Author Topic: Muzzy/Autotune install question  (Read 8020 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Muzzy/Autotune install question
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
Thanks Bud, I hope your recovery is complete. Funny pic. I pre-ordered a book by Tracy Martin "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" from: http://www.qbookshop.com/products/149691/9780760340738/How-to-Tune-and-Modify-Motorcycle-Engine-Management-Systems.html. I found his book on motorcycle electrical systems extremely helpful. http://www.qbookshop.com/products/144121/9780760327166/Motorcycle-Electrical-Systems.html. The new book is due in April I think.

In the meantime I appreciate whatever information is available from those with more experience.

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
Wanderlust (Also, accepting trims will guarantee that, over time, Autotune will starve your engine for fuel by continually reducing map values for a given RPM.)

Bud (It took awhile for me to eventually determine that the acceptance of trims will indeed lead to an engine running too lean.)

Not arguing,just trying to learn. By what experience or process did you each come to this conclusion? Thanks for the help.

Fortunately no throat cancer in my story (and glad to hear that Bud pulled through ok), just a desire to squeeze as much power out of the bike as possible. As a newbie to the PCV/Autotune setup, I accepted "trims" because I thought it would make the bike perform better. In reading thread after thread on the topic, I also bumped the AFR setting up much higher than the initial setup value of 13.2 to well over 14. To further complicate things, I substituted the stock throttle bodies with those lifted from a 2006 ZX14. Both TB's had their flies removed.

I noticed that the more I accepted "trims", I quickly reached a level of diminished returns on fuel economy while performance suffered. So one day I just reloaded the original setup map (saved a copy fortunately) with AFR at 13.2 and have not accepted trims since. I experimented with swapping this map out (via LCD-200) with the "trimmed" map and found that there was no appreciable difference in fuel economy, but a big difference in performance - and the leaned map also came with the problem of exhaust popping on deceleration. Since then I have remained on the original map.

Setup is PCV/Autotune/LCD-200 with ZX14 TB, flies out, Muzzys dual exhaust (with no cat) and K&N filter. No turbo...yet.

Meanwhile I have also read the religious/theological debate on PCV vs ECM flashing quite a bit, and have decided to retain the PCV and not bother with reflashing.

For a gross comparison of fuel economy, on the stock setup with a passenger I hit reserve at 250kms; these days I don't hit reserve until at least 310kms, usually more like 330kms+ when riding highway without "romping" it. As for performance, I gained a sh*t ton of HP compared to stock. And the sound of the dual Muzzys is great.

-Wanderlust
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Fortunately no throat cancer in my story (and glad to hear that Bud pulled through ok), just a desire to squeeze as much power out of the bike as possible. As a newbie to the PCV/Autotune setup, I accepted "trims" because I thought it would make the bike perform better. In reading thread after thread on the topic, I also bumped the AFR setting up much higher than the initial setup value of 13.2 to well over 14. To further complicate things, I substituted the stock throttle bodies with those lifted from a 2006 ZX14. Both TB's had their flies removed.

I noticed that the more I accepted "trims", I quickly reached a level of diminished returns on fuel economy while performance suffered. So one day I just reloaded the original setup map (saved a copy fortunately) with AFR at 13.2 and have not accepted trims since. I experimented with swapping this map out (via LCD-200) with the "trimmed" map and found that there was no appreciable difference in fuel economy, but a big difference in performance - and the leaned map also came with the problem of exhaust popping on deceleration. Since then I have remained on the original map.

Setup is PCV/Autotune/LCD-200 with ZX14 TB, flies out, Muzzys dual exhaust (with no cat) and K&N filter. No turbo...yet.

Meanwhile I have also read the religious/theological debate on PCV vs ECM flashing quite a bit, and have decided to retain the PCV and not bother with reflashing.

For a gross comparison of fuel economy, on the stock setup with a passenger I hit reserve at 250kms; these days I don't hit reserve until at least 310kms, usually more like 330kms+ when riding highway without "romping" it. As for performance, I gained a sh*t ton of HP compared to stock. And the sound of the dual Muzzys is great.

-Wanderlust

Can you send me a copy of your MAP? (Email is khand@nolimitsaz.us)  I am adding a new dual Muzzy setup with the ZX14 Throtlebody's and BMC air filter along with Autotune as soon as UPS arrives with the goodies.

Thanks,

Kirk

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
Wanderlust I would be interested in your map if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me. 

Pmed you my email.  Thanks
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
For you guys who wanted my original map, I've decided to post it here.

The setup when I had the map made was:

* Flies out
* Muzzys dual exhaust
* K&N Filter

Since then I have replaced the stock throttle body with one from a 2006 ZX14, and thanks to Autotune, no dramas.

-Wanderlust
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »

* Flies out
* Muzzys dual exhaust
* K&N Filter

Nice setup, same here and love it!  :thumbs:

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

Nice setup, same here and love it!  :thumbs:

I am so anxious!!! My Muzzy is on it's way... along with ZX14 throttle body's, autotune and BMC.