Author Topic: I need a new windshield, but which one?  (Read 9158 times)

YoDoc

Re: I need a new windshield, but which one?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
This is some good info. Thanks guys!

Offline Ranger

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
This is my first bike with anything but my ego in front of the handlebars.
Good decision. My ego hanging out there was gonna get me killed. I've grown a bit more tame now that I've got a ST machine. :popcorn:
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

YoDoc

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
Well, my only previous (owned) bike was a Harley Sportster. Not real "sporty", you know... but it was a great bike, and I'll probably own another some day. I just never put a windshield on it. Well, I did once, and I hated it, and then accidentally broke it, so I never had much experience. This Connie is definitely the "Sportiest" ride I've ever had. I've been riding it more (I've only had it three weeks) and I think I just needed to get used to the whole fairing thing. It bugs me less and less now.

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
Since we're on the fairing thing, I also have a question (sorry for the hi jack)
I have noted that the rifle and some of the cee bailey shields have a NACA style duct near the base. Does this help with cooling on hot days, and helmet fogging on cooler days? Differences in noise levels? If any of you have had experience with both the vented, non vented, pro's and cons I'd like to here them.
I'm 5'8 with a 31" inseam. (yea, yea, tmi)
I currently have a 21.5" targa windshield with some buffetting/ wind noise.
Like Tcro said, if my visor is open it's quieter (and cooler) but the thing is always blowing shut!
Thought maybe a vent in the bottom would help but i don't know.
thnx

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »
Well, I dont know if Im much help or not, but I prefer less wind, which means a windshield of decent proportions.
My Z1000 was naked, no screen really to speak of, but it had a small deflector that kept the bugs off my chest.
Went from that to a VTX1800 and a NC Switchblade 2-up shield with lowers and man was that nice on the highway! 
I loved that I could take it off in a matter of seconds for around town though.

Currently, Ive got a Rifle base on the way, and plan to make the upper shield from a GW1200 shield, similar to the mega-shield Ive seen in pics that someone else made, and also plan to add the GW vent to it as well...saw it gave nice airflow on hot days on that particular set-up...hoping it works for me too!
Say what?

YoDoc

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
The vent relieves some of the negative pressure from the cockpit area. What this does is reduce windscreen bounce, reduce buffeting, and reduce back flow. If you don't know what back flow is, you probably don't ride sans helmet much, and kudos for that. Back flow is air flowing "back to front", from behind you, into the cockpit area. This is the same reason a pretty girl's long hair will blow in front of her face in a convertible with the top down.