Author Topic: KiPAss  (Read 31826 times)

Offline CrashGordon

Re: KiPAss
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
I use the stove key every time I get gas. It's just too easy to pull up, turn the ignition the other way and use that key to open the tank. I don't even have to take my gloves off. My key slides in and out with no resistance. I never take the key out when it's wet or raining, though.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
I use the stove key every time I get gas. It's just too easy to pull up, turn the ignition the other way and use that key to open the tank. I don't even have to take my gloves off. My key slides in and out with no resistance. I never take the key out when it's wet or raining, though.

???  How do you pay??

I have to take my gloves off to get into my wallet anyways, so pulling the key out of my pocket really isn't an issue for me... Just seems not worth the risk with that sensitive ignition key IMO.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
Did you even read the owner's manual? One of the features of KiPass is that you no longer have to pay for fuel. Any fuel needed by any KiPass equipped bike is always provided at no cost. The fuel also seems to flow faster into vehicles using KiPass but that may just be my imagination. It really speeds things up for long distance riding too....

Brian

???  How do you pay??

I have to take my gloves off to get into my wallet anyways, so pulling the key out of my pocket really isn't an issue for me... Just seems not worth the risk with that sensitive ignition key IMO.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »

+1... ditto.

I leave the thing in. Now if I could just figure out how to get my wife to quit asking me all the time if I am going to leave the key in the bike!

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »

???  How do you pay??

Wallet is in my tank bag. My biggest fear is that my wallet works its way out of my pocket while I'm riding and ends up on the freeway somewhere. I can pop my debit card out of its own slot in the wallet and pay, fill up with gas and be back on the road without ever taking off my gloves. Which is good for me, because I'm almost guaranteed to drop one or both of my gloves if I take them off while I'm on the bike.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
Did you even read the owner's manual? One of the features of KiPass is that you no longer have to pay for fuel. Any fuel needed by any KiPass equipped bike is always provided at no cost. The fuel also seems to flow faster into vehicles using KiPass but that may just be my imagination. It really speeds things up for long distance riding too....

Brian

Hmmm...I guess I'm having a KiPass problem then.  Damn you KiPass...Damn you to hell!!!    If they don't fix it under warranty I guess it's time to switch brands.   ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 03:07:38 AM »
If'n ya don't like KiPass then may I respectfully suggest that ya vote with yer feet.
There are several FJR & BMW forums that would love to have you whinge about their poor suspension and exploding final drives.

Kawasaki are not going to scrap KiPass because it's popular with most of us.
From what I hear it's about to appear on the ZX14, ZX10R, and a few of their big cruisers.

Mind the step on yer way out.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:36 AM »
All I can say to that is +1!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
If'n ya don't like KiPass then may I respectfully suggest that ya vote with yer feet.
There are several FJR & BMW forums that would love to have you whinge about their poor suspension and exploding final drives.

Kawasaki are not going to scrap KiPass because it's popular with most of us.
From what I hear it's about to appear on the ZX14, ZX10R, and a few of their big cruisers.

Mind the step on yer way out.  ;D

Unfortunately, I had to do just that! This great system was so unreliable it left me no other choice. But that was just my case. It  doesn't change that fact that some people would like the motorcycle without the $h!t system. Although KIPASS is liked by a good amount of people. I would beg to differ. You make it sound like it is that popular that everyone wants it. Many people also could care less about it, as well as many that actually don't like or want the system.
 Voting with your feet means that people wouldn't have the motorcycle they like because it is so equipped with KIPASS! That's almost as ridiculous as the system itself!!! No the people who don't care or don't like the system even though the bike has KIPASS! I feel it is every persons right to like or dislike part of the motorcycle (especially if they paid they're money for it . Just as much as it is yours to like it. But to ask people to leave because they don't like part of the bike is unreasonable. Maybe people are hoping that Kawasaki will come to it's senses and drop that POS system. Would you vote with your feet and leave if you couldn't have KIPASS on a new C14? Or would you still buy it and deal with it by voicing your opinion?
 As to Kawasaki installing this on the ZX10 & ZX14. That goes against everything sporting bikes are about. That's probably why you don't see many other manufacturers installing these systems. Besides, they really don't perform any real function, other than adding weight and complexity to a bike! What a POS!
 There I voiced my opinion on KIPASS, just like you!  ;D

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 07:21:46 AM »
I couldn't get it to do anything... tried other FOB... tried harness disconnect... tried the whole enchilada.  Had it towed to dealer.  I'll find out today what it is, free tow, so I'm not out anything yet other than $5 for a new FOB battery, and time.

I'm leaning on the battery line after spending all day yesterday going thru things in my head.  Even using a BT on the bike, the battery sure did give up the ghost without a hint of doom... if it turns out to be the battery. *hoping* 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »
Bob, I am sorry that your C14 had an unreliable KiPass system.
From what I hear on here maybe 10 people have had the gritty ignition switch problem and one had an actual KiPass failure.
That is a pretty low number. Yes there will be more who ain't on the forum, but equally there are many more who never had a KiPass issue.

What I find a little boring is hearing the same "KiPass is ****" over and over from the same people as soon as someone even mentions the word.
Well, for you maybe it was, but for most of us it isn't.
Some probably don't care either way, others may love it, but from what I hear there are very few who hate it.
If I am wrong then please get the haters to post here and we can count them.

These systems are not aimed at convenience but more at security.
Yes, they can still lift the bike and sell it off for parts, but they can't sell it as a running bike.
Here in the UK these systems in cars have reduced car theft a massive amount.
I don't expect it to have the same effect with bikes but if it reduces the thefts by 20% then that makes our insurance cheaper.
If you live in a rural area then I envy you. The majority of us live in cities where bike theft is a daily problem.
I also carry a chain and if I leave my bike in a public place the chain goes through the rear wheel.
It won't stop a determined thief but it will slow them down.

So, most MC manufacturers will be following suit pretty soon, and the first bikes to get it will be the bigger sports bikes and other high-value bikes.
I don't think it will be long before we have HoPass, SuPass, YaPass and maybe even HDPass.
Once you have to have electronic engine management to comply with emissions regs then adding this kind of security is cheap and adds almost no extra weight.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
Well, to voice my opinion, I love the Kipass feature. It is so convenient in my books. But I do see folks having bitter feeling about it if it fails on you. It is a debilitating failure if it does. So far, my Kipass has been working perfect and I am enjoying it.

Also, I have a few colleagues at my work that come over from India. I love to see the amazement in their face that the bike starts without having to 'insert a key'. Of course, they also think that it is a 250cc (don't ask me why!). When I tell them it is close to 1400cc, their jaws just drop!  ;D
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »
I feel Bob's pain. I dumped my ZX14 because of a recurring warranty issue Kawi couldn't fix after many trips to several stealerships begging them to finally fix it.  P*ssed me off I took a loss on that bike and i didn't purchase another Kawi for over 4 years.  Still not a big fan of Kawi truthfully and how mine has held up so long is unexplainable for a "Kawi"!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »

<snip>

I don't think it will be long before we have HoPass, SuPass, YaPass and maybe even HDPass.

<snip>

I do not know about you guys, but that sound rated 'M'  to me ;D
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
I do not know about you guys, but that sound rated 'M'  to me ;D

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »

As to Kawasaki installing this on the ZX10 & ZX14. That goes against everything sporting bikes are about. That's probably why you don't see many other manufacturers installing these systems. Besides, they really don't perform any real function, other than adding weight and complexity to a bike! What a POS!
 There I voiced my opinion on KIPASS, just like you!  ;D

Actually some others ARE installing this type of system,  the new Ducati Diavel has it albeit with a few improvements IMHO (If you don't have your FOB you can enter a code into the computer to start the bike, it doesn't use a spring loaded activation switch etc)

Bob

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
<snip>
From what I hear on here maybe 10 people have had the gritty ignition switch problem and one had an actual KiPass failure.
<snip>
What I find a little boring is hearing the same "KiPass is ****" over and over from the same people as soon as someone even mentions the word.
<snip>
These systems are not aimed at convenience but more at security.
<snip>
<snip>

"From what I hear on here maybe 10 people have had the gritty ignition switch problem and one had an actual KiPass failure."

Yeah a lot of the KIPASS supporters try to say stuff like that. Of course it's totally untrue. I had a few beverages one night and decided to spend a little time researching quotes from people who had some type of problem with their KIPASS, that had an actual problem with the KIPASS to an extent. (not a battery issue), because I get tired of people underestimating past KIPASS problems. So I spent about an hour quoting previous posts from threads that were actual KIPASS problems. I got board and stopped at about 40 quotes from different people. And I could have kept going, since there seemed to be plenty more. And this was the result of one search on the old forum {Kipass Failure} ! So with all do respect, I get tired of hearing how only a couple of people have ever had KIPASS trouble!  ;D

"What I find a little boring is hearing the same "KiPass is ****" over and over from the same people as soon as someone even mentions the word."

You mean it isn't boaring hearing the same bunch of people rub it in our face how good it is? How it's the answer to all problems. How it cures cancer. How it saves Honda's from trains. How it makes the universe spin on a better axis, etc? That isn't boring and is alright though?  When you have had trouble or don't really care for the system, you may not appreciate having how great it is, constantly thrown in your face either!  ::)

"These systems are not aimed at convenience but more at security."

I don't buy it. Most bikes are stolen for parts. So security is very limited. I posted a video a while back showing a couple of guys stealing a bike chained to a pole in seconds. The cut the chain and dragged into a truck in about 5 -10 seconds. There is little security on a bike to prevent this. The only security it will prevent is you leaving your key in the ignition of  your bike and having somebody just start it and ride off! This is nothing but a convince system for people who are not thinking about their riding preparations and constantly forget to take their key out before donning all their gear. Most people should not need this. But of course there are plenty of people who do. To be fair, probably everyone has done this at least once. But I bet a lot of people have also left their fob in another jacket or in the house also. So it is not infallible.  8)

"I don't think it will be long before we have HoPass, SuPass, YaPass and maybe even HDPass."

God I hope not. I would hate to see manufactureres driving up the cost of bikes with unnecessary items like this. If I need a system like this, I might as well start driving a car instead. That way I won't need to be in-coveinced with riding gear. But hopefully the CARPASS might work better than KIPASS. At least stranded in a car, I'd be out of the rain and snow!  ;D

Bob

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
Well, to voice my opinion, I love the Kipass feature. It is so convenient in my books. But I do see folks having bitter feeling about it if it fails on you. It is a debilitating failure if it does. So far, my Kipass has been working perfect and I am enjoying it.

Also, I have a few colleagues at my work that come over from India. I love to see the amazement in their face that the bike starts without having to 'insert a key'. Of course, they also think that it is a 250cc (don't ask me why!). When I tell them it is close to 1400cc, their jaws just drop!  ;D

But it does use a key. Inserting it all depends on you and what postion the key might have been in. If you had it out for FSS, you actually will need to insert the key.  ;)  But in most cases people would probably leave the key in the ignition switch. Quite a few are afraid it will bend if they use it. I guess only one person has bent their key and everyone else has herd mentality! But I doubt it!  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Has ANY ONE person with a '10 or '11 model reported a KiPass problem that has REALLY turned out to be KiPass?  If so can you point me at the thread? The stealership friend of mine here in tampa said they have not seen one yet on a '10 or '11 model come in for Kipass.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but somehow i suspect improvements have been made because it was a major complaint on earlier models.