Author Topic: finally did it, car tire on a C14  (Read 44196 times)

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: finally did it
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »

He's been around... just hasn't posted much since Da Crash.  8)

crash????? what crash????
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline roland

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Put another 150mi. on it today and the more i ride the more I like...
I am running 46psi in the tire and the bike is reading 47-48 so I am getting accurate readings and no problems there. Mounting the tire was done on a Harbor Freight changer. Lots of lube, and lots of experence from my younger grease monkey years. Yes it was a challange but SOMEONE had to do it on the c14. The stock tire measures 7 3/4" at the widest point. the ct is 8 1/16" at the widest point. Clearance was my main concern next to the drive shaft cover, that is why I did lots of research on the sizes. I still have a good 1/2" between the tire and driveshaft cover. In the future I may try a 205/50 that will be closer to the correct height of the stock setup...
I WANT TO STRESS THAT I DONT RIDE HARD, DONT ROAD RACE, I JUST RIDE TO AND FROM WORK AND TOUR W/ WIFE AND FRIENDS. I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT I FEEL UNSAFE TO MY WIFE OR BIