Author Topic: Ivans reflash for the Concours 14  (Read 24337 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Ivans reflash for the Concours 14
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
I do not think so: I know Marty fairly well and he is just not mean- spirited at all. I am quite confident he was being amusing and had no intent otherwise.

Sometimes the written communication just does not convey the right meaning, or all the meaning.

Brian (who has been taken incorrectly more than a couple of times myself)

Pretty funny Marty!

Sorry, I was under the impression that a forum was a place to share information, not to tell people go look for it yourself. But still, appreciate the effort you put in being sarcastic.
Looks like ZGGTR is starting to resemble COG...oh well.

cheers pal!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
No, lets not let this place get like the other one. This has always been THE place where we can talk about new ideas, thoughts and products without fear of 8 cronies jumping in and attacking or defending the old way...

The members, here, were always cool to argue with as well.  The arguments did not always end in agreement, but there was always a lot to be learned from the experience.

As far as "search", well, go figure......it is a 10 year old bike, and most topics have been covered...but, these bar ends were new, for me, and I dont mind talking about them.   Even if its been covered 237 times before.

Regarding the vibration, for sure do check any and all possible sources before buying a band aid for the problem. Its stupid to buy these heavy bar ends if your vibration is because of a loose exhaust, or such...

But, assuming you have no loose bolts, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, etc, here are the heavy bar ends I mentioned.

http://www.hvmp.com/Kawasaki-s/1.htm

I bought the "extra heavy" set.    Way too expensive for  a piece of well finished bar stock, but they do work really well.

They weigh just over 1lb, each....they show the "extra heavy" as being 17.2oz.  Im guessing but they are probably 3-4 times as heavy as our stock bar ends...If my wife was mad, you would not want her throwing one of these at you.

I bought mine on ebay, used, and paid less, but after using them, I would have gladly paid the 85.00 or so for  a new set.

As soon as I can, I'll get a set for my ninja 1000. The ninja has 10x as much vibration as the c14, and they worked awesoem on it, as well.

With these on the 14, and an Ivans reflashed ecu, the vibration is reduced to pretty much nothing.  Way less than stock...

Offline jerdurr

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
No, lets not let this place get like the other one. This has always been THE place where we can talk about new ideas, thoughts and products without fear of 8 cronies jumping in and attacking or defending the old way...

The members, here, were always cool to argue with as well.  The arguments did not always end in agreement, but there was always a lot to be learned from the experience.

As far as "search", well, go figure......it is a 10 year old bike, and most topics have been covered...but, these bar ends were new, for me, and I dont mind talking about them.   Even if its been covered 237 times before.

Regarding the vibration, for sure do check any and all possible sources before buying a band aid for the problem. Its stupid to buy these heavy bar ends if your vibration is because of a loose exhaust, or such...

But, assuming you have no loose bolts, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, etc, here are the heavy bar ends I mentioned.

http://www.hvmp.com/Kawasaki-s/1.htm

I bought the "extra heavy" set.    Way too expensive for  a piece of well finished bar stock, but they do work really well.

They weigh just over 1lb, each....they show the "extra heavy" as being 17.2oz.  Im guessing but they are probably 3-4 times as heavy as our stock bar ends...If my wife was mad, you would not want her throwing one of these at you.

I bought mine on ebay, used, and paid less, but after using them, I would have gladly paid the 85.00 or so for  a new set.

As soon as I can, I'll get a set for my ninja 1000. The ninja has 10x as much vibration as the c14, and they worked awesoem on it, as well.

With these on the 14, and an Ivans reflashed ecu, the vibration is reduced to pretty much nothing.  Way less than stock...

Awesome, this is the kinda response I was expecting! truly appreciate you taking the time to give me your input. As I was saying, the vibration on mine is driving me crazy; my hands go numb within 5 minutes. I would love to buy a set of extra heavy used ones for my 2012 C14, but if not, I might just end up buying them new. I'm quite interested by what you mentioned; I saw a lot of postings on how the re-torque-ing of the engine mounts might help with the vibration, but since you mentioned it, which other locations may need to be re-tightened as well that might be affected vibrations on the handlebards? I'm just trying to be thorough. The more specific you can be, the better!

Thanks again man, great review and I've already started looking into these; something needs to be done about this stupid vibrations!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »
Depending on how you ride, and just how the vibration is getting to you, a cruise- control may also help alleviate the problem; I know it did for me. Once the CC is locked to a speed, there is no need to maintain any force or torque on the handlebar, more like resting your right hand on the bar. You can even cover the front brake lever if you want, again without having to maintain any torque to keep the throttle open.

It has served me very well and I would not own a bike that I rode more than 20 minutes at a time without CC in the future.

On the C-14 you have basically two choices: the Rostra, which takes some electrical, wiring and light fabrication skills to adapt to the bike and costs around $225, or a McCruise which is an easier and faster install, works well but is more expensive at around $1,000 (the units come from Australia so the cost varies with the exchange rate).

Brian

Awesome, this is the kinda response I was expecting! truly appreciate you taking the time to give me your input. As I was saying, the vibration on mine is driving me crazy; my hands go numb within 5 minutes. I would love to buy a set of extra heavy used ones for my 2012 C14, but if not, I might just end up buying them new. I'm quite interested by what you mentioned; I saw a lot of postings on how the re-torque-ing of the engine mounts might help with the vibration, but since you mentioned it, which other locations may need to be re-tightened as well that might be affected vibrations on the handlebards? I'm just trying to be thorough. The more specific you can be, the better!

Thanks again man, great review and I've already started looking into these; something needs to be done about this stupid vibrations!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
When I got my 14, all I saw was a wall of plastic and strange rivets holding it together. The bike had under 2000 mile son it and was not even broken in.

My first move was to order freds maintenance videos. They helped a lot with regards to removing plastic, and pretty much anything the bike will ever need, maintenance wise..  Well worth the 80.00, or so,  they cost.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

After that, I bought a shop manual and just went down the torque table and checked each line item. Go figure, after that much time and effort, everything was fine....mostly...

The only strange things i've had that loosened up were the exhaust header nuts.

I was able to go in and tighten these (8mm, i believe???..maybe 10mm) nuts using a 1/4 inch drive socket set.

I used my socket, then a 1/4" universal joint, 4 inch extension, and my ratchet.  Its a tight fit, but very do-able without removing panels.

How many miles on your bike, and has it had any large maintenance activities?

If someone has had the bike apart, for maintenance, its probably not a bad idea to remove the fairing pieces and just start checking. 

Offline jerdurr

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »
When I got my 14, all I saw was a wall of plastic and strange rivets holding it together. The bike had under 2000 mile son it and was not even broken in.

My first move was to order freds maintenance videos. They helped a lot with regards to removing plastic, and pretty much anything the bike will ever need, maintenance wise..  Well worth the 80.00, or so,  they cost.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

After that, I bought a shop manual and just went down the torque table and checked each line item. Go figure, after that much time and effort, everything was fine....mostly...

The only strange things i've had that loosened up were the exhaust header nuts.

I was able to go in and tighten these (8mm, i believe???..maybe 10mm) nuts using a 1/4 inch drive socket set.

I used my socket, then a 1/4" universal joint, 4 inch extension, and my ratchet.  Its a tight fit, but very do-able without removing panels.

How many miles on your bike, and has it had any large maintenance activities?

If someone has had the bike apart, for maintenance, its probably not a bad idea to remove the fairing pieces and just start checking.

I got mine around April '17. It had 4500 miles on it, and the vibration was not there WHATSOEVER. One day while on a long ride with my riding team, 3rd gear popped out under hard accel. When we arrived to where we were going, I could hear a noise in the tranny; turns out 2nd and 3rd gear had teeth broken. Repaired under warranty at Hebeler's in PA. After that repair, even after having them re-check the engine balancers and all, vibes around 2500 to 3800 rpms are still there. I will take a crack at it this weekend, remove all the plastics, change the air filter, install a new horn, and re-torque the engine mounts and other bolts, see if that helps the issue. That was the only large maintenance it had.

Thanks again for your help RCannon!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
I'll bet you find something...and for sure do that checking before trying to mask it with heavy bar ends...

I have a feeling soemthign similar happened to my bike, before i had it.  I can see that the oil pan has been off, and I did not remove it. No complaints as my bike shifts very well, but I would like to knwo just what happened, and why the pan was removed..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
If yours is a gen1, could have been a hit to the oil pad plug area.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
I do not think so: I know Marty fairly well and he is just not mean- spirited at all. I am quite confident he was being amusing and had no intent otherwise.

Sometimes the written communication just does not convey the right meaning, or all the meaning.

Damn, I could have sworn I heard something like that very recently...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22964.msg285442#msg285442

In regards to vibration, I guess I am lucky, or maybe even typical (??) I have very little... and my 2011 now has over 30K miles.  I did have to use grip-puppies on the grips because the stock ones are hard as a rock.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is exactly where one uses the term 'Easy Boys!'

And now for the humor impaired: You see,  Max here is implying that he has trouble handling "the stock ones" because they are as "hard as a rock".

Seriously guys, buy a CC and you will not have to do so much.... handling of things.

Brian

Damn, I could have sworn I heard something like that very recently...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22964.msg285442#msg285442

In regards to vibration, I guess I am lucky, or maybe even typical (??) I have very little... and my 2011 now has over 30K miles. I did have to use grip-puppies on the grips because the stock ones are hard as a rock.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
 ::)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
Pretty funny Marty!

Sorry, I was under the impression that a forum was a place to share information, not to tell people go look for it yourself. But still, appreciate the effort you put in being sarcastic.
Looks like ZGGTR is starting to resemble COG...oh well.

Touché! Yeah, you got me.
 I had to look it up (HVMP) and then I thought I'd do a maxtog impression, and show you what I found in a little too smart ass of way. Apologies, and glad you took it well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:21 AM »
I had to look it up (HVMP) and then I thought I'd do a maxtog impression, and show you what I found in a little too smart ass of way.

Well, you are way off.   I spend a significant amount of time trying to locate information for people,  and then give them direct links to the information they need which will help them, often with additional commentary about the topic.

I never insult people by just sending them to

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search2

or http://lmgtfy.com/

If you don't know the difference, that is bad.  If you think calling it a "Max impression" is funny, I am telling you I don't think it is at all and really don't appreciate it.  Since you seem to be willing to apologize, I think you should apologize to me, next...

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
If yours is a gen1, could have been a hit to the oil pad plug area.

Great point, and that very well may be true.

Yes, Ive always appreciated it when the first part to touch the ground is the oil drain plug..awesoem design!

If you guys have not see how this looks, on the first gen oil pan, I'll post  a picture.  This pan has been modified.  Mine still has a "guard" , right in front of this bolt. In the pic the guard has been cut off.

It would be the first piece to contact the ground if I went over  a curb, or through a gutter thats deep.

I wondered abotu transmission work just because my bike shifts so well.  If soemoen told me it had been hand assembled, and blueprinted,I'd believe it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Well, you are way off.   I spend a significant amount of time trying to locate information for people,  and then give them direct links to the information they need which will help them, often with additional commentary about the topic.

I never insult people by just sending them to

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search2

or http://lmgtfy.com/

If you don't know the difference, that is bad.  If you think calling it a "Max impression" is funny, I am telling you I don't think it is at all and really don't appreciate it.  Since you seem to be willing to apologize, I think you should apologize to me, next...

OH good grief!
 Yes I did find it amusing, however this place just isn't as fun as it used to be. I've tried to help folks too you know.

OK, max', I apologize for all the times I've picked on you. We all* appreciate the hard work you do around here keeping things organized,
and the inmates aware of old threads and their locations. I won't pick on you out loud anymore.

(* I really can't speak for everybody, but I sort of assumed that those that don't like you left the forum when you became a moderator.)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
OH good grief!   Yes I did find it amusing, however this place just isn't as fun as it used to be. I've tried to help folks too you know.

OK, max', I apologize for all the times I've picked on you. We all appreciate the hard work you do around here keeping things organized, and the inmates aware of old threads and their locations. I won't pick on you out loud anymore.

:)  I know you are a good guy- but it is a good illustration of how one person's tease can be serious for another.  Really, I knew you weren't being mean. 

:grouphug:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
Yeah, I have noticed this too. Not sure why but it does seem like some of the older, well- known folks are fading away and the place is losing that familiarity that really helps prevent friction.

Oh well.....

Brian

OH good grief!
 Yes I did find it amusing, however this place just isn't as fun as it used to be.

<snip>

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
:)  I know you are a good guy-

OH Sure!...cause me to be emotionally damaged for life and unable to relate to people over the internet ever again...then start sucking up to me. Harumph!

:)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
:)  I know you are a good guy- but
How can you be so sure...?   And how do you know he's even a guy....?   This is the internet after all...  :o

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
 :rotflmao: