Author Topic: C14 advice pls  (Read 15252 times)

Offline OregonJim

• Think Blue
C14 advice pls
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
Greetings all: I just joined the forum and am looking for some help. Sold my BMW R1150RT last year, at the age of 61, thinking I was done motorcycling. Now, I'm having those old pangs. My question: What do I need to know about the C14 -- vs. ST1300 or R1200RT -- to make a wise buying decision. I'm wondering about common problems, ease of maintenance, gas mileage, the weight issue, anything else you think is relevant. FYI, I've owned more than a dozen motorcycles over 40 years of riding, including a 1986 C10 (yes, it had the dreaded cam chain tensioner issue). All opinions appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Jim
2012 C14

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: C14 advice pls
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
My first opinion was that 61 is OLD.  Then I remembered my own age.  It was a bit of a shock to realize how close I am. :)

MPG-high 30's to mid 40's for most of us.  Other than valves, maintenance isn't too bad.  The plastics make things take longer/cost more, but most everything is within the capabilities of a decent wrench.

If you haven't started losing too much muscle mass, the weight is manageable.  In motion, the bike is fine.  If you have a 32" inseam and reasonable strength, you s/b fine.  Many shorter riders are fine with the C14, but you would have to decide if you or the bike could accomodate each other.

I have a friend with an R1150RT, and while the bikes are compatible with the C14, there is enough difference that liking one may not mean liking the other.  Most of us here really like the C14, but this would be your bike purchase, so you need to be honest with yourself as to what you are looking for.   With your years & # of bikes experience, you are free to know and get what you really want, rather than what someone else thinks might be best for you.

Best wishes.

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline jkramer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
Im 64 and enjoying my c14 more than any other bike ive ever had. Ive never outgrown my need for speed and I will never grow up. Besides 61, 64, 68, or whatever is just a number. I still have a harley softail deuce and it hasent been ridden more than 3 miles since I got the c14, thats been 8 months. The weight is not a problem at all, especially compaired to goldwings,ultra classics or big touring bikes or virtually any harley. And to boot my wife loves to ride with me, we ride every chance we get. I could go on and on about the c14 and how I cant stay off it but Ill stop now. God bless 

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »
O.K. now 61 isn't old, I'm 62 and went from 26 years of Gold Wings to a Concours 1400. My 82 years old riding buddy has a BMW 1300GT and puts about 15,000 mile a year on it, so age has no bearing. The Concours is more of a sport bike than a tourer, the ST1300 is more of a tourer than a sport bike. I think the BMW 1300Gt is better at both but is a lot higher priced also.
The ST 1300 has a bigger tank, 7.7 gls. the concours has 5.8 and the BMW has I think 6.6 but not sure. The BMW gets a constant 50 + MPG my Concours get about 42 and my friends 09 ST 1300 gets in the high 40's. Maintenance is probably close on all of them.  The Concours has a 6 speed tranny, tire pressure monitoring system, gear indicator, volt meter, and some other OEM stuff that the ST 1300 doesn't have. The BMW has them all plus cruise control and self cancelling turn signals. I woulsd say test ride them all and see which one fits you the best.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
Other stuff you should know:

2008-2009 ABS optional
2010          ABS with traction control optional, heated grips standard, better heat dissipation for the rider
2011+        ABS with traction control standard

I think the weight and size could be an issue depending on your inseam. I'm 56, have 32" inseam and this bike is no problem what so ever. I put a Russel seat on it and then it became a problem. I had to push myself right up to the tank at stops and was still on toes. If I stopped some where with a slope and sand or gravel, was a bit scary. Went back to stock seat and no problem again.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
The only thing I can do is echo everyone else. I’m just a couple of years behind ya and love the 14. This bike has put a smile back on my face. Gas mileage could be better but I’m ready to get off at 220 miles on the tank any ways. It is important you have a 32 inch inseam or better as this bike is tall. But once underway it’s easy to go where you want too.

If you find a good deal on a 08 or 09, don’t worry about the ‘heat” issue. It’s true these 14’s dump heat down at the feet, but long pants and boots take care of this. I have had a large amount of heat come up through the triple tree area while stopped at stop light in 100 + degree heat and was glad to get underway again. The 14 has a big motor and the cooling system does a great job of keeping the engine cool. This is the only fault I find for myself on this machine. Others might have problems with the Kipass but I have not.

I like the ABS. I felt the bake brake pulsing one time when stopping on some sand but I got stopped without sliding. 

The stock tires suck. When you put Pilot Road 2’s or 3’s on, it becomes a better handling bike by leaps and bounds. I have 11K miles on the PR 2’s I have and they still have another year left on them.

Best, TimR
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline JeffM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
I can't offer advice as I've not owned a bike in 20 years or so, but I too have the itch and have been keeping an eye out.

There is a great ST forum here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/index.php

For what it's worth, I read quite a few posts from former ST owners that now own a Connie, but have yet to come across a current ST owner that came from a Connie.

In any case, the st-owners forum is  filled with really great folks that ride all kinds of bikes. No matter what I settle on, that's the main place I'll hang out still.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
Here is my opinion FWIW.

ST1300 (only ridden for about 20 miles)-
Comfortable bike with tons of range
Kinda vanilla if you know what I mean (performance and looks)
Honda reliablity

R1200RT (another short ride)
COST!
Pretty comfortable right out of the box without feeling like it needs a new seat, bars.......
COST!  ($$$$$$)

C14
Is a great mix of sport and touring
so-so fuel mileage (I usually get between 38-42 mpg)
might take a little time and money to get it to fit you
doesn't take much to uncork the motor for ear to ear grins when you whack the throttle
eats rear tires like they are going out of style if you ride agressively
I have said this before but I will say it again.

Call me Goldilocks since the C14 is my "just right" bowl of porridge.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
It is important you have a 32 inch inseam or better as this bike is tall. But once underway it’s easy to go where you want too.

Funny that no less than three replies mention inseam when the OP didn't say anything about tallness :)

Do note that there is no one perfect way to measure "inseam", so any number someone quotes isn't that exact.  That said, I have short legs (27" clothing, 30" true) and a long torso.  The Concours is quite a handful....errr... a "legfull" and can be problematic for those people with shorter legs.  Of course, that is true of most any sports, dual-sport, or sports-touring bike and is not restricted to the Concours.

Anyway, I was forced to lower it and also wear heightened boots, but I can manage it now.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
I can't offer advice as I've not owned a bike in 20 years or so, but I too have the itch and have been keeping an eye out.

There is a great ST forum here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/index.php

For what it's worth, I read quite a few posts from former ST owners that now own a Connie, but have yet to come across a current ST owner that came from a Connie.

In any case, the st-owners forum is  filled with really great folks that ride all kinds of bikes. No matter what I settle on, that's the main place I'll hang out still.

Hope you enjoy the other forum as much as I enjoy this one.

Offline W14

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
+1 on the earlier posts. One thing about the C14 is that one twist on the throttle will make you forget that you are 61

Offline JeffM

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
I enjoy this one too, that's why I'm here.  ;)

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
The R1200RT is a nice bike when everything works. The single sided swing arm is prone to failure, they go out right about the same time the warranty does. As reliable as the 1150 was the 1200 isn't. It is the most expensive of the three bikes and the slowest.  It is comfortable and handles very well and has great brakes. I have put 60k + miles on an RT and I’ve been in more tow trucks then I can count.

The ST1300 is getting old and the only thing Honda has done to it is raise the price. It's faster than the RT but it will start dragging parts in a lean before the RT or C14.

The C14 is the fastest of the 3 and the cheapest. It has a ton of technology for the price, much more than the Honda and just as much if not more than the RT.  It has the smallest gas tank and the most aggressive seating position. To sit like you would on the RT or ST you have to get riser blocks.

None of the bikes have a windshield that would make someone over 6’ happy.  ;D

When I was looking to buy back in October, BMW was out, too much money, to many issues.  The FJR was on my list til I sat on it.  It just didn’t fit under me to my liking.  So I was down to the ST and the C!4.  For the reasons above this Honda guy went with the C14.  I absolutely love the bike but no matter what bike you choose the important thing is you get back on a bike.  You’re too young to hang it up!

Offline jkramer

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
I like what w14 said. One twist of the throttle and you forget your age !!!!

Offline OregonJim

• Think Blue
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:09 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the responses. What a great forum! W14 gets the biggest smile with his line on the C14's acceleration making me forget my age. Never got that feeling from my R1150RT. FYI, I learned today that one can buy a Kawasaki through Costco. C14 w/abs for $14,655 out-the-door. Anyone hear of a better price?
Jim
2012 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
All you need to know is the black ones are faster...  ;)

Happy hunting bro!  :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
All you need to know is the black ones are faster...  ;)

Happy hunting bro!  :)

Naaw, ZG, it's the red ones are faster.  8) The boys are right, the C14 moves with little effort. Passing cars could be a new sport. I'm only 23 don't ya know :o  Well in my mind any way.

I forget to cover the fact that on a C14, you will take the long way home with a grin on yer face!

Costco ya say.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:52 AM »

Naaw, ZG, it's the red ones are faster.  8)

;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
What's the color of asphalt?  How fast does that go?  And Harleys are primarily what?  It is a purty color standing still, after each daily washing ;D

And what color are STOP lights?  Red.

Quicksilver fellers ;D  Subtle green streaks would make it illegal ;)

To the OP, 3 things to increase comfort, seat, murphs pegs, and LSL bars.  www.murphskits.com
I liked my R1150RT, plush ride, fairly well balanced, tractor like torque and tranny, short service intervals, OK storage, and expensive service calls.  IMO very expensive vanilla.
Only 52000 miles on my '08, done a bit of everything riding wise, I plan on keeping her till she's beyond repair.  If I wanted a pure touring bike I would get a Wing, pure track bike I would find a good 600, if I wanted a new wife I would already have all three ;)  I have what I think is the best of all worlds and I get to keep my wife of 30 years ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »
Oh SoP... I really just don't know what to do with you bro, you're trapped in a silverdammit world of denial...

;D ;D ;D    :chugbeer: