Author Topic: I was told that i was hit by a truck............  (Read 7985 times)

Offline c14blair

I was told that i was hit by a truck............
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
but i never saw it. I woke up on the ground around 25 feet from impact, with the bike another 15 feet or so down the road. I have a broken bone in foot, and possibly some fractures in my ankle. I was at a stoplight, and when light turned green i proceded forward, and then heard a loud bang. It appears vehicle coming from opposite direction turned in to the side of my bike while i was in intersection.

I was transported to hospital and someone rode my bike home for me. In my eyes, the damage looked cosmetic.

Insurance adjuster came out to house and estimated bike damage to be a minimum of 5K, but wants to take it to dealer to see if frame is bent.

I have an '08 C14, with just under 10K miles. There is a good chance bike may be totaled out.

I can't really afford to buy another C14, and am considering buying it back as a salvage.

I am not concerned with resale, because i would probably ride it until it dies.

I am looking for input.

Thanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I was told that i was hit by a truck............
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
Glad you're ok!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
If it was the other drivers fault and you were injured with broken bones and all, your check should buy you a new c-14, and a new house with a 3 car garage to put it in.

I am not saying sue the guy or anything but pain and suffering, plus your loss of full mobility for a while is worth $omething.

I here the new 2012 is maroon.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline c14blair

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »
Police report says that the other driver was at fault, and was driving on a suspended license. The report also stated that his license was suspended for driving without proof of insurance, and that it does not appear that he was insured at time of accident.

I am working with my insurance company on the property damage claim for my motorcycle.

I have retained legal counsel for my personal injury claim.

Excavator

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
Glad you're ok, hope you get everything possible.

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
the main thing is you are still around to have the problem. Hopefully you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy. If you do then your insurer would cover it. And lets say you had to litigate the matter and were awarded a sum of money. Then your own insurer would have to pay that up to the limits of the policy.
I have a few lawyers in the family and several as friends. one thing I have learned after being injured by another is not to say " yeah Im O.K."  Leaving the scene in an ambulance always helps your side of an injury case. You know the other parties insurance company (when they have it) always asks how did you leave the scene. I promise you that when you say "in an ambulance" that gets thier attention a lot more than saying you walked home or your friend, wife ,girlfriend, etc etc picked me up.

Not trying to stir the pot but bottom line is broken bones cost a lot of cash. Just ask yourself if someone came up and said how much would you take to let me smash some bones in your foot and throw you 25 foot in the air while you crash onto the asphalt. My answer would be, well if I had to come up with a number, you probably couldnt afford it.

again, at least you live another day to deal with the ups and downs of life. I have always said I would rather get older than colder. Also if asked if I would rather know when or where I was going to croak, I would always say "where". Then I would avoid the hell out of that place.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
i was going to bring up a point about accepting money from the other guy's insurance company when i remembered that, in this case, there isn't one. BUT, it will be of use to other's, so here goes...

a while back when a guy rear-ended my car, my agent told me NOT to accept any cash for medical expenses from the other company. she told me that my insurance would cover those bills and that in most cases, some injuries don't present themselves right away. when you accept a payout from the other insurance company, you release them from future claims, so if something were to come up, you would be SOL. however, since my insurance company was taking care of the medical side, i didn't have to worry about time limits; they would go after the other insurance company for reimbursement.

glad to hear you're at least OK.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Police report says that the other driver was at fault, and was driving on a suspended license. The report also stated that his license was suspended for driving without proof of insurance, and that it does not appear that he was insured at time of accident.

I am working with my insurance company on the property damage claim for my motorcycle.

I have retained legal counsel for my personal injury claim.

What a mess! I too am glad to hear that you're mostly ok. Good luck sorting this out.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Heal up quick.

I hope the bastard's in jail.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline c14blair

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
I am pretty heavily insured, and the attorney representing me is family.

I'm trying to focus on my physical recovery, but i am pretty bitter about the guy that did this to me. I'm not mad at him for the accident. It happens. I'm just angry that it looks like he is going to get a free pass, and i really do not know why he was not arrested.

Offline booger

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Man, you are lucky to be alive.  Hope you heal up quickly.

Don't worry about salvaging the bike.  Go with your attorney.  I have a feeling you are going to be able to afford to ride anything you want!! ;)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
Good luck with everything. That sucks that this happened, that's for sure and having the guy uninsured to boot, is just rubbing it in.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

valkmc

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
My son was driving his mint 92 GSXR 750 down the street when an 85 yo lady struck him broadside. He flew up in the air and landed on her windshield which he broke with his butt. Deep cuts and lots of blood. His bike was not worth much on paper but was worth a lot to him, as I said it was mint with lots of extras. He hired a lawyer after her INs. company offered him 3k. He ended up with enought to buy a ZX14, less then a year old with 2000 miles on it and put another 10k in the bank.

Don't worry about what they offer you for the bike, get a lawyer'

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »
Glad your ok and hope you have a good insurance company. You will probably never see a dime from the other guy. I had a VW Rabbit rear ended by a DUI doing over 100. He didn't have insurance, a job and didn't even own the car he was driving. He never paid a dime for that accident.

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
WOW!  Glad you are  telling about it.  Sucks about the bike.   See what the dealer says about hidden damage.  If that looks good I would lean towards rebuilding it myself too.  God speed to getting back on your feet and riding again.
Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing pretty good.
Joel from Maine.

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
Had a truck come into my lane head-on 15 months ago. Driver was unlicensed, uninsured, etc. Connie was 2 days old and total loss, no coverage on my policy for uninsured drivers.... Broken left foot, etc.

You are very lucky, as was I, to live to tell the tale. A friend at work was hit a few months after me, and lost his leg.

I did recover most of the bike loss from my comp/collision, but had to eat the medical. Was able to find an exact duplicate black '09 abs Connie number two a few months later.

I now carry full uninsured on my policy. Hope you had it to begin with.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
I'm just angry that it looks like he is going to get a free pass, and i really do not know why he was not arrested.

I have been in only one big accident.  My first brand new (instead of used), higher-end car and it was only a few months old.  Light turned green, I went straight, someone slammed into the side of my car causing $13,000 of damage.  They took me to the hospital in an ambulance (although it wasn't necessary).  My car was repaired but never the same AND lost value on resale.  Was in pain for several days.  I missed time at work.  I had to spent a month without my car and countless hours on paperwork, going back to get things re-fixed, etc.

I think the guy got a $50 ticket for "running a red light".   So where is the justice in that??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline c14blair

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »
Insurance company just contacted me and they think bike can be fixed, and want to tow it to dealership.

I was thinking about having them cut me the check, and fixing the little stuff myself, and let the dealer fix the big stuff. The reason i was considering doing this, is so i could pocket the extra money.

I may be in a cast for a couple more months, and am now thinking, maybe i should just let the dealership fix it all.

What would you do?

Sofa King

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
If it were me, I'd let the dealer fix the bike and let my lawyer pay for my pain and suffering, of which there will be much.  Machines can be repaired, and the dealer should do the best job, in most cases.  When you go to pick it up, just go over it with a FINE TOOTHED COMB.  They might want to take a shortcut.  Looks at every square inch of the bike for road rash that isn't repaired.  Then take it for a ride, only THEN would I accept it.  They will probably argue, but I'd bitch at them telling them I am not accepting the vehicle until I have ridden it up and down the road and make sure it rides as expected.  It's not like they are doing the work out of the kindness of their hearts, it's all business to them.