Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293027 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #580 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Ryan, we need pics w/hiway pegs and bike on it's side.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #581 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
Ehm....
I'm new here, I'm a rookie in this forum...
So please bear with me....
...but....
Please, don't put the highway pegs on this bike!!!! :yikes:

Don't make it a Harley....
They're different things!
The original posture is perfect, moving the legs forward will cause you pain in the back, despite an initial sense of comfort.
And the style... no comment! ;)

I humbly say again: don't put the pegs in that way!

(...retiring in the shell as any rookie deserves) :)

Hahahahah if you read my post you'll see that I was originally in the same school of thought as you currently are. After actually sitting on the bike though, they really are pretty comfy. I figured highway pegs would be counter productive to the forward-leaning body angle the bike puts the rider in. Although, keep in mind, this is an optional add-on. You don't have to buy the highway pegs if you don't like the look/functionality of them. It's merely just another option those interested can include in their order if they so desire! We weren't going to mess with highway pegs originally but it seems like there are quite a few people who would really like the option available.

Ryan, we need pics w/hiway pegs and bike on it's side.

Ahhh, good call! I can promise you the pegs and clamps would take a hit in a tip-over but I'm not sure if the pegs pose any risk to the fairings themselves. The only worry would be the pegs maybe rotating around and hitting the fairing in a bad enough spill but that should be remedied by sinching them down tightly and people who choose to put them on have to simply accept that risk. I'll see if I can get some tip-over photos of the bar with the pegs on it for you, though!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #582 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Now it need some ape hangars.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #583 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
No comment on the pegs, but if you have shorter legs they may work.  Not sure a 34" inseam would work to well....

Anyway, I think the bars look really good, so feel free to wrap this up and start production! (after some drop shots are taken of course).
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #584 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
No comment on the pegs, but if you have shorter legs they may work.  Not sure a 34" inseam would work to well....

Anyway, I think the bars look really good, so feel free to wrap this up and start production! (after some drop shots are taken of course).

You can move the pegs wherever you like on the bar so they could potentially be pretty far forward if you really wanted them to be. The only issue is the fairing angles in towards the front so it's a bit of a weird position having to "wrap" your legs around it so I can definitely see how it'd be a bit awkward for taller folks. Then again, it's merely just an optional thing for those who do like them. The bars aren't going to include these pegs so just disregard them if they're not for you.

I sure am glad we're getting ever-closer to production, though! The sooner we get these things cookin', the sooner they're in your hands!  ;D
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

MGvalerio

« Reply #585 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »

MGvalerio. 8)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #586 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
I like the highway pegs.  They do stick out a bit, which makes me wonder if the rear of the saddlebags will be susceptible to tipover damage even with the rear bars in place due to the increased angulation of contact up front with the pegs in place.  Also, wouldn't the contact load on tipover be all in the front with the highway pegs?

Naw, the rear of the saddle bags are safe in the situation you described. With our current set up the rear portion of the saddle bags are not even close to touching the ground. I don't think folded pegs protruding 2-3" would be enough to throw the angle off THAT much. Although, I'll tip the bike over for you guys with the highway pegs on there and see what it looks like and snap some photos.

Regarding the contact load, I think we may actually be okay because of where the bar actually comes into contact with the ground first but I can't be sure of this until I tip the bike over. Currently the bar hits the ground farther back than one might think just by looking. I'll get some photos when we tip the bike over though so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #587 on: April 19, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
OK.
I've been contacted by Valerio in order to explain the modifications proposed in the picture he posted above.
He's suggesting to:
  • bend more the bar, as you can see, making it tighter to the lower part of the fairing.
  • increase the distance of the bar from the fairing going upwards
  • enter the fairing on the hole right above where it enters now.
Doing in this way, according to Valerio, you can avoid that the mirrors get damaged when the bike drops
Moreover, the new shape at the bottom is more in line with the style of the fairing.

I'm reporting what Valerio is suggesting hoping that his suggestions, always made with the aim to be constructive, now can be more clearly understood.

P.S.: I personally don't know if the bar can be fixed where Valerio is suggesting (above the current) but I like more the design he's proposing. Just a matter of personal taste!  ;)

Ciao
Ugo
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #588 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Excellent! I really like the highway peg option. Many of us have risers on the bars and the more rise and pull back of the bars the more comfy the pegs become. I currently have pegs in a similar position but attached to projektd sliders. If I drop my bike the pegs and the sliders will fold like a cheap suit and will do a lot of damage to the faring. Having the pegs with great tip over protection is exactly what I have been looking for.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #589 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
I wasn't expecting to model for you guys! If I knew I'd be taking photos on the bike I would have worn my Speedo's!

Well, I was enjoying my cake.   :P
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #590 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Although I agree that the black bars look better on the darker color bikes. Don't you have an '08-'09 though? We'll be making a completely new set of bars for that bike as this bar for the 2010-2012 won't be fitting on the 2008-2009s.

You didn't see my posting info/signature/avatar?  :)  I have a Silver 2011....

At first I couldn't quite understand what you meant but after glaring at the latest set of photos for the last few minutes I finally realized what you meant. I'll talk to Armando about slightly raising the rear end of the lower bar so it's perfectly parallel to the upper bar which currently matches the vents. Thanks for catching this, Maxtog!

:)

Also, I got some photos a bit farther back for you guys so you can see what I mean about the entire package looking proper together. Most of the photos up until this point have been closer so perhaps a different perspective will help a bit.

It is nice to have as many photos and angles as possible, but if you want us to agree with you that the parallelism and angles are fixed, we will still need a similar photo shot as the previous ones (closer, more square/straight on)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #591 on: April 19, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
I've been contacted by Valerio in order to explain the modifications proposed in the picture he posted above.

1) Neat design and idea!  The are more visible than ever with that design, but they do fit with the style of the bike quite well

2) No, I don't think that is going to change anything about the mirrors- they will still hit on a full on-side event.  The only way to protect the mirrors is with something like the original bathroom bars, which stick out a LOT.

3) His design would REQUIRE that the lower mount meet at the intersection of the upper horizontal and the vertical bar.  I believe they might have technical problems with that.

4) The design will significantly reduce the strength of the lower bar.  If that is an issue or not, I don't know.

5) Probably too late in the design phase for such a radical change.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #592 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »

Now, I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong and I was incorrect in saying highway pegs aren't for this bike. We mocked up a set of highway pegs and they really are comfortable. I was of the thought that the aggressive body angle the bike puts you in would be a funky position to put your feet up, I was incorrect. They're fairly basic and not super pretty but they're a great solution for the cramped knees and they can be put on or taken off within minutes and adjusted almost infinitely. You can move them to wherever you want on the Canyon Cage, forward or backward, as well as change both the horizontal angle as well as the vertical angle of the pegs. Oh yea, and they fold up. They wouldn't come with the Canyon Cage (to keep costs as low as possible for those who don't want them) but you could tack them onto your order for $40-$60 for the set (including the clamps and mounting hardware) depending on what peg style you prefer. The pegs in the photo are our Alligator style peg.

:thumbs: ;)

Any chance you could utilize the rear pegs with your clamps? Not only would it keep the symmetry but lots take the rear pegs off when they add the rear bars...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #593 on: April 19, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
The bars look great, now for on 08-09 version.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #594 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
The bars look great, now for on 08-09 version.
Agreed. Let's get these slower second gen bikes out of the way and get on with the real work. :)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #595 on: April 19, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
OK.
He's suggesting to:
  • bend more the bar, as you can see, making it tighter to the lower part of the fairing.
  • increase the distance of the bar from the fairing going upwards
  • enter the fairing on the hole right above where it enters now.
Doing in this way, according to Valerio, you can avoid that the mirrors get damaged when the bike drops
Moreover, the new shape at the bottom is more in line with the style of the fairing.

I'm reporting what Valerio is suggesting hoping that his suggestions, always made with the aim to be constructive, now can be more clearly understood.

P.S.: I personally don't know if the bar can be fixed where Valerio is suggesting (above the current) but I like more the design he's proposing. Just a matter of personal taste!  ;)

Ciao
Ugo

As always, I appreciate all suggestions and recommendations! Also, thank you for being our translator! Regarding the changes, I think most of those changes will do more harm than good unfortunately because there's really no way to protect the mirrors without widening the bars a ton and moving them back up on the bike. Even our bathroom bars don't protect the mirrors in a total tip-over, they merely make it more difficult for the bike to rock over that initial hit point. The reason we went into that vent is because that's where the mount is inside the fairing. We could move the bar so it went into a different vent but then we'd have to use a bracket to reach the mounting point which would weaken the bar. I think the changes you proposed would make the bar look a tad better but unfortunately they'd weaken the bar which is no good. Lastly, regarding Valerios suggested changes going better with the lines towards the bottom the bike, there are actually a few different lines down there that go at a few different angles. It's tough to tell from the photos but as it is, the bars actually go with the majority of the lines quite well. There are just a few other lines that go at a slightly different angle that we can't really do much about. If we changed the bar to go with those lines, they wouldn't match the lines they currently do.

You didn't see my posting info/signature/avatar?  :)  I have a Silver 2011....

:)

It is nice to have as many photos and angles as possible, but if you want us to agree with you that the parallelism and angles are fixed, we will still need a similar photo shot as the previous ones (closer, more square/straight on)

Oop, you're right! Sorry, Maxtog! I've met and talked to so many people over the passed few weeks that I get you guys mixed up from time to time! You're totally right about the camera angles needing to be similar to compare the bars, that was my bad. I'll get some other closer views of the bar from a straight-on angle so you guys can compare. I promise they're parallel, though!

:thumbs: ;)

Any chance you could utilize the rear pegs with your clamps? Not only would it keep the symmetry but lots take the rear pegs off when they add the rear bars...

Ooohh, that's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, though, the stock rear pegs on the bike have a "male" connection on them and the pegs we use have a "female" connection so they can be mounted to the pivot block and allowed to fold up. They may work with some minor modification but as it is currently, they wouldn't work.

Agreed. Let's get these slower second gen bikes out of the way and get on with the real work. :)

Hahahahahaha we're planning on getting the 2009 bike in here as soon as we're finished up with this bar. We should be rocking and rolling on the earlier generation bikes by the week of 4/30 at the latest. Also, keep in mind that it won't take us nearly as long to do that bike because we already have the *basic* design in mind. We're basically just going to modify it so it fits and goes with the lines of the '08-'09. We're making progress, although it feels like it's going slowly!

Offline ugocon

« Reply #596 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:50 AM »
One personal question (not Valerio's...  ;))
Does this cage fit the MY2011 of the European version GTR 1400?

As far as I know MY2010, 2011 and 2012 are all the same and so should be the European version and the American version (C14): can you confirm that?

Sorry if you already treated this topic in the post.... but it's very long and I couldn't check it all!  :)

Thank you and ciao
Ugo

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #597 on: April 20, 2012, 03:50:26 AM »
One personal question (not Valerio's...  ;))
Does this cage fit the MY2011 of the European version GTR 1400?

As far as I know MY2010, 2011 and 2012 are all the same and so should be the European version and the American version (C14): can you confirm that?

Sorry if you already treated this topic in the post.... but it's very long and I couldn't check it all!  :)

Thank you and ciao
Ugo

All frame and body panels (except color) are the same. So yes, these will fit the European 2010-2012 C-14's.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
Thank you! :chugbeer:

Offline wendel

« Reply #599 on: April 20, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
The design looks satisfactory to me. I think we are at the point that the general consensus is they are a good looking design and all we now need is the drop test. I appreciate you making all the former changes, however it is becoming ever more apparent that no matter what design you come up with, someone is going to want something moved a millimeter here or there. I say, do the drop tests, post the drop tests, and if successful, list a price for initial buyers and those of us who want to trade in the front bars from the initial group purchase. Otherwise, you and your staff will still be making changes until next year. I appreciate everything you have done and you have a well designed product that now needs to be brought to market. Thanks Ryan.

No speedos please. Now good looking female assistants in bikinis would not hurt.
2012 C14