Author Topic: Pirelli Angels ST rear with 1mm of tread above tread wear indicators  (Read 9241 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Pirelli Angels ST rear with 1mm of tread above tread wear indicators
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
It is impossible for anyone to really predict tire life remaining.... that said, the second photo makes me think there are quite a few miles left in that tire. It looks like a lot of tread to the wear bars and there will still be some life left in the tire when the wear bars are at the surface.

As someone else said though, if you change your own tires you can swap out the rear tire now and then put the old tire back on to chew up whatever tread is left. It is basically up to you and depends on how much you like (or hate) changing tires and what your own labor is worth to you. I will say that I have saved tires that are maybe 2/3 worn and have not yet put any back on a motorcycle to 'finish them off' though. Another thought is that having a tire around with some tread life can be handy if you damage a tire and need a quick replacement.

Sorry, none of this answers your question. I am sitting on the exact same fence too- I probably should change out the rear tire but I think I will squeeze one more trip out of it.

And a last thought, the tires for a C-14 are extremely common so you should be able to find a rear tire just about anywhere if you really need one on a trip. It might not be the most desirable type or brand but you should be able to find a very suitable tire at about any motorcycle shop that sells tires.

Brian

I ordered new tires, but I still am on the fence. Take a look, wouldn't you say there is easily still another 1500 miles of hard riding in this, or is it cutting close?

ah, the new tire before trip dillema...

These tires have about 5000 miles of non-fun commuting miles on them (light throttle)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
I am in the same situation, I am leaving on a 2500 mile trip and am thinking about changing the rear. I have 5600 miles on my Angels.  I have about the same tread left on my rear tire as Haroldo. The front is still in good shape, I am thinking of going with another Angel but going to 190/55 instead of the 190/50.

Off next week August 4 for 7 days of twisties, Riding Washington (Mt Rainer and and Mt St Helens) Oregon (John Day overnight), Grangeville Idaho (overnight,) Lewiston ID  2 night - riding Lolo Hwy 12, Old Sprial Hwy, Rattlesnake Canyon, then heading back north to Omak Wa (overnight).

have a great trip Haroldo

cheers
Paul

Hey! I have a buddy flying from Seattle to ride with us (we will be riding 08/5 to 08/08). I used to live in Kent, about 20 minutes from Seattle.

I too ordered the 190 / 55. It will be my third set of Angels, and I have say (tire thread alert!), after running PR2s, Avon Storms, Avon VP2 sports, Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CTs, these tires excel in every aspect: durability, hangling, dry and wet traction. They are coming off with 5000 commuting miles, looking and handling really well for such state. I was thinking abou trying the Metzeler Z8s, but I have no reason to try something else. I think it is hard to beat these tires on this bike.

I figured new tires feel like new suspension, so the extra miles I'm wasting by tossing these tires are not worth the fun new tires will be on this trip, so they are coming off.

@Brian,

Hey man! Didn't you just come across the country the other day? You better not have come close to CA and not contacted me...

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
Welcome back Haroldo!

For what it's worth, I ran my Angle ST's down to where I could almost see the cords, and I would say from looking at the pictures of yours, there's easily plenty of rubber left for your 4 day ride.  I would bet you could still run them for a few weeks after you get back.

The only reason to worry about changing them is the thinner the rubber gets, the easier it is to get a puncture flat (sharp rock, piece of broken glass, etc.).  I had 4 plugs in my rear Angel when I swapped it.  The first was from a nail much earlier, but the last 3 (cause unknown) were in the last few hundred miles of it's life.

If you carry a plug kit and small compressor, then no worries.  Just push it harder in the corners to get rid of that extra side wall rubber.   ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
  I had 4 plugs

Whatever happened to 3 strikes and throw it out?  ;)  Glad you made it home each time...but really?
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
Mine recently developed cool silver racing stripes.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
` I had 4 plugs'

Whatever happened to 3 strikes and throw it out?  ;)  Glad you made it home each time...but really?

It was the last few weeks before parking if for the season.  Just trying to milk it so I wouldn't miss a moment of riding before the rainy season started.  I had 2 brand new tires waiting on deck though.

The last 3 plugs were due to slow leaks, so just annoying, not flats.  I also carry plug kit and compressor with me all the time.  ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »

That's exactly how mine looked, but with 4 plugs in it, and a 1" strip of Green Slime down the center of the inside .  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Good post Haroldo, and glad you found a set of tires that work well for you. I am in the exact same boat with PR2s; I have absolutely nothing to complain about and love those tires and yet still am tempted to try PR3s. Go figure.

OFFTOPIC:  Yep, went to the coast of Washington on 6 June (D Day here in the US). Well I left the right coast on 6 June and got to the left coast on 8 June. I posted a link to a satellite tracking device and quite a few folks watched me make the run in real- time. If you want to look the link is stlll up at: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2ed64debc2480041f There is a thread about it here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2286.0  I never went south of Tacoma, WA though and was not within 700 miles of you though. It was a fast trip out and back with just a few sightseeing detours on the way back.

Brian

Hey! I have a buddy flying from Seattle to ride with us (we will be riding 08/5 to 08/08). I used to live in Kent, about 20 minutes from Seattle.

I too ordered the 190 / 55. It will be my third set of Angels, and I have say (tire thread alert!), after running PR2s, Avon Storms, Avon VP2 sports, Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CTs, these tires excel in every aspect: durability, hangling, dry and wet traction. They are coming off with 5000 commuting miles, looking and handling really well for such state. I was thinking abou trying the Metzeler Z8s, but I have no reason to try something else. I think it is hard to beat these tires on this bike.

I figured new tires feel like new suspension, so the extra miles I'm wasting by tossing these tires are not worth the fun new tires will be on this trip, so they are coming off.

@Brian,

Hey man! Didn't you just come across the country the other day? You better not have come close to CA and not contacted me...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »

Nothing to worry about here.  There's more rubber on the other side of the cords.  ;D

Offline koval68

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
...... I was thinking abou trying the Metzeler Z8s, but I have no reason to try something else. I think it is hard to beat these tires on this bike.
I too, am happy with my Angels and going with 190/55s on the next swap.  :thumbs:
Have fun on your trip Haroldo, and please share your "road stories" with us. :)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi