Author Topic: How I performed "break-in" on my 100K bike  (Read 5871 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
How I performed "break-in" on my 100K bike
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
I got a PM questioning how i broke in my bike.  Great question, thought I'd share.

Break-in is is about piston ring seal. The pro's and crew chiefs I've met around track days use a dyno for an extremely hard break in, and have explained it happens within the first few miles of the bike running. Many tell me after a puff of smoke during the up and down RPMs they stop, because it was at that point it sealed. Since the methodology works so well for them, my C14 (like every new bike i buy) was broken in HARD right from the dealership parking lot.

To load my seals on all my new bikes, I used the common methodology (that I see so many folks say will grenade a new motor) of short bursts of hard acceleration. Let me reiterate VERY hard but smooth acceleration (careful not to "beat" on the bike, but hard and smooth).  Not to the rev limiter but beyond what the manual suggests. Immediately let of the gas for a fast engine brake back down, and do it again. And Again. And again.  They key is to NEVER allow the bike to hold the same RPMs, its either being loaded or unloaded.

I'm not suggesting anyone do this.  For me its worked for every bike I buy for the track, the ZX14 before drag racing it, and the Connie before high miles.

Plan is I'm riding this C14 to 200K on this break-in methodology, and then parting it out on the fleabay. As hard as i run this bike 24/7, its amazing me its still going

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: How I performed "break-in" on my 100K bike
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »
Steve, that is exactly how I was taught and I did so with excellent results on my bikes that had  big bore piston kits   installed.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
I broke my 08 in "by the book", the owner's manual.  I think Steve and Mikes method definitely has merit. My C14 has used 1.5 qt of oil between 6000 mile changes from day one. It has not gotten any worse over the years and a couple of Blackwell analyses have indicated no excessive wear. The engine has always seemed to run superbly and to be as powerful as I could ask. The only bikes I have ridden with more seat of the pants grunt (including Honda Blackbird and CBR900) were my Ducati 1098 and a Aprillia RSV1000. And it still feels as strong at 140,000 miles as it did at 1000 miles. BUT.... I suspect if we put Steve's and mine on a dyno his would win the HP war. Like Steve I have had no strandings and nothing has failed or broken. The only thing I have done other than routine maintenance is a fuel filter change and suspension upgrades. I also plan to ride it until the 200,000 milestone.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
I do something in between. I keep accelerating the engine hard and then off the gas for engine brake, but I don't let it rev high. I go through the gears as often as I can or more often, in order to force that first charge of oil to get everything from the manufacturing process to the filter. Then the first oil change after just 60 miles. From then on is more or less manufacturers recommendation.
My bike hasn't used a drop of oil in 60 000 miles. And I beat the crap out of it. Remember that I live in the land of the Autobahn, so 200 miles in an hour and half have not been everyday occurrences (mainly due to traffic), but definitely not rare. I hit the 10 000 rpm a few times between oil changes, and I also let her sail at 60 mph for hours on end.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:46:56 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
I also normally drop the oil after the first day of break in drills.

With the Concours, I flew and rode it home 500 miles so I had to put off the first change until then.  I did to break in drills prior to hitting the road, and even though I was travelling the same speed, it did it in different gears to keep the RPMs moving.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:45:48 AM »
I also normally drop the oil after the first day of break in drills.

With the Concours, I flew and rode it home 500 miles so I had to put off the first change until then.  I did to break in drills prior to hitting the road, and even though I was travelling the same speed, it did it in different gears to keep the RPMs moving.

I usually do too, first change in under 50-60 miles. But like you, i had a long haul. I flew and picked up the bike in NJ (28 degrees, snow flurries), and rode it to FL.  Stopped at moms 500 miles in the trip and changed oil  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
Followed this breakin on both my new bikes.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1st oil change at 100km, 2nd at 637km synthetic blend and 3rd switch to 100% synthetic, Haven't had any issues with either of them. 80000 km on the bandit and 70000 were aggressive.
And like most of you gents I kick the sheit of of both of them. Use the engine and trannie for controlling speed into corners with minimal trail braking ( kind of hard with the shitty linked brakes on the Connie) the slipper compensates for the linked brakes.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »
I don't think it really matters much. Everybody's bike runs great and stays together for as long as you take care of them. I just ride mine like I'm gonna ride it any other time. I used to go by the book, but not anymore.

The big engines I build get their guts pulled out right away. And surely never get the oil changed for at least 10,000 miles. Probably twice that or more.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
That mototune usa website referenced is along the same lines of exactly how I break it in my motorcycle engines.  Although he wrote more eloquently than me.

He even referenced dyno break-ins