Author Topic: Help a new guy - ECU flash or flies and PCV?  (Read 10103 times)

Offline Sea Level

Re: Help a new guy - ECU flash or flies and PCV?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
Flies and PCV.  I'd think the easiest way to void a warranty on a bike that is completely computer controlled is to hack it's brain.  The Flies+PCV can be put back to stock in about ten minutes.

While my 2011 is in the shop for the winter and having some work down on it, I had a long discussion with the head mechanic about going with the fliectomy and PCV or the ECU reflash. In the end, we decided that the ECU reflash held the greater potential for warranty issues down the road - actually, a Kawi rep was at their shop prior to our discussion and that's what the rep said.

It's only January and I am jonsing to ride....can't wait to see how the fly/PCV mod will feel!

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Here's another chart which shows percent improvement in torque and HP over stock.  As you will see, the gains in these numbers are pretty impressive in the under 7K RPM range.  Keep in mind that this is on an otherwise stock 2010 bike. 

Don has worked up maps for several aftermarket exhaust systems.  Give him a call and talk about your mods and what he can (and can't) do.  I believe you will find Guhl Motors to be complete professionals from start to finish.  If you are anywhere within riding range, I know he will work with you on his dyno for whatever mods you have installed.

Thanks for posting those.  I think you had posted those in the past and I forgot, but I remember now because of my first impression that it didn't pick up much peak power.  I don't mean that as criticism btw, just that I remember it now.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Is a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) another low cost alternative? It tells the ECU the bike is in 6th. gear and this allows the flys to open sooner. It eliminates the timing retard built into lower gears to tame response..

I've used these before on other bikes.  Yes, they help a little, but nothing like removing the files. There is a chart somewhere that shows how much the butterflies open relative to rpm and throttle position. Its pretty easy to see Kawasaki programmed these things to strangle low end. Even in 6th gear. Plus, the tre would be just about as difficult to install as the pcv. When these flies are removed, the power increase is massive.

A remap would be a huge improvement like the pcv/file removal .   I can understand being a little nervous to remove the butterflies, but its no big deal. The threads on this forum prepare you for the job. The hardest part was finding a decent screwdriver for the job.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »
Here's some more data points on removing the flies...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2148.msg24731#msg24731

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »

I see the Dynotronics can reflash the ECU to accomplish this at about $400.00, or the flies can be removed and a PCV added.

Given my goals, is there a better of the two options? Has anyone done both that can provide a comparison?

Thank you for your help and support.

Eng,
  Last I saw, Dynotronics was offering the flash for $300.  If you are changing the exhaust system (not just a slip-on) I would go for the ECU Tune.  On a bike exactly like mine, 20rwhp was found just by adding the Dynotronics tune.  It's easily reversable and not detectable by the KDS3 diagnostics.  The difference is very obvious.   Lots of info here: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,28392.15.html  Including Dyno reports.

Mick 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:56:48 AM by KawiMick »
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time