Author Topic: GPS Mount  (Read 11422 times)

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
GPS Mount
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
will try the ram mount.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:35:11 AM by firetruck41 »
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: GPS Mount
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
That looks slick and thrifty.  But with a Zumo you wouldn't catch me using the thrifty alternative.  JMHO

Maybe that is why I still use a top of the line TomTom (from 5 years ago.)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
For what it is worth: the suction cup will fail sooner or later. Ask any octopus- they just are not open ended like a bolt- on solution. If I were using a suction cup to hold a GPS on a motorcycle, I would at least add a piece of (twine, wire, safety wire, rubber band) something to catch it when it pops off while you are riding down the road. It will probably still be destroyed by swinging and bashing against the side of the bike at 75 MPH but at least you will have the debris. Like I said, for what it is worth....

Brian

this way is easier guys. no need to buy those expensive mounts. the pad will stick on this smooth surface like anything else.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
Yup, eventually the suction will let go, and in all likelihood your automatic reaction will be to grab for it, which could have a really unhappy outcome. I've got my Zumo bolted on a Techmount (and a RAM extender to get it closer in view) and it's not going anywhere and doesn't even vibrate....much.   ;D

Offline firetruck41

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
let me know when you see a suction detach from the pad, just let me know. in all my years of using these things I've never heard of one just releasing from the disk pad.
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
I have had the suction mount release several times from my car windshield.  I doubt that little pad will have more grip than glass. 

OTOH, it's not my problem.  Best wishes with it.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

YoDoc

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »
I have had the suction mount release several times from my car windshield.  I doubt that little pad will have more grip than glass. 

OTOH, it's not my problem.  Best wishes with it.

I've got a similar mount for my cell phone (Android, Google Maps Navigation, woot). It falls off my wife's windshield all the time, like every two or three hours. The little black stick-on pad is in my car, and it has NEVER fallen off, FWIW.

I got no horse in this race, I just use maps and the innate ability I have to not care too much if I get lost.

Also, though, I would probably use a tie-down for safety sake. Army habits die hard.

Offline vortex2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
Sooner or later I believe you will feel it bounce off your leg on its way to the road.
Gravity will prevail over suction any day.
But personally I would never mount it down that low where you have to take
your eyes so far off the road to use it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
I personally think that this will work out fine. Just put a tether of some kind on the back of the GPS just in case, check it once in a while, and away you go. A suction cup stuck to the glass of a windshield has the sun shining on the business side of the cup most of the time, not so with the disk.

I'm doing something like this but I'm using the mounting bracket from my Motax air deflector and a piece of plexy. I've had the suction cup stuck to it for two weeks without an issue. I'll post up some pics once I get it the way I want it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
I wouldn't trust the suction cup.  Replacing the GPS is a heck of a lot more than buying a good mount.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »
"I personally think that this will work out fine." said Conrad to the person about to jump out of the plane without a parachute.... And then he added that the jumper should add a tether and check it once in a while.

Now Conrad, you know that was kinda' funny, right? You rarely see a tether on the back of a GPS in something like a RAM mount, right?

;D

Brian

I personally think that this will work out fine. Just put a tether of some kind on the back of the GPS just in case, check it once in a while, and away you go. A suction cup stuck to the glass of a windshield has the sun shining on the business side of the cup most of the time, not so with the disk.

I'm doing something like this but I'm using the mounting bracket from my Motax air deflector and a piece of plexy. I've had the suction cup stuck to it for two weeks without an issue. I'll post up some pics once I get it the way I want it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »
"I personally think that this will work out fine." said Conrad to the person about to jump out of the plane without a parachute.... And then he added that the jumper should add a tether and check it once in a while.

Now Conrad, you know that was kinda' funny, right? You rarely see a tether on the back of a GPS in something like a RAM mount, right?

;D

Brian

Um, er, maybe? Ok, I won't be using a tether. I am going to be using the suction cup mount sans the suction cup though. It'll work and it'll be purdy.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
I think it looks slick... but I'll just stick with my Projekt D center mount and Touratech locking mount for the Zumo.  Something to be said for a little peace of mind when I leave my GPS mounted and walk away at gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Cheers!
Brent S.

Offline firetruck41

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
okay guys I will take the advice given, go a diff route.
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order

Offline booger

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
I dunno.  I've never had luck with suction cups on car glass.  But like Conrad pointed out, this just might work as there is no sun shining through the chrome disk.

I kind of like the thoughts and looks about it.  It might work, but it could be an expensive test if it fails.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »
Same/same suction cup was on the inside of my Wing's shield for 2 years.  Fell off in the garage one day.

Bought a new one and installed it .... still on after another year. 

Yes, I do have the cord closely attachd so the GPS won't drop to the tarmac.  But, I know the suction cup will fail again.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Sooner or later I believe you will feel it bounce off your leg on its way to the road.
Gravity will prevail over suction any day.
But personally I would never mount it down that low where you have to take
your eyes so far off the road to use it.

:goodpost:

I like having my gps a little higher up and in the general area as my gages...

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
A local goldwing rider has his nuvi mounted using the suction cup to the windshield (or some other smooth part).  So far he's been lucky, and swears by it.  I think his logic is flawed, and will be rubbing it in, "I told you so", after it falls off.

I think a cheap ram mount can be had for under $40 for a control mount.  I like the techmounts product myself.  It's a bit pricey, but is better than that projectk product offered elsewhere - unless the latter now offers angle adjustment too.  If you go with the techmount, see about getting the rectangular plate and the quick release adapter.  I don't believe they offer any sort of quick release yet with their round plates.  This adapter uses a spring loaded pin which engages a hole on the rectangular plate.  This lets you remove the gps and cradle/adapter as an assembly instead of popping it into/out of the cradle each time.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 06:07:31 AM »
Popping the GPS out of the cradle is easy enough, and stealing the wiring/mount is an unlikely event. This is my set up: a techmount with RAM extended arm and an iPhone cradle above it for other uses, like texting and checking email (just kidding, although it IS handy for that while stopped). The dashboard screen is not covered as it appears in the photos.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »
I found this on the net for $12! It's inexpensive, solid and if fits perfectly. The only downside for some, is that it can't be adjusted. However, I don't see a need to adjust it. Tigerdirect has it for $18.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3856168&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Bracketron CMM-205-BL