Author Topic: Magnetic Gold Plug for Final Drive leaks  (Read 2506 times)

Offline kawasherpa

Magnetic Gold Plug for Final Drive leaks
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
 >:(  Installed a new FD magnetic drain plug.  Went to go for a ride a couple days later and a puddle is under the FD plug.  Wiped everything dry, checked torque and went for a short ride.  The rear wheel was oil streaked and the bottom of the plug was wet.  Pulled it out and put the stock one in and fluid and were fine with no leaks for several hundered miles.  There plug has many serations on the should be flat surface that mates with the washer.  The low torque spec for the FD isn't enough for the serations to sink fully into the washer.  Therefor a leaking situation.  Haven't herd back yet from Gold Plug in Bozeman, MT.  I could take it to a machine shop and have the serations milled off but that would probably cost more tha a new one.  Rick

Offline DaveO

Re: Magnetic Gold Plug for Final Drive leaks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
oem parts are not that bad are they?
at least they have  some engineering  and QC behind them.
Hell i have a pile of aftermarket parts from over the years that didn't work out.
I  leave it there to look at and remind me  about the garbage that gets billed as "better than that stock crap"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Never had a leak with mine...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that Rick. Maybe that bolt missed a part of the process where the ridges were turned off? It doesn't sound like a good idea to have the ridges in the first place.

Good call on your part not to continue to tighten that bolt in an effort to stop the leak.

Brian

>:(  Installed a new FD magnetic drain plug.  Went to go for a ride a couple days later and a puddle is under the FD plug.  Wiped everything dry, checked torque and went for a short ride.  The rear wheel was oil streaked and the bottom of the plug was wet.  Pulled it out and put the stock one in and fluid and were fine with no leaks for several hundered miles.  There plug has many serations on the should be flat surface that mates with the washer.  The low torque spec for the FD isn't enough for the serations to sink fully into the washer.  Therefor a leaking situation.  Haven't herd back yet from Gold Plug in Bozeman, MT.  I could take it to a machine shop and have the serations milled off but that would probably cost more tha a new one.  Rick
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kawasherpa

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
Gold Plug contacted me.  They had a small number of plugs that were machined incorrectly.  They are shipping me a new one free of charge.  If you just purchased one from them check it before installation so you don't waste a few ounced of synthetic FD fluid as I did.  I am satisified with their response.  Rick

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Nice to hear that they are doing the right thing and not giving you a problem about it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
I have had a few drops leak out of my new (bought off Amazon in March 2011) Gold Plug C14 rear drive MP-11.

Thanks for the heads up.

I just contacted (email to Gold Plug LCC) asking for replacement and hope.

Will post in the near future with results

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Just got a reply from Gold Plug .. (FAST)  :)

==============================

Brent,

Thanks for the email and sorry for your troubles.

This is a problem we found out about last week.  One of our contract machine shops incorrectly added those serrations to a small batch of MP-11 plugs.

I will have the correct MP-11 shipped today at our expense.  I am sorry for the error.

Thanks,
Tim
Gold Plug LLC
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline kawasherpa

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
The correct plug came in the mail Saturday.  Prompt no hassel response.  I wish all companys stood behind their product like this.  Rick

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
I e-mail Gold plug about the problem and they offer me to givme a refound or replace the plugs with the new ones, exelent customer service
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain