Author Topic: programing rfid key to start c14  (Read 21148 times)

Offline jbirdnc

programing rfid key to start c14
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
Read a post where a member had a key with RFID chip programed with fob code to start bike. Then he broke the metal key from plastic housing with chip. Can anyone help me find the post.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: programing rfid key to start c14
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
I cannot help you find the post but am watching this thread with baited breath....

Brian

Read a post where a member had a key with RFID chip programed with fob code to start bike. Then he broke the metal key from plastic housing with chip. Can anyone help me find the post.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Use some mouthwash, why don't you!

This one?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12492.msg152468#msg152468

It didn't work, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
Just because it did not work last time does not mean it won't work this time! Don't be so negative, Jim!

:rotflmao:

Breath still baited....

And by the way, we have not had a KiPass thread in a long time now that I think about it for a moment....

Brian

This one?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12492.msg152468#msg152468

It didn't work, though.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Just because it did not work last time does not mean it won't work this time! Don't be so negative, Jim!

:rotflmao:

Breath still baited....

And by the way, we have not had a KiPass thread in a long time now that I think about it for a moment....

Brian

+1  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:18 AM »
 +2 :stirpot:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:55:09 AM »
I cannot help you find the post but am watching this thread with baited breath....

Brian

Yep, mouse catching season will soon be upon us! Let us know how that breath thing works out!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline clogan

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
I went by the local ACE today...they could not read any sort of RFID from my active fob. I may try again with the passive fob...placed it on their reader at all different angles, but no reading resulted. ACE explained that without an RFID reading, he could do nothing for me.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
Already got one of the little rascals. And he didn't like the new- fangled trap either. So far, not a single mouse has fallen for that thing; I either have mice with poor taste or the new trap is just not all that great.

Brian

Yep, mouse catching season will soon be upon us! Let us know how that breath thing works out!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:57:56 PM »
The fob that has the battery is also an RFID fob- that is what works when the battery dies. But nothing wrong with trying the RFID fob either.

Brian

I went by the local ACE today...they could not read any sort of RFID from my active fob. I may try again with the passive fob...placed it on their reader at all different angles, but no reading resulted. ACE explained that without an RFID reading, he could do nothing for me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »

That isn't surprising.  The system that Kawasaki uses is fairly obscure and probably not used in any cars and I bet those systems are designed mostly for car keys.  One would think the technology would be similar enough, but who knows.  If you do find someplace that can do it, I bet a lot of us would be interested... can't hurt to have yet another spare and without paying a dealer extortion fee.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »
That isn't surprising.  The system that Kawasaki uses is fairly obscure and probably not used in any cars and I bet those systems are designed mostly for car keys.  One would think the technology would be similar enough, but who knows.  If you do find someplace that can do it, I bet a lot of us would be interested... can't hurt to have yet another spare and without paying a dealer extortion fee.

Seems to be similar to my wife's 2014 Ford Escape. If the battery on the FOB runs low, you hold it directly up to the start button.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »
Seems to be similar to my wife's 2014 Ford Escape. If the battery on the FOB runs low, you hold it directly up to the start button.

And my 2009 Infiniti G37S, which also has both active and passive RFID in the fob.  But the encoding, protocols, frequencies, and chips used can vary wildly, which is why I was saying it is possible those systems in stores might not read it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »
And my 2009 Infiniti G37S, which also has both active and passive RFID in the fob.  But the encoding, protocols, frequencies, and chips used can vary wildly, which is why I was saying it is possible those systems in stores might not read it.

Agreed. I wouldn't expect any of that to match.

Offline clogan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

I was hopeful, only because of rumors that someone had actually done this for his C14. There's even a You Tube video of it; it has even been cited on certain forums. IIRC, this chap also used ACE Hardware to read the RFID, and supply him with a "Ford truck" key that produced the same RF as his fob. My conclusion: either this was BS, or that lad's ACE is smarter than my ACE.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
But if you had to guess, which one of those two choices would you think most likely?

;) :D

Brian

I was hopeful, only because of rumors that someone had actually done this for his C14. There's even a You Tube video of it; it has even been cited on certain forums. IIRC, this chap also used ACE Hardware to read the RFID, and supply him with a "Ford truck" key that produced the same RF as his fob. My conclusion: either this was BS, or that lad's ACE is smarter than my ACE.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
I do not think that is correct- the system Kawasaki uses is Mitsubishi's MISTY system, which was developed for and predominantly used on cars. In fact, I believe Kawasaki is getting nothing but the, oh, let's call it 'run off' of the auto industry and is simply using what is available and inexpensive because there have been (and will be) millions of cars to pay for the R&D of the system in the first place.

And more power to whomever can get the Ford (or whichever mfg's parts) to work but really, what terrible fees are we avoiding? $35 for an RFID fob and what, $45 to code the bike to recognize it? And how many of these will the average, or even extremely careless C-14 owner need- 2? Three? Three seems like a lot of fobs to me, especially when added to at least one, and far, far more often two that come with the bike in the first place.

We've been through this 208,508,962,007 time by my count and it comes out the same way: KiPass is robust, reliable and generally works extremely well. Yes, the activation switch does occasionally stick but there are easy, cheap (IMO) and easy fixes guaranteed to work around that one. After that, it is basically owner carelessness and / or ignorance that causes the small amount of grief associated with this system, is it not?

At the end of the year, after we pay for the portion of the bike we used (devaluation), fuel, tires, general maintenance, insurance and city water to wash the bike, I think the cost of KiPass has long since disappeared into the ether. We would be far better off worrying about tire life IMO- at least we might get a little return on that attention (longer tire life through proper inflation, carrying what is needed to repair a puncture- something actually likely to happen, etc.).

There we go- my Fall sermon on KiPass. Remember, you read it here first folks!   :o ;D

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:09 PM »
I do not think that is correct- the system Kawasaki uses is Mitsubishi's MISTY system, which was developed for and predominantly used on cars.

Actually, I believe MISTY was just the Mitsubishi encryption algorithm used in the system, which has been used in several categories of devices.  Maybe they used the name for multiple branding?  In any case, I am not aware of the actual system (software, radios, same frequencies, etc) that is being used by Kawasaki being used in any car.  Doesn't mean it isn't, but I have never been able to find anything showing it has been.  It might be all "hush hush" too from a security standpoint.

There we go- my Fall sermon on KiPass. Remember, you read it here first folks!   :o ;D

Well, we all love KiPass threads!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:14:25 PM by maxtog »

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 04:18:15 AM »

I believe you're referring to this video? I dunno if it's real or not...I think Fred Harmon was saying it's possible, or he was going to look into it or something, so it must be true.

Concours 14 kipass spare
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:06 AM »
I believe you're referring to this video? I dunno if it's real or not...I think Fred Harmon was saying it's possible, or he was going to look into it or something, so it must be true.

Concours 14 kipass spare

First time I've seen this. He doesn't say which kind of key he bought at the hardware store. Critical information I would think.