Author Topic: Tire changing...?  (Read 7132 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Tire changing...?
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:49 AM »
My brother found this page detailing an 'easy' way to change tires.  I wondered if anyone here had tried this?  I'm sure it has been sliced and diced many times here.  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

I just ordered a set of PR2s and thought I may give this a whirl. 

Mod note: URL fixed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:13:47 AM by chi-gpz1100 »
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Gearhead82

Re: Tire changing...?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »
Cool!  I definitely look forward to hearing how this works for your PR2's. 
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
I'm going to try.  Harbor Freight is a mile down the road.  The real trick will be un-mounting the tire.  I have seriously put a lot of thought into buying the nomar tire changer.  It seems pretty straight forward.  But that is down the road a bit.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
I've changed a couple tires for myself and my friends using just some cheap tire irons and plastic rim protectors.  I do have a small press at work which makes breaking the bead much easier when dismounting the tire.  If I didn't have that, I've seen some pics of very simple bead breakers people have made out of a couple 2x4s.  I may try cutting the tire off next time.

I've changed 3 tires so far.  All of them were PR2s.  1 front and 2 rears.  The most recent one was the rear on my FZ1 and it took me a little over an hour from old tire on the bike to new tire mounted and balanced on the bike.  It's not fun, but not terrible.  I do think dismounting is slightly more difficult than mounting the new one.

My buddy has asked me to help put a new PR2 on his GSXR 600 so I'll probably be doing that in the next week or 2.  I'll definitely be interested in trying the strap method if you have good results.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Shoot, if that works, might be a way to do on road repairs.  Add in a c-clamp for bead braking a couple of spoons....If I had a KLR or something similar I would load that up for the "out in the boonies" repair.
T.S.R.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
Great recommendation about the Harbor Freight straps for mounting. So now we have the options for dismounting and mounting. How do you balance?

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Great recommendation about the Harbor Freight straps for mounting. So now we have the options for dismounting and mounting. How do you balance?

Mark

Dynabeads or you could use the harbor freight balancer.  I'm on the fence with the beads.  I have talked to people that swear by them, and people who say they don't work.  I guess I'll have to see for myself.  IF I get the nomar changer like I am thinking I will, I'll know soon enough!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
For balancing, I've had success with using a piece of scrap conduit I had lying around, 2 jackstands, and a couple of roller bearings for the conduit pipe to rest in.  I ordered some adhesive wheel weights and just hang the wheel on the pipe between the jackstands with the pipe supported by the bearings.  Seems to work well enough for my purposes.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Wouldn't that method be hitting the TPS sensor?

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
Wouldn't that method be hitting the TPS sensor?

The dyna beads? or the balancing?  I'm a little confused...

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
Dynabeads or you could use the harbor freight balancer.  I'm on the fence with the beads.  I have talked to people that swear by them, and people who say they don't work.  I guess I'll have to see for myself.  IF I get the nomar changer like I am thinking I will, I'll know soon enough!

Better you than me with that product
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
Just wanted to mention that I installed a new rear PR2 on my buddy's GSXR today using this method and it worked flawlessly. No tools, no hassle. Very easy, clean and quick way to put on a new tire!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
Just wanted to mention that I installed a new rear PR2 on my buddy's GSXR today using this method and it worked flawlessly. No tools, no hassle. Very easy, clean and quick way to put on a new tire!

A sport touring tire on a Gixxer??

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 08:16:58 PM »
So to be clear...

1. This would work to install a new tire on an "empty" rim without a tire stand and the process "should not" / "would not" damage the TPS?

2. To remove the old tire you would have to first use a bead breaker then thread the tie downs through the old tire (8 times) and then use lube and tire irons (or your hands) to remove the old tire?

Wow game changing if you do not have to buy a wheel stand to change your own C14 C10 tires.

Thank you for sharing  :)

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
There are videos of this method being used also and they are pretty slick. That said, it does take a while to prepare the tire to mount this way and I wonder if it is really easier than using tire irons and a bit of lube. Tires really are very easy to lever off of and onto a wheel with or without a tire machine of any kind.

A box made of 2 X 4's works very well to change tires on the floor. Just make sure the box is larger than the rotor so there is no danger of dinging the rotor during the tire iron procedure. Kneel directly onto the tire wall at about the 1/2 point, use the iron to make small bites and move the tire over the rim and follow the whole mess with your knees as you go to keep the tire that was already mounted down into the rim. A competition guy can do this faster than I am describing it and there is little danger of damaging either the wheel or the tire.

I do not know of any way to avoid the TPS sensors without being very careful and aware of where they are when you mount or dismount a tire. A tire changing machine won't lessen the odds of that sensor being damaged in my opinion.

Brian

So to be clear...

1. This would work to install a new tire on an "empty" rim without a tire stand and the process "should not" / "would not" damage the TPS?

2. To remove the old tire you would have to first use a bead breaker then thread the tie downs through the old tire (8 times) and then use lube and tire irons (or your hands) to remove the old tire?

Wow game changing if you do not have to buy a wheel stand to change your own C14 C10 tires.

Thank you for sharing  :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
I did not use the strap method to dismount the old tire. I used tire irons. However next time I'm going to try to find a quick easy way of cutting the old tire off.  I have a small bench mounted press that breaks the bead in about 3 seconds.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 04:59:22 AM »
I have a NoMar tire changer and is is a very well made item, albeit a bit expensive.  However the bar used to actually remove the tire and to mount it is not so hot.  I use a Mojolever instead.  A cheaper alternative is the HarborFreight motorcycle changer along with the Mojolever and the Mojoblocks.  Check out these URL's for descriptions and pictures:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25550

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

I have changed my C14 tires several times and the tires for others with various makes and find the job to be quite easy with no damage of any kind to the various rims I've encountered.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
I am pretty sure I can mount a tire with three tire irons faster than I could put all those straps on. And the tire irons take up less space.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
ive changed tires with the HF tire changer and then used spoons for a while.
   Its a dirty sweaty job that I hate ...Scratched my rims up good too.
I hire it out these days.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »
Wow! I had an epic battle trying to change the rear tire on my C14 yesterday. Epic! The old Roadsmarts are pretty well shot, so decided to change them out since I had the day off. My son and I changed the tires on his ZX6R a short time ago, and it was a challenge, but since it was my first time doing it myself I figured it didn't go too badly. We just used the 2x4 box and tire irons on those. I'm pretty handy with most things so I thought to myself 'how hard can it be?".

WRONG. For the life of me I couldn't get that %^$# rear tire off the rim! I got it half way off, but after fighting it for 3 hrs. I was getting mad and starting to nick up my rim, so I finally gave up and took it over to Cycle Gear. It was 110 degrees in my garage and I just couldn't git 'er done. I even stopped at one point to go inside and cool off awhile and checked out some Youtube videos on tire removal. They all made it look so easy.

The drop center of this rim doesn't seem to "drop" much, and no matter how much lubing, prying, cussing, and sweating I did, I finally just admitted defeat and threw in the towel. I hate loosing.
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.