Author Topic: Front rotors  (Read 15306 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Front rotors
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
That's great news. It's good to see that Ma Kaw is good for the warranty.  :thumbs:

+1  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline tomp

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
I have until the 24th to decide whether to spend the 339, and after keeping up with this thread, I believe I should go for it, unemployed or not.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
I could just about buy two sets of  used zx14 rotors, on ebay, for 339.00.  I'm not sure I'd use this specific issue as a reason to extend.

sorry I had to edit..I type like a drunken four year old...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
I could just about buy two sets of  used zx14 rotors, on ebay, for 339.00.  I'm not sure I'd use this specific issue as a reason to extend.

sorry I had to edit..I type like a drunken four year old...

Well, tyhen you would have rotors of questionable heritage, that may be worse than you current ones... they were for sale for a reason...duh.
Ya still need pads, and even then, its all on you, no further warrantee of parts or service...pretty much a no brainer. Or, I could say that deal and lack of warrantee would have been made without using ones brain...
I have until the 24th to decide whether to spend the 339, and after keeping up with this thread, I believe I should go for it, unemployed or not.  tp

I'm with you on the unemployed thing, money is tight, (im in the same boat currently, but my 08' is good for 2 more years) and its hard to reason the expense, but even my frugal wife would say get that extension, because once it lapses, tough luck Charlie...
If you plan on keeping this bike only a fool would not make the GTPP purchase. Don't wait till the last  moment, as it just adds on to the expiration date of a current plan. You'll kick yourself if it runs out, and you have TPS or brake issues...hell, anything that goes wrong on this bike where you need a part, will cost in excess of $339 for a NEW part and install.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
Picked the bike up yesterday and it was great to have things back the way they are supposed to be.  For the first time in a while I felt confidence in the bike.  Maybe it is just me but they seem to have far less grab than the 09 pads and rotors.

My mileage had to start at 0 with the new instrument cluster but it is documented with Kawasaki and I took photos as well.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Hi,
     Glad everything worked out. I bought my 2012 from a dealer with 1900 miles on it. It looked showroom new. Still had the stickers on it. I bought additional warranty that will see me good to 2018! I call it CHEAP insurance as you see it does not take much to go wrong or wear out to make your money back! Brakes,rotors,TPS tire sensors,even little things like his add up! 8)

Offline connie and me

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Well, I finally had a chance to take mine into the dealer on this rotor issue, ( I was their over 3hrs had to wait for it) they told me the fronts were with in spec. so they drove it, and yes they admitted that their was a "pulse", then they noticed that my front tire had no wheel weights on it, and I told them 2 diff. dealers balanced it, so they REbalanced front wheel, and did NOT add any weights, they drove bike again, and of course still pulsed a little at the front. So they were gonna try and get Kawi to cover it, and or do some thing for me, they know that bike has GTPP till sep. of 2018. It was my first time at this dealer, since I did not buy it from them, the place I bought bike from told Kawasaki to take a hike, ( apparently kawai is very demanding on how many bikes they make you buy) So have to get to know new dealer. anyway after all the work they did, I did not pay for anything that day  ??? and they said they will let me know.....  this was on wed the 8th.
2012 Black

Offline tomp

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Sounds "all good", to me.  Be polite but persistant, in your desire for warranty coverage in this matter, and all should hopefully work out for you.  Keep us posted, as what work is done under the extended warranty, as this is kinda like establishing a prescedent, for others to use as evidence of compliance.  Just a thought... tp

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
I had the same fears since I did not buy from them but this is the third time they have fixed something.  Before they did some meter panel trim piece and they also replaced the TPMS sensors.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Picked the bike up yesterday and it was great to have things back the way they are supposed to be.  For the first time in a while I felt confidence in the bike.  Maybe it is just me but they seem to have far less grab than the 09 pads and rotors.

My mileage had to start at 0 with the new instrument cluster but it is documented with Kawasaki and I took photos as well.

I agree...the new pads dont grab as hard as the older ones.  Not weak, but maybe more progressive???

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
556 Alpha,

Glad they replaced them for you, just hope you don't have the same experience my friend had with his '08....

