Author Topic: '10 with 6k mi. for $9k or new '12 for $12k?  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Wrinkled Wrider

'10 with 6k mi. for $9k or new '12 for $12k?
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »
and why. leaning towards the '10 cause it leaves me more cash for farkles. Not that it matters to me, but the '10 is blue and the '12 is red.

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: '10 with 6k mi. for $9k or new '12 for $12k?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:04:35 AM »
Get whichever color you like.  Are both still under warranty?  The '10 probably isn't unless it was purchased as a leftover.  You can get an extended warranty for a reasonable price through this forum, but not sure if you can extend it if it is expired.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline clogan

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:37 AM »
I would give strong consideration to color, the '10 vs. the '12, and I would also give slight consideration to any mods already done to the '10. Mods are a very personal thing, though. Personally, I would place high value on Canyon Cages, but not so much for an after market seat. Further, I would definitely not want a bike with altered PCM, exhaust, or a repaint. And I would assess no added value for a top box, driving lights, or GPS mount.

But that's just me. A different rider would have differing priorities.

All things being equal, I'd save the $3 grand, and buy the 2010.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I did last March, when I bought my 2010.

Regarding the extended warranty:
It is often interesting how some folks sing praises of the extended wrranty, then in the next verse of the same song, condemn the often shoddy work done at dealerships. Consequently, my own personal decision was to not extend my warranty, even though I had the opportunity to do so. I may live to regret it. Have to wait and see.

Best of luck to you, in any event.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »

Regarding the extended warranty:
It is often interesting how some folks sing praises of the extended wrranty, then in the next verse of the same song, condemn the often shoddy work done at dealerships. Consequently, my own personal decision was to not extend my warranty, even though I had the opportunity to do so. I may live to regret it. Have to wait and see.

This is similar to the answer Warren Buffett gave a reporter who asked him how his insurance business (Geico) is doing: "Well, you never really know until the game is over."

Offline BobK

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
First off you can do better than $12,000. for a brand new 12 I have seen them for $11,000. I had the same situation but with a 2011 with 4,000 miles. It had a good deal of farkels including the Heli adjustable bars which retail around $700. I don't like the 2012 red/maroon and the 2011 was silver which I liked better. I got the 2011 and couldn't be happier and the warranty was still in effect and I went with the 3 year extension and still have less money in it than the 2012 would have cost.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
WHY does anyone need a warranty on something that does not break?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

+1

>82,000 miles and mine hasn't ever broken.  On the other hand, i think thats why Kawi sold me another 3 year unlimited mileage warranty so cheap.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
I believe it gives you one thing "Peace of Mind", and absolutely nothing else.

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
I consider it catestrophic insurance for the engine/transmission/drive train.  However, we're not seeing any issues along those lines.  The bikes have been proven to be very reliable (Don't talk to Bob) for the most part.  But it's very cheap to buy if you're buying it from Pete in Richmond. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
I believe it gives you one thing "Peace of Mind", and absolutely nothing else.

mat

And tire pressure monitors.
 :finger_fing11:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
And that is exactly how I think of it on my bike, and bought it from where Jim said for that very reasonable price. One significant repair will easily cost far more than a single three- year warranty extension. I really do not think of it as a general warranty for any little stuff that is more likely to go wrong / wear out, etc., although it IS a general warranty.

Brian

I consider it catestrophic insurance for the engine/transmission/drive train.  However, we're not seeing any issues along those lines.  The bikes have been proven to be very reliable (Don't talk to Bob) for the most part.  But it's very cheap to buy if you're buying it from Pete in Richmond.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline texrider

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
Unless you know the former owner, go with the 0 mile new '12.
Then you'll know where she's been.  ;)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »

While I love my 08 and it had an extended warranty on it from previous owner and with it being so cheap to add another 3 years I went ahead with it so 9 years of unlimited mileage factory warranty on something people told me really needed no warranty.  I have had the bike 3 years and put 77k miles on it and the warranty had paid for itself so many times I cant count. 

Tire Pressure sensors - a few times
Front Brake Rotors
Windshield motor
Valve cover gasket
Final drive leak twice
Clutch master cylinder
and then the big one - about 2 weeks ago the final drive blew out the bearings while riding and the dealer said the water pump was leaking as well so total bill is going to be about $3k all covered under warranty :)

So giving the coice on what bike I would go with the one with the best warranty or option to extend the current one.

I love my bike but thank God for the warranty!!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
While I love my 08 and it had an extended warranty on it from previous owner and with it being so cheap to add another 3 years I went ahead with it so 9 years of unlimited mileage factory warranty on something people told me really needed no warranty.  I have had the bike 3 years and put 77k miles on it and the warranty had paid for itself so many times I cant count. 

Tire Pressure sensors - a few times
Front Brake Rotors
Windshield motor
Valve cover gasket
Final drive leak twice
Clutch master cylinder
and then the big one - about 2 weeks ago the final drive blew out the bearings while riding and the dealer said the water pump was leaking as well so total bill is going to be about $3k all covered under warranty :)

So giving the coice on what bike I would go with the one with the best warranty or option to extend the current one.

I love my bike but thank God for the warranty!!!

WOW!  dump that thing when the next warranty is up, thats not the norm. It's possessed or perhaps it p*ssed off the KiPass gods
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:39:34 PM »
WOW!  dump that thing when the next warranty is up, thats not the norm. It's possessed or perhaps it p*ssed off the KiPass gods

I don't baby my toys, I enjoy them so to me (at least up to the last one) the things were minor.  This last thing though...  Well with the way it let loose while doing 155 with oil everywhere my first thought was damn I blew the motor but nope just the black side cover blew off and oil all over...  Then of course upon inspection it had only half of the required bearings left :(

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 06:38:03 AM »
Sounds like you have a great dealer.  Are they doing all the maintenance on the bike?  I read more stories about having to fight with the dealer to get warranty work done for lesser problems.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
OP - Looks like you can save about $1,000 if you're willing to drive to Sport Cycles of Rockingham, NC.

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
And tire pressure monitors.
 :finger_fing11:

Yep, I have had rotors and tire pressure monitors replace under warranty. I expect to get another set of rotors soon since mine are close to being out of spec.

If I didn't have the warranty, I would simply chuck the tire pressure monitors once they die. The rotors are more difficult to do without.  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
I betcha' this story makes it all the way back to Japan....

Quite a while ago, Kawasaki (Japan) collected some bevel gear ass'ys from high mileage C-14's to check up on them. Mine was one of the four they found with the highest mileage at that time and they ended up taking the bevel gear ass'y, the final drive and the ECU (for the data in it) for inspection. I had a look at both gear sets before they were sent back and both looked just a hair better than perfect.
But Kawasaki was concerned because the bevel gear ass'y is a new design, the highest loaded components in the drivetrain and they had no field feedback at all. I actually thought it was great of them to even look- most manufacturers design something, kick it out the door and that is the end of any knowledge the original designers have of the product.

I believe this is the first catastrophic failure of a bevel gear ass'y I have seen on a C-14 although there have been one or two others that were making noise and also needed replacement. Glad to hear it did not result in a surprise get-off or anything like that. Hope you get the bike back at least as good as new.

Brian

I don't baby my toys, I enjoy them so to me (at least up to the last one) the things were minor.  This last thing though...  Well with the way it let loose while doing 155 with oil everywhere my first thought was damn I blew the motor but nope just the black side cover blew off and oil all over...  Then of course upon inspection it had only half of the required bearings left :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »

:o 

Yikes WNP! Was this is awhile ago or just recently? Have you since fixed it? If not let me know, I have a spare complete bevel gear assembly I might be willing to sell ya.