Author Topic: Oil Change - fail  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Gsun

Re: Oil Change - fail
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
My manual is not handy at the moment, but I believe there us a torque spec for the filter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »
Yes there is...  13ft-lbs.    I don't see how anyone can achieve that unless they use a K&N with the nut on top so that a torque wrench can be used.  I've never had an issue with any oil filter that I've hand tightened.  I just tighten by hand until it won't turn anymore.  The problem with filters on these bikes is that if you get it too tight it becomes one with the bike and takes herculean efforts to get it loose.  We've also had anecdotal evidence that 13ft-lbs is way too tight.  Also, the picture of the filter doesn't agree with my K&N-303.  For instance, the second picture shows the word Performance above the K&N logo with the rectangular box totally filled in with white paint.  Mine shows the word Powersports and the rectangular boxes are not filled in with white paint, except for a very small section next to the K&N lettering.  Additionally, mine shows KN-303 above the Powersports lettering and the nut has a hole in it for safety wire.  The OP's does not show the KN-303 and that's the only place on my filter that does show the model.   I'm not sure what I'm getting at but it could be a change in production as far as the logo goes or it could be counterfeit.  I don't know.  In either case I would let the K&N folks know about the issue at hand.  I'm sure that they would be very interested in it.   

For those that run these filters can you check to see if your lettering matches up with the OP's?

Just did a quick search on google for images of the 303 and they agree with what I have on hand (KN-303) so now I'm a bit puzzled by the OP's pictures of his filter.  I also tried a search using the word performance and still got the same images of the filter I have on hand.

Next time I change my oil, I'm going to test how much torque I apply by hand assuming I can get my torque wrench to work under there.  The wrench is a largish Snap On click type.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »
snip...

Also, the picture of the filter doesn't agree with my K&N-303.  For instance, the second picture shows the word Performance above the K&N logo with the rectangular box totally filled in with white paint.  Mine shows the word Powersports and the rectangular boxes are not filled in with white paint, except for a very small section next to the K&N lettering.  Additionally, mine shows KN-303 above the Powersports lettering and the nut has a hole in it for safety wire.  The OP's does not show the KN-303 and that's the only place on my filter that does show the model.   I'm not sure what I'm getting at but it could be a change in production as far as the logo goes or it could be counterfeit.  I don't know.  In either case I would let the K&N folks know about the issue at hand.  I'm sure that they would be very interested in it.   

For those that run these filters can you check to see if your lettering matches up with the OP's?

Just did a quick search on google for images of the 303 and they agree with what I have on hand (KN-303) so now I'm a bit puzzled by the OP's pictures of his filter.  I also tried a search using the word performance and still got the same images of the filter I have on hand.

You made me go out to the garage and check out the 303 that I have out there. You're right (of course), the 303 that I have does not match the OP's pics but it does match your description. Another difference is that the flange that the o-ring is mounted in is not painted in the OP's pics but it is on the filter that I have here.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »
 :doh:   missed that one.  Good catch, my friend.  Something is very fishy here (the filter, not the OP), methinks.

To the OP, where did you get this filter from and is there a KN number on it?  I still can't find any images that match the filter that you are showing to us.  And did you get a 'good' deal on it?  These filters typically sell for $10+.  Even looking on ebay I can't find an image to match what the OP is showing us.

I'm really beginning to think that is a fake K&N....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
I am partial to the OEM filters, I just snug them down as tight as I can by hand "I use a hand gripper for opening jars" and I have had zero leaks and zero issues.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline clogan

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »
I've been changing oil since I was a young lad, working in my dad's "Broadway Esso" service station (anybody remember Esso?) waaay back in the mid-60's. Anyhow, I have always just hand-tightened the filter as tight as I can, using only one hand. Never had a leak, never had trouble on subsequent removal.

Cars, trucks, bikes, tractors, mowers, outboards, PWCs...all the same. Oil up the new filter gasket, clean off the old surface, and spin it on. Grit your teeth to tighten with one hand. Call it done.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
I've been changing oil since I was a young lad, working in my dad's "Broadway Esso" service station (anybody remember Esso?) waaay back in the mid-60's. Anyhow, I have always just hand-tightened the filter as tight as I can, using only one hand. Never had a leak, never had trouble on subsequent removal.

Cars, trucks, bikes, tractors, mowers, outboards, PWCs...all the same. Oil up the new filter gasket, clean off the old surface, and spin it on. Grit your teeth to tighten with one hand. Call it done.

+1!

My first real paying job was pumping gas at my dad's Esso. He paid me $1.25/hour.    ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BMahar

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
   I use HiFlo #303 on my Blackbird and the 2011  1400 Concours. The HiFlo has a round rubber gasket as shown in the OP's picture.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
The HiFlo has a round rubber gasket as shown in the OP's picture.
 Brent

A round O-ring requires more tightening to get it to smoosh down properly.  You don't have that issue with a flat rubber gasket. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
Yes there is...  13ft-lbs.    I don't see how anyone can achieve that unless they use a K&N with the nut on top so that a torque wrench can be used.  I've never had an issue with any oil filter that I've hand tightened.  I just tighten by hand until it won't turn anymore.  The problem with filters on these bikes is that if you get it too tight it becomes one with the bike and takes herculean efforts to get it loose.  We've also had anecdotal evidence that 13ft-lbs is way too tight. ......

YEP... anecdoted by myself back in 07 I believe.... 8)

At the rated torque, the seal is out of the equation (when using the OEM filter) and the torque is actually  applied by the metal can against the engine housing..... ??? :'(

I suggest "as tight as you can by hand, plus a half turn by wrench.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
That's what I've always done on all my machines. Turn as tight as possible by hand then a bit more with the wrench.  Only leak I've ever had was the dreaded double gasket scenario when I didn't realize the old gasket stuck to the engine.

Coincidently I just read the column by Peter Egan in Cycle World last night where he describes an oil change in which everything that has ever gone wrong in an oil change happens. I'm a few months behind in my reading so don't try to find it in the latest copy.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
FWIW

As many folks here, on all of my machines I hand tighten the oil filter. However when I bought my 09 C14 ( 5 years ago) I began torquing the filter per the specs. I have used OEM, Mobil1 M1-110 and most recently the K&N 303 oil filters ( someone mentioned that his C14 start up "rattle" was eliminated by the K&N), made no difference on my bike ( I just put in my earplugs before I start my bike and wah lah no more rattle). I use a 3/8" torque wrench with an extension and an AmPro 65mm/14 F type oil wrench..never had a leak and the oil filter comes off although it is stubborn but have had no major filter deformity. Now the spec for my 2011 GSXR 1000 calls for the oil filter to be torqued to 14.5 ft/lbs., which I do with the same results as with the Concours. I figure there must be technical reason why the engineers of both of these bikess recommend the torque.

Once however changing the oil filter on my pick up I did not notice the old filter gasket stuck on the engine... well what a mess I made along with continued oil dripping. Had to park the truck in the grass and try washing the oil off and of course the oil burning smell for many days thereafter.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:42:21 PM by tjpgi »
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Just curious but how tight did the filter feel at 'touch plus 1/4 turn'? The reason I ask is because what  you have there looks like the seal blew out under pressure, either from a defective oil filter stamping or seal, or insufficient tightening. Could you have easily kept tightening it by hand or were you about at the limit of how tight you could get it?

I tighten the oil filters as tight as I can by hand only although I do wear rubber gloves and that really does help in gripping the filter. The filters always come off with great difficulty so I am confident they are more than tight enough, plus they never seep or leak oil.

Brian

Ever try to do things right and have an epic failure? This by far is not the first time I have changed oil on a motorcycle.
Drained the Oil, installed new a crush washer, and a new oil filter. Yes, I went hand tight plus about a quarter turn. I even put oil on the rubber seal. Filled with oil. Started the bike and Poof! Oil all over the garage. I dont know if I did something wrong, or if this is a one off failure.

ever see this before?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com