Author Topic: Comm System and GD Opener Installed  (Read 2388 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Comm System and GD Opener Installed
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
I finished up the installation of the Starcom1 comm system and my remote control for the garage door today.  I asked around for ideas about where to mount it and where to route the headset connections and most of you dropped them out from under the seat by your leg it seems.  I went a different route with mine.  I mounted the unit and all the wires (with liberal application of zip ties) under the left side top panel and put the drivers bulkhead connector in that left top panel.  My reasoning was that it would be easier to plug in one handed if I should need to and I won't get tied up in it when I forget and dismount first before unplugging the headset.  I also routed the wiring for the Zumo hookup over to that side and got it all connected to the starcom.  Then I dropped the starcom bluetooth module down next to the "brain" and plugged it in as well.  The green cord in the photos below I ran in the bottom/back of the glovebox for my mp3 player for when I don't want to use the garmin.  The last thing I did was to wire up an auxilary button on my GD opener and I mounted the momentary button for it in the edge of the left top panel near the headset connector.  Now I don't have to have that tieing up space in my glovebox anymore. 

While I had the glovebox apart I found the other latching tab that was broken off and got it fixed.  Then I had to shave the mechanism some so when I push the unlatch button in it would slide just a bit farther and allow the box lid to open without having to pry on it.

All in all I'm happy to have it together and I had fun digging into the bike a little bit for the first time.  Starting to make it mine slowly.

Spagetti?

Thanks for looking and the help and advice those of you shared!

Cheers!
Brent S.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Comm System and GD Opener Installed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »
Looks good.  It's nice having the garage door opener hard-wired.  You will like that.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:49:03 PM »
Looks good.  It's nice having the garage door opener hard-wired.  You will like that.

I was originally going to disconnect the flash to pass button and use it since I don't see myself ever using it for what it was intended for.  I got the control housing apart and tried to trace the wires but got lost and changed my mind.  It was then I knew I'd have to run new ones all the way to the housing and attach them in place of the other wires if I wanted that to work.  So instead I ran to Radio Shack and picked up a small mountable momentary switch then wired it in instead.  I have to take my hands off the controls but it'll work just fine. 

Flathead

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »
Nice write-up! Looks good.