back at the office so I'll have to get back to you on this.

I appreciate the extra description, Two Skies. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of what you're suggesting so I'll do what I can to get it implemented on Monday. I do think those suggestions will certainly make the guard a bit sportier though. As of now, the guard comes in contact with the ground on the corner of the lower bend so as long as that part stays where it is, we can modify the upper part of the bar as we like.

Hey Ryan!

Yeah, the only change I made to the lower bend was to twist it forward a bit - that bend angle would essentially stay the same (you could just pop the weld, twist it forward a few degrees, and reweld your prototype).  It might contact the ground a fraction of an inch sooner with the change in orientation, so not really much of a change there.  Of course, I'm sure you are being mindful of lean angles for the braver types around here...
 ;D

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
Hey There MCE...

Another country heard from here.  Put another 800 miles on the GTR the last two days. 
Went 300 miles to pick up cute friend, then rode her around for another 100 twisty, fast miles.

Took the very twisty, long way home yesterday.  45,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, and I have a half
dozen other bikes in the garage.  But the GTR is the one I ride the most.  300-400 miles is easy
and comfortable any day.  Days over 1000 miles make me wish for someplace else to put my feet,
if only for a while.

Here is a list.  No photoshop, though.

PRICE
Pretty simple:  I don't have a lot to spend.  Period.  $340 for that other set is a price I don't even
have to think about.  No.  Can.  Do.  If you want to sell me a set, you will have to do better.  Before
TwoSkies started bending the bars, your look nearly identical.  $190 for the front set?   Not me.

You can decide where the price makes the many frugal owners go look elsewhere, or just do
without, but if you are making a barely improved mounting arrangement and aesthetically rather
identical product, I expect you will be splitting the existing market with basically adding ZERO new
customers.

I made set of mirror mount headlight brackets.  $73. from the popular supplier.  I saved about $70.  Next project was some forward light and footpeg mounts, then I saw this thread. 
Maybe I will wait and see what you do here.

FUNCTION
Also pretty simple.  I don't care about the rear bars much.  Not $150 worth.  I don't drop the bike. 
If and when I do, I can fab up a set of mounts AND get some Pelican cases.  Passenger space is
limited already. 

I want to mount a set of lights, and have a seldom-used place for feet.  Those really long days can
be rough on the lower back, etc.  Doesn't have to be anything fancy.  I wouldn't mind a set of clamp-on pegs that would sit in a box most of the time. 

FAIRING REMOVAL, ETC.
Yes, they will take some time to work around.  Ten minutes or so is fine.  More than that is too long.
Less than that becomes expensive, since you will be designing around the removal instead of the
intended function. 

You lose at least one potential sale (mine) by adding a fiddly quick release setup.  Extra crap to me.
All the swoopy bends, too.  I do not want to pay for all that, and I won't.  Having a captured
mount, as discussed above, sounds like good design, though.

I do not expect MY GTR to look like something it isn't.  Mine is a daily driver, high mileage hauler.
Comfort and utility and cost are way more important to me than looking like the latest product
from BMW or KTM.  My GTR is a sturdy draft horse, not a pretend racer or runway model.  But not
a mule, either.  So the wraparound guard just looks silly to me.  No sale for sure.

But that's just me, right?

And good for you for even considering this product.  Yes, there are lots of GTRs out there, and they
do get ridden.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!