Kawi and an incredibly reliable dealer replaced his 3 times.
They would be fine for about 3,000 miles or so, then would warp again.

After the 3rd time, he said forget it, the stock parts suck and ARE the problem.
Went with Galfors...end of problem...period.

My 2011 warped it's rotors after only 3,000 miles. After seeing what he went through, I decided it would be a total waste of time to have mine replaced under warranty.
So, I figured out that by using my rear brake pedal first, and braking with it most, then applying the fronts to complete the stop, I don't feel the warped pulsing. It took me a while to train myself to stop that way, but now it's second nature. It really helps!

I'm not rich enough to afford a set of Galfors, so I had to figure out something else. I now have 22,000 miles. So far, so good, using this method of stopping.

Kawasaki has had an issue with rotors since '08.
As many warranty replacements as they've now done, they're bound to realize there's a flaw.

The C14 is a remarkable bike, and I love the reliability both my friends' and mine has demonstrated.
Brake rotors are definitely one of it's weaknesses.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline tomp

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
My 08's rotors are still good after 23K miles, and one pad replacement.  If I grab a handfull of front brake, it feels a little gritty, but no really pulsing.  Maybe I am just lucky, but understanding what causes warpage, I use front and rear brakes together to take some of the heat/pressure off the front rotors. 

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:10 AM »
For what it's worth, the original rotors on my 08 lasted 125,000 miles without any pulsing or any other problem. They finally began with a mild pulsing at 125,000 miles but by then they were worn to well below the service limit. The only "trick" I used was to   briefly release the brakes once or twice during the last few yards of a stop. 
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
I use front and rear brakes together to take some of the heat/pressure off the front rotors.

On the 2nd gen C-14, we don't have a choice with that :)

Even so, I think my rotors might also have a slight amount of warp too.  In my case it is not enough to concern me.... most of the time I don't even notice it.  Hopefully it won't progress, but my luck usually doesn't work that way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Max, I know you use Sunrise but Cycle World has surprisingly been great on my warranty issues and I bought from Rockingham in NC. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
Max, I know you use Sunrise but Cycle World has surprisingly been great on my warranty issues and I bought from Rockingham in NC.

I haven't used Cycle World before, mostly because I bought my bikes from Sunrise.  Generally Sunrise has been good.  But it is nice to know there is another very local option that is recommended, if I need an alternative.

I just stopped by Cycle world a few weeks ago, they had a burgundy Gen 1 C-14 there (tradein, no doubt), WITH HELI HORIZONS installed.  First time I have ever seen those in person.  Bigger than I thought they would be.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Over 35 grand for miles. No braking issues. In fact, they work better than my new ZX14R.

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
Over 35 grand for miles. No braking issues. In fact, they work better than my new ZX14R.

Yummy green 14R JM!  :P 8) :chugbeer:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
I haven't used Cycle World before, mostly because I bought my bikes from Sunrise.  Generally Sunrise has been good.  But it is nice to know there is another very local option that is recommended, if I need an alternative.

I just stopped by Cycle world a few weeks ago, they had a burgundy Gen 1 C-14 there (tradein, no doubt), WITH HELI HORIZONS installed.  First time I have ever seen those in person.  Bigger than I thought they would be.

Did it have the bags off and a Delkevic stainless pipe?  Quite possible that it was my bike as I have the Horizons installed on mine.  They are quite large and with the small factory shield, stock seat, and no trunk or bags they look even larger.  Here is a recent photo with the hybrid Russell seat. (Russell modified back/stock front)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
Did it have the bags off and a Delkevic stainless pipe?

Yes and yes.  It also had side/tank pads on it and a large aftermarket windscreen like what you are showing in the photo.  It might have been red instead of burgundy, the lighting was poor in there.

Quite possible that it was my bike as I have the Horizons installed on mine.  They are quite large and with the small factory shield, stock seat, and no trunk or bags they look even larger.  Here is a recent photo with the hybrid Russell seat. (Russell modified back/stock front)

I don't remember it having that seat, though.  You are local to me?  I don't remember that either (but I have a lousy memory).  You sold your Concours?

The other Concours I saw there was a new, black 2014, a few weeks prior, which they had subsequently sold.