Author Topic: What are my options for passenger pegs?  (Read 6601 times)

Offline OregonLAN

What are my options for passenger pegs?
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
My GF likes to ride with me, but she's always complaining about the rear pegs being too small and uncomfortable. I have lowering brackets, but the pegs are stock. I've done a bit of research and found a couple of make-shift solutions using Kuryakyn products and adapters. Also, Advanced Sports Touring sells some mini floorboards for the C14. IMHO, both solutions are fugly, and I would prefer a simple/larger peg (similar to the riders peg) with a bit of  rubber on it. Any suggestions?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: What are my options for passenger pegs?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
you can use Yamaha FJR pegs in the lowering brackets but I believe there needs to be another washer installed.
 http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_59&products_id=158

Sometimes you have to choose form or function, and with the unhappy GF you may want to choose function unless you want to ride solo.

I am going with a similar setup I previously used. I am using the shorter 360 adjustable 23 mm shorter arms with these boards

This is the setup I had before, 50mm silver arms.  This seat was a Mayer, pretty good but room for improvement.

As an example, I just had this hybrid Russell Day Long made for my wife but I kept the front close to stock.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try the FJR pegs for now. For ~$11.00, why not...

What model are those Kuryakyn floorboards? You should post a picture with them down and up once you get them installed.

Yeah, that's where I got the Kuryakyn idea. I found your old posts via Google. Anyways, I think the new floorboards might look better. Your old ones were a bit "cruiser-esq". I wish Kuryakyn would focus on sports bike hardware more. I had a bunch of their stuff on my cruiser...

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
Did you get her some nice riding boots with a solid shank and outsole?  I can't tell the difference between bikes with my riding boots.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try the FJR pegs for now. For ~$11.00, why not...

What model are those Kuryakyn floorboards? You should post a picture with them down and up once you get them installed.

Yeah, that's where I got the Kuryakyn idea. I found your old posts via Google. Anyways, I think the new floorboards might look better. Your old ones were a bit "cruiser-esq". I wish Kuryakyn would focus on sports bike hardware more. I had a bunch of their stuff on my cruiser...

these are the newer boards, the MFW vario parts I ned are on back order until August from Twisted Throttle
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4294/premium-mini-boards

The FJR pegs are a 77.00 option but you can always order them from an online dealer.  Some guys use the C10 pegs as well.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »
I have the MCL passenger footpeg extender (and pegs) installed on my 08. They are great! My son and I (he's 16) rode 4500 miles in June (to Newfoundland) and he said the extra length of the extenders were very helpful.

They are nicely finished and bolt right up, no extra parts needed. I think I had them on in about 10 minutes.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:05 AM »
556ALPHA, please do post new pics when you get the new setup (up and down position) as my wife would still like floorboard instead of a peg (I have the Twisted Throttle MFW Vario extenders and pegs currently (and have it so her feet are higher and further forward).
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
Will do, the MFW portion should ship early next week due to being on back order.  I actually chose the 2" black arms this time.  I also ordered these boards since they are completely black and the same size.  My wife has the boards above on her CTX and I decided to go chromeless for the C14... :D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:43:06 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
These worked well for my 2010:
http://vixfix.com/GTR.htm
2010 C14 ABS

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
I ended up getting some FJR pegs from eBay for ~$12 shipped. I already had the extensions from MCL.

Without a bit of modification, they won't work with the ball/spring mechanism that holds the stock pegs in place. However, if you remove that assembly and use a couple of washers on either side, they work perfectly with the supplied spring, pin and "C" clip. The only drawback is that they are always in the downward position (exactly like the rider pegs). It works fine for me because I generally remove the extension brackets when I ride solo.