Author Topic: My Kneesavers review.  (Read 8880 times)

Offline kzz1king

My Kneesavers review.
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
Well I have had them on for about a 1,000 miles now. First thing I noticed was my feet got a bit cooler. That is a plus and negative in my climate. I used to have to stand up a time or two after mounting the bike  to get my hips aligned. That is no longer an issue.  And they are a lot easier on my aging knees. I really like the stock position but at this point in my riding career I will stick with the kneesavers. I am looking forward to a 500-600 mile day with them. Thumbs up!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Mettler1

Re: My Kneesavers review.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »
  I didn't think they would make that much difference but the do. ;D ;D
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
yeah, there's no way I could do any long rides without them. At 50 miles on stock pegs my right knee is screaming in pain, I have done 5-600 mile days easily with kneesavers. Steve

Offline cugsy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »
This is the bit that gets me too. 6'2" and most of it leg - my first minute is spent moving around to get comfy and even 50/60 miles make my knees stiff. I though maybe it was time to add some risers to the bars but if these work, where do i get them? Murph? Does he post to the little sceptred isle?
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Yes, Murphs. Checkout his website to determine shipping.  http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/

This is the bit that gets me too. 6'2" and most of it leg - my first minute is spent moving around to get comfy and even 50/60 miles make my knees stiff. I though maybe it was time to add some risers to the bars but if these work, where do i get them? Murph? Does he post to the little sceptred isle?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
I am one of the very few that did not like them. 

I was able to purchase a used set, and put them on the bike shortly before I left on a trip.  I did take them for a short test run before the trip, and immediately noticed that I did not like them.  I thought, well they are new, and I need to give them a real test.  I left them on for a weekend ride of about 1600 miles, and as soon as I got home I took them off.  I just didn't like the leg position of them, I felt uncomfortable the entire time they were on.  Just in case anyone is curious I am 6'05" and do have highway pegs on the bike.

I am not trying to get into a debate or say they are bad. I know I am in a small minority, or maybe the only one, that didn't care for them.   
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
I just didn't like the leg position of them, I felt uncomfortable the entire time they were on.
Are you sure you had Murph's Kneesavers and not Genmars?  I had a similar experience to you with the Genmars, as they moved the pegs out and down from the stock position.  The "down" was great, the "out" was what made them unacceptable. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
I've had them almost a year, but only this summer (hot weather) and I find my feet are hotter. I've got a 35" inseam and size 13 feet. Interesting.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
I find my feet are cooler! I actually liked the stock position,more sporty feeling. But my aging knees and hips disagreed!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »
I am one of the very few that did not like them. 

I am not trying to get into a debate or say they are bad. I know I am in a small minority, or maybe the only one, that didn't care for them.   

You are not alone. A friend of mine purchased an 05 from a fellow in Erie, Pa, I rode it back for him. It was fitted with kneesavers, I absolutely hated them. I did not like the riding position and they were a PIA when I was feet  down at a stop or when backing the bike up. He removed them after his first ride on the bike. Another friend who purchased an 06 from Sroby removed them as soon as he rode the bike home. So don't feel bad there are many who don't like them.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
I've got em and love mine. As noted above, there may be some confusion between kneesavers and the Genmar (and I think MCL made one too).  If you have lowerers and stock pegs, you probably don't have the real item. If you have Gold Wing pegs, you have kneesavers.  Very different.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
I don't know if mine are Genmar or Murph's.  I guess I could get off my lazy butt and go look.

They do have the Gold Wing pegs.  It wasn't how far out they put the feet, it was the downward that I did like.  I do have Russell seat and they tend to be a bit higher than stock, so that may be part of the reason.  I just felt like I was dragging my feet, and the leg angle made me feel like I was sliding forward.   The ones I have are well made, and I am sure it is a fix for some, but not for me.  I have never found the stock position of the pegs uncomfortable anyway.  I just got them because they were selling at a great price, and most everyone like them.
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline redden68

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:04 AM »
Put me in the camp that did not like the kneesavers.  I wanted them to work, but they just didn't feel right.  I have a very slightly used set for $100, shipped, for sale.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Just to stir the pot, I like my Genmar because they put your feet farther out. I use the 2fast heat shields and the out of the Genmars is just enough to keep my feet out of the hot blast that comes out of the engine compartment down low by the foot pegs. It took a bit to get usta the pigeon toeing required to apply the brake, shifter not so extreme. They've been on for about 150k miles, I like 'em.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
I have 'em and they are terrific. Then I got Tcro's shifter and it's even better!
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
Please tell me what the shifter did for you in conjuction with the kneesavers.
Wayne

I have 'em and they are terrific. Then I got Tcro's shifter and it's even better!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
Tcro's shifter has more adjustment extension than the stock.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »
 TCro's shifter works great on my bike. Have only missed a shift once (got lazy) in 20,000 miles. More solid than the wimpy Kaw linkage!  :thumbs:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »
Please tell me what the shifter did for you in conjunction with the kneesavers.
Wayne

As commented the linkage that I sell offers more range of adjustment than the stocker does, is more rigid than the stocker and will not flex thus providing for a firm positive feeling shifter.... Reach down with your hand and feel the amount of up/down slop that is in your stock shift linkage; likely have to the tune of several inches right? Once my system is installed and tuned in you will have almost NO perceptible slop whatsoever...

Plus the picture of the broken ball joint will never be your's.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Tele130

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
  I have a very slightly used set for $100, shipped, for sale.

If you still have them please let me know.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!