Author Topic: Tires  (Read 16849 times)

Offline IraB

Re: Tires
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »

Finally got time to mount the tires but first had to make a pair of roller bearing attachments for my home made bicycle wheel truing stand so it could be used for balancing and a wall mounted bead breaker out of old door hinges and 2x4s. Both worked like a charm.  :)

First discovery was yet another thing the previous owner had been billed for by a shop that was not actually done.  The rear wheel drive splines were solvent clean w/o a speck of grease on them.  The upside, there does not appear to be any wear.

Really surprised at now noticeably improved the bike handles even though I stuck with the stock size front.  Also sought out some wet road seams I had previously noticed "following" and shimmies on with the Dunlops. There is none of that now.

I think it is safe to say I am now a member of the Connie cult.  :D

Offline 20/20

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
Finally got time to mount the tires but first had to make a pair of roller bearing attachments for my home made bicycle wheel truing stand so it could be used for balancing and a wall mounted bead breaker out of old door hinges and 2x4s. Both worked like a charm.  :)

Any pictures of the DIY tool's?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »
Good front tire.
You put a radial tire in the front and you put a bias ply tire in the back.
That is kinda of a strange thing to do but it has been done before, by me but not on purpose.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline IraB

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »

Dirt cheap and simple bead breaker...

Offline IraB

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

Welded up this bicycle wheel truing stand out of scrap 1/2 and 2/4 square tube stock.  Made it extra wide so it could be used to true up spoke type motorcycle wheels also.  It was a simple matter to make up another set of axle holders with Ace Hardware roller bearing bolted to them to convert it to balancing stand.
The rollers come greased and I found that are more precise if the grease is washed out with carb cleaner and replaced with a drop of lite oil. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:15:33 AM by IraB »

Offline IraB

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Good front tire.
You put a radial tire in the front and you put a bias ply tire in the back.
That is kinda of a strange thing to do but it has been done before, by me but not on purpose.

Honestly, I did this because I did not know otherwise and the bike seems to handle great. 
Does this cause some sort of issue I should know about?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:14:57 AM by IraB »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 05:18:32 AM »
Bias and Radial tyres have a different profile so it can lead to squirrelly handling.
However, you guys can do what you like.
Over here it is VERBOTEN to fit anything other than a Radial rear if  ya have a Radial front.

These are the banned combinations that will lead to a failure at our annual inspection (MOT test)
e. a bias belted tyre fitted to the front with a cross-ply tyre fitted to the rear wheel
f. a radial tyre fitted to the front and a cross ply or bias belted tyre fitted to the rear wheel
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline works4me

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 05:48:06 AM »
Yet the radial/bias combo seems to offer the best balance
of tread life and handling.
I've been pleased enough to stick with it for the
next round of replacement.
I've never had a radial rear last 10K miles.
I've also never had a bias front that had the
light and precise steering of a radial.
So, for me at least, the combo flat out works.

Offline IraB

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
So what radial rear would you guys recommend ?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:04:28 AM by IraB »

Offline IraB

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
Ordered one of these to try out.....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5983/i/avon-av46-azaro-sport-touring-rear-tire

Probably try an Avon bias ply front with the one I have on there now when it is time to change them again.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:24:20 PM by IraB »

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
Ordered one of these to try out.....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5983/i/avon-av46-azaro-sport-touring-rear-tire

Probably try an Avon bias ply front with the one I have on there now when it is time to change them again.
You did well. That tire is by far the best gripping  and handling tire you will ever install on the stock rear wheel of a C10.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline IraB

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

Glad to hear that, it showed up on the little brown wagon yesterday.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »
Murph was selling these tires.
Is he still selling them?

He may be a bit higher than the prices at some of the big dealers, but I buy from him when I can.
I do this because of the outstanding support he's given COG, and the fact that he ships so quickly.
 Plus, Gary is a good friend.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline IraB

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
Murph was selling these tires.
Is he still selling them?

He may be a bit higher than the prices at some of the big dealers, but I buy from him when I can.
I do this because of the outstanding support he's given COG, and the fact that he ships so quickly.
 Plus, Gary is a good friend.

Ride safe, Ted

Got them from the Super Store.
I'm kind of new to Connie's and have ordered from Murph's but did not even know he sold tires.

*edit*
Just got that baby on.  Only took 1/2 oz to balance.  :)
I'll ride it a bit and give my impressions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:00:14 PM by IraB »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
I looked at Murph's site and he does not show that he carries C-10 tires.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline IraB

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »
Took it out for a spin and I would say handling is now perfect!  I did not realize just how crappy the stock Dumlops were until now.
I sure hope these last awhile.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:03 AM »
Glad to hear other people are getting increased mileage from the Shinko 777 with good handling characteristics.  I'm replacing my rear BT45 with one this weekend (still plenty of life in the front BT45).  They handled great but was disappointed with the rear since it hit the wear bars at 5300 miles.  Kept a sharp eye on the tire pressure (42 psi) and did NOT abuse that tire.  The Shinko is starting out with a big advantage since the tread is 0.09 inches deeper (BT45 TD = .260).  The BT45 wear rate was .000038 in./mile.  If I can get close to that with the Shinko, that would be another +2K miles.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Ihave a new favorite front tire, Pirelli Angel GT 110/80/18. It rides and corners as sweet as the PR3 and is much quieter. Independent testing has shown that it out grips and outlasts the PR3. We'll see about all that, but so far so good. The PR3 that I took off had 13,500 miles on it, just down to the wear bars. And it still wrked well up to the end.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)