Author Topic: '10 rotors vs. '11 rotors  (Read 4538 times)

Offline stlhrsrdr

'10 rotors vs. '11 rotors
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:51 PM »
was at the local dealer yesterday to address a recall on my '08(brake pedal),and asked about possibly having the warped rotors covered under warrantee.no straight answer,small dealership and unaware of the issue.anyway,while waiting for the recall to be taken care of,i was wondering the floor.and i noticed that the front rotors on the 2011 zx14 and the concours are different than the 2010 and earlier models.more surface area and a beefier center section.the 1000's and smaller are still using the previous design.maybe mother kaw has accepted that the previous rotors are insufficient for the bigger bikes.now to see if i can get mine replaced.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: '10 rotors vs. '11 rotors
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
I believe the rotors themselves on the 2011s are the same as the earlier models but Kawasaki did beef up the carriers. They are trying to address the problem of rotors warping. They also changed the pad material on the 2010's and later for the same reason. It will be a while before anyone knows if it worked or not.

Brian

was at the local dealer yesterday to address a recall on my '08(brake pedal),and asked about possibly having the warped rotors covered under warrantee.no straight answer,small dealership and unaware of the issue.anyway,while waiting for the recall to be taken care of,i was wondering the floor.and i noticed that the front rotors on the 2011 zx14 and the concours are different than the 2010 and earlier models.more surface area and a beefier center section.the 1000's and smaller are still using the previous design.maybe mother kaw has accepted that the previous rotors are insufficient for the bigger bikes.now to see if i can get mine replaced.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
well one thing that i have had a issue with on my '11 is break noise.  they squeak like there is no tomorrow.  i took it to the local kawi shop and they said that this was normal for these type of rotors.  i have had/have 3 bikes with "these type rotors" and none of them squeak like the c14 do??

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
C-14's have been squeaking since '07 and a lot of folks have mentioned it. The cure is to put a small amount of grease on the back of the pads, or that 'stop squeak' stuff sold at auto supply houses.

Brian

well one thing that i have had a issue with on my '11 is break noise.  they squeak like there is no tomorrow.  i took it to the local kawi shop and they said that this was normal for these type of rotors.  i have had/have 3 bikes with "these type rotors" and none of them squeak like the c14 do??
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
do they not put that on from the factory??
and i assume you put it between the shim and the pad.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
No, the pads and piston faces will be dry from the factory.

The grease goes on the surface that contacts the caliper piston. If I remember correctly there are no shims on the front end of a C-14. Either way, just use a small amount of grease and wipe just about as much as possible off the pads. And of course do not get any on the faces of the brake pads. I usually very lightly grease the edges of the pads that bear against the calipers too.

Brian

do they not put that on from the factory??
and i assume you put it between the shim and the pad.

Offline stlhrsrdr

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
I believe the rotors themselves on the 2011s are the same as the earlier models but Kawasaki did beef up the carriers. They are trying to address the problem of rotors warping. They also changed the pad material on the 2010's and later for the same reason. It will be a while before anyone knows if it worked or not.

Brian
the actual rotor is different also.it's wider,more area for disapation.would sure be nice if they would warranty mine with a set of '11s,but i'll just be happy to get them warranteed.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
Interesting. Just a visual look and they appeared the same with the carrier being very different between those two years. I will have to pay more attention at the dealer next time although I do not believe they have an '11 in stock. It will be interesting to note the actual difference in size.

Brian

the actual rotor is different also.it's wider,more area for disapation.would sure be nice if they would warranty mine with a set of '11s,but i'll just be happy to get them warranteed.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
Has anyone ever attempted to turn the rotors?

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Has anyone ever attempted to turn the rotors?

I wouldn't. The end result will be a thinner rotor that will be more prone to warping.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
I've never heard of anyone trying to turn a motorcycle rotor.