Author Topic: Excessive heat on 2008 models  (Read 32071 times)

Bob

Re: Excessive heat on 2008 models
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:38 AM »
I've always said that I get more heat at a stop light in the summer heat on my Mean Streak than I ever did on the C14 (yes the 08). It might have to do with the rear jug being pretty much between my legs and the faan that kicks on to cool the engine down. So although there are cooler bikes out there (the 2010-11 C14 for one). I never found it to be such a problem. But everybody has there own tolerances to heat and such. Just becuase it never really bothered me. Doesn't mean that it doesn't bother the next guy!

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
I have a friend w/ Zteve's product and they seem to help.  Much of the time, the bikes that are passing more heat to the legs have the original foam pieces incorrectly installed. 

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, and have no complaints about heat on the legs since I adjusted the factory foam.  I also added insulation under the glove box because it was cooking the phones that I used to leave in there.

Can you please share more details about the foam pieces incorrectly installed?

This would explain a lot to me, because so many say there is not heat issue then others without a doubt say they have issues....maybe a large portion stems from the fact that the factor shields were done wrong.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Can you please share more details about the foam pieces incorrectly installed?

This would explain a lot to me, because so many say there is not heat issue then others without a doubt say they have issues....maybe a large portion stems from the fact that the factor shields were done wrong.
I'm attaching some pics - the view angles are funny, but I didn't feel like rotating them.  You s/b able to see enough from the pics to check your bike.  What you want is for the foam to be smoothly installed without any of the bolts missing or the foam around the bolts being torn or out of place.  No scrunched up foam.  It should not leave any air gaps.  Especially check the foam around the radiator hose on the right side.

If the foam is slightly mispositioned, you s/b able to adjust it without loosening or removing the fairing panels.  If it is way off, then you may have to pull some plastic to correct it.  Hopefully you can make sense of the pics and the cryptic explanation.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »
This is GREAT!!! info....thanks for sharing!!!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
I ended up having to re-position my oem heat shields on my 08 as mine were slightly off.  It is a used bike, so no idea when they were knocked out of position.  I left those in position and added a set of the ebay shields as well. No problem with engine heat at 105 degrees. 45.00 sounds like a lot for some foam, but they do fit nicely and work really well.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Interesting thread.  Initially I laughed about it because I almost never notice much heat on my bike, then a couple weeks ago I was gassing up the bike and noticed that the previous owner of my bike had already installed those same foam shields on it already but never mentioned it!  So I guess they are doing their job just fine!

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2011, 09:02:12 AM »
Pokey mentioned his Connie wasn't any hotter than his V-Strom. My new Connie is no comparison to my 650 Strom. Even when I ride in shorts on the V, there is no heat coming off of it. Monday night I rode about 7 miles to drop off some paperwork and the inside of my thigh where it laid against the tank was bright red from a near burn and my shin was feeling like it was burning.
I've had a dozen or so bikes over the years and none have ever been anywhere near as hot my Connie!
I am gonna send Zteve a PM and pick up a set of his shields and go find some shielding for under the tank and see how much those help.

'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
Now, after 28K Miles, cats removed, the heat had decrease significantly.