Author Topic: Buying a Concours 14  (Read 9251 times)

Offline 84Sabre

Buying a Concours 14
« on: March 15, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »
Hi everyone. I've been a cruiser rider since I started riding. About a year and a half ago, I had an ST1100. I totalled it due to brake failure (only owned it for a few days and the previous owner must have botched the front brakes.) After a few months, I bought a Royal Star 1300.

Recently, I started scraping more and more around turns. It's mostly footpegs, but I'm starting to scrape the crash bars as well. Time to return to Sport-Touring.

I test drove a 2010 Kawasaki Concours14. Didn't want to bring it back to the dealer and just keep riding it. I found my motorcycle.

What I need from you all is to know what to look for. The bike is clean with 9k miles, side bag has a small leak, but everything else looks nice. What's a normal sound for these engines? I'm used to V-Twins and my 4 cyl on my Royal Star, but I'm not used to the sounds of the Concours.

Is it also normal for the engine to make clicking noises? I just want to be sure. My luck with buying used motorcycles is rather poor, so if I'm putting 8k into a motorcycle, I would like to kinda know what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any help. Regardless of whether I get this Connie or a different 2010+, I'm getting a Connie regardless.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:37:56 AM by 84Sabre »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: Buying a Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

A little noisey at start up, till the oil pressure gets to the timing chain tensioner. Normal stuff.

You're gonna LOVE it!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:16:25 AM »
You're gonna LOVE it!

After riding it for 15 minutes, I definitely will. I may be wrong, but I think it has 10k miles, not 17k. Waiting for my Royal Star to get out of the shop so I can sell it or trade it. Hoping to own a Concours by the end of the week.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
Welcome! Yup, noisy rattle on cold start up is normal. Bought my 2010 6 years and 63,000+ miles ago and still love it. Whenever I get on a cruiser now it feels like I'm driving a bus.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:22:53 AM »
They rock. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I found out the limit of cornering clearance is when the front crash bar lifts the front wheel. Just FYI, if you're paying 10k for a 2010 model you may be paying to much.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
Ageed, Have seen a lot in that year and newer on Cycle Trader and here in the 7,000-8500 range.
Wayne

Welcome to the forum. I found out the limit of cornering clearance is when the front crash bar lifts the front wheel. Just FYI, if you're paying 10k for a 2010 model you may be paying to much.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
1) Find a C14 owner you trust and have him look and listen.  Pay a few buck if you must

2) use Searchtempest.com ( a CraigsList search tool) and get a handle on prices.  10k for price sounds high to me too.

They made big changes in 2010, 2010 is way better than 2009 and before.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I guess I got it mixed up a bit with another Concours. Here's what it is. 2010, 8,500 miles, for $8,000. Has crash bars, highway pegs, and a trunk with lights.

Any Concours owners in McHenry County that want to help me out for a six pack of beer or a full tank of gas?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Illinois or North Dakota?

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
Illinois or North Dakota?

Illinois. Probably should have added that earlier, but I guess it's one of those days.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
Mama said there'd be days like this...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
Mama said there'd be days like this...

But she never said there would be so many in a row
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline JerBear

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »
FWIW Sabre84      IMO the Gen 1 (08-09) bikes are worth looking at unless you have your heart set on a Gen 2.   I have a 08 and have no idea what they are talking about when they say heat issues.  I actually prefer the (lines) of the body work and while no one will ever accuse a C-14 of being easy to work on, the body work is easier to disassemble when you have to take it apart.  I have started a dozen time to go look at a newer C-14 and this one keeps talking me out of it.  I love it and you will too regardless of what year you buy.  Also there is a new 2013 (Blue) in Madison WI that they are selling for $10500 so 10K is way too much for a used 10 with 17K miles but the milage is really irrelevant , there are several owners on the forum with well over 100K and no engine issues. 

As far as engine sound when I put my head out of the wind near the tank, and with the stock exhaust the C-14 reminds me of a sewing machine.  Now this is a sewing machine that can sew 1/2 thick leather at 20 inches a second but smooth like a sewing machine.  If you are hearing a rattle at start up, that is the cam chain tensioner.  Search for it and read ad nauseam.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »

As far as engine sound when I put my head out of the wind near the tank, and with the stock exhaust the C-14 reminds me of a sewing machine.  Now this is a sewing machine that can sew 1/2 thick leather at 20 inches a second but smooth like a sewing machine.  If you are hearing a rattle at start up, that is the cam chain tensioner.  Search for it and read ad nauseam.

That's kind of what I heard. I don't recall whether it was still there after everything reached operating temperature, but I'll definitely take it out again before I buy it.

I fixed my original post. I would have done it earlier, but I figured that it was like most forums and you couldn't edit it after someone replies. It's $8,000 with 9,000 miles. I've been looking at too many Concourses.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
The side bag with a small leak would concern me.
If it's from a dealer I would have them replace it or at least fix it if they could do it without screwing it up.

The guys that have a gen I (2008 or 2009) almost always say they like it better then a Gen II (2010 and later).
I 'm the other way and like a Gen II MUCH better then the Gen I's.  There's a reason they only made them for 2 years.
It's just personal preference IMO.

The Gen II have heated grips, a toggle switch to scroll the DIC screen, the storage box locks, a better stock seat and windscreen to name a few things.

Buying from a dealer is usually more $$$$ so unless you have to use your older bike as a trade-in I would keep looking.
Craigslist and Ebay are places to start and you might find one close enough to go get for a better deal, with even more options etc.
The 2010 came in ABS and non-ABS models - 2011 and up the ABS and traction Control is standard.

Good luck on finding a good deal.  They are out there - Do you really have to have a bike this week?  A few weeks of searching might
very well be worth a delay in getting a great deal. 

Offline Jim H

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
 My 2010 is for sale.....Just sayin.   Comes with a lot of goodies and priced to move.

Jim

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »

Any Concours owners in McHenry County that want to help me out for a six pack of beer or a full tank of gas?

I live in the Peoria area but am generally slammed, so a trip to Chicagoland is a no go but if you come down here to look at one, hit me up.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
My 2010 is for sale.....Just sayin.   Comes with a lot of goodies and priced to move.

Jim

I'd be interested in details, but unless you're willing to straight up trade for a Royal Star 1300 and 2k cash, I have to finance the bike. Or a payment plan.

I went back to the dealer and test rode it. When I go to brake, the front brakes sound like what I could only compare to a cicada, and then as I start getting to lower speeds it starts to squeak. Normal? Easy to fix?

Second thing I noticed is that on both crash bars on both sides, there are signs of a low speed dump. Slight scrape on fairing, slight scrape on front crash guard, and the rear crash guard is a little worse. Leak is still there, with rains the water collection was a little more.

Final thing is noises up front. When it's windy, is it normal for noises be coming from the bottom of the windshield? When I lower the windshield while riding, the noise is still there. When in neutral and bike is at idle, the engine has a ticking sound. I cant pinpoint which side is louder, so I can't help there. It is slightly more audible on the right. Very slightly.

Besides the scrapes and leak, are the noises relatively normal?

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
My bike does none of that. Run away.