Author Topic: FOB problems ?  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Cuda

FOB problems ?
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
OK I washed one of my FOBs put battery in good for three days?
and then goes dead ?  FOB repair anyone ???
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: FOB problems ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
I've washed mine before.  Let everything dry out and replace the battery and all was well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
Take it apart completely and with the battery removed place it in a baggie with some UNCOOKED white rice. Or if you have a bunch of those lil desiccant packets around, use them instead of the rice. Let it dry out in the baggie for a couple of days and then try it again. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
Hopefully you have a spare. So you don't haver to repalce the ECU. That is if it doesn't come back to life
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »
What Conrad said, also look on the circuit board for corrosion; any white or greenish- white, powdery looking stuff anywhere on the board, even under components if you can see under there. Everything on the board and the board itself should have a sheen or outright shine. If you do find any corrosion, use a small amount of 91% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to gently wipe it off.

It is usually a small amount of corrosion between components or traces (the copper lines on the board) that causes electronics to drain batteries quickly, especially after they have gotten wet.

Even if you cannot get the RF or the remote part of the fob to work correctly, the fob will still function as an RFID unit if held against the ignition switch housing so DO NOT throw the fob away. The owner's manual has directions on how to use the fob this way (with a dead battery).

Brian

OK I washed one of my FOBs put battery in good for three days?
and then goes dead ?  FOB repair anyone ???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline koval68

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
^^^ what Brian said- after all, he is an " wet fob" expert... ;)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »
the KiPass FOB has all mad pow-ah  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
All hail KIPASS!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »

Yep, that ought to about do it for me.  Thanks, Brian.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
Kirby wishes he was with that^^^   FOB too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
I still remember the look on the barkeep's face when I asked her to put more wine in the glass to cover the fob.... which I then dropped in the glass to show her how much more wine was needed. That fob still smells like Riesling by the way. I had that glass for a long time too- I remember sneaking the glass (with the wine and the fob in it) out of the restaurant. Violating state liquor laws and soaking my fob.... good times.  ;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
All hail keys!!!!!!!  :hail:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »
I washed the key for my old bike once and... nothing happened.  :yikes:

In fairness, I have also washed my FOB and... nothing happened.  :yikes:

I didn't do anything with the fob when I washed mine since it worked and the FOB has some weather sealing. Brian's suggestion of cleaning it with rubbing alcohol is good advice with the exception that rubbing alcohol is usually 70 percent isopropyl alcohol, what you want it a 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has too much water content for use in electronics.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »
Ah, finally- proof that mechanical keys and electronic fobs are completely equal! Except, of course, for the fact that fobs are so much better.  ;D

I would agree with you on the alcohol but note that I recommended 91% rather than 70% for exactly the reason you mention. 99% would be even better but 91% is the purest readily available in local stores. 99% is an industrial mix and much harder to find and purchase in small quantities.

I also specifically recommenced rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol is called rubbing alcohol in the US) because it will not attack anything inside the fob, the electronics, the plastic or the rubber. Using something like denatured alcohol is risky because it is usually denatured with a fair dose (technical term) of acetone which attacks many kinds of plastics and is hard on some electrical components (anything coated, varnished, the silkscreen on the board itself, etc.) I have found that the 9% water in 91% alcohol will evaporate pretty fast and does not leave any water behind.

But by all means, if 99% isopropyl alcohol is available, it would be better than 91% for cleaning anything electronic for exactly the reason you mentioned; less water is always better around anything electronic.

Brian

I washed the key for my old bike once and... nothing happened.  :yikes:

In fairness, I have also washed my FOB and... nothing happened.  :yikes:

I didn't do anything with the fob when I washed mine since it worked and the FOB has some weather sealing. Brian's suggestion of cleaning it with rubbing alcohol is good advice with the exception that rubbing alcohol is usually 70 percent isopropyl alcohol, what you want it a 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has too much water content for use in electronics.

Offline koval68

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
. Violating state liquor laws,soaking my fob and torturing Cap'n Bob.... good times.  ;D

Brian
I fixed that for you... ;)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
Ah, finally- proof that mechanical keys and electronic fobs are completely equal! Except, of course, for the fact that fobs are so much better.  ;D

I would agree with you on the alcohol but note that I recommended 91% rather than 70% for exactly the reason you mention. 99% would be even better but 91% is the purest readily available in local stores. 99% is an industrial mix and much harder to find and purchase in small quantities.

I also specifically recommenced rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol is called rubbing alcohol in the US)
Brian

I saw that you recommended 91 percent, I was only clarifying since most people see rubbing alcohol and simply buy what they usually see, which is 70 percent. Most places I shop have regular rubbing alcohol and anything above 70 percent is labeled isoproplyl.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
I'll have to get some tomorrow all I have is 50% on hand
I washed it about a month ago and thought all was well  :'(
So dielectric silicone compound is a no no ?
I screwed up my truck key door opener type thing (Dodge) while kayaking (salt water ) does the same thing, works for a while then _____
Where do you get 99%
Glad this one is my spare .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:38:14 AM by Cuda »
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
I'll have to get some tomorrow all I have is 50% on hand
So dielectric silicone compound is a no no ?

I wouldn't

Where do you get 99%

I have NEVER seen 99%.  But I use 91% all the time.  You can get it at Walmart or pretty much any drug store.  I never use anything less than 91% when doing stuff like electronics, cleaning magnetic read heads, and many other uses.  In fact, I just don't buy anything else now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:59 AM »
Instead of using alcohol I'd recommend using a good contact cleaner. Hands down the best contact cleaner/restorative that I've used is Cramolin. It'll clean the contacts and keep them from oxidizing.

It ain't cheap though...

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cuda

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »
So will that stuff help corrosion on the board?
or is that just contact cleaner.
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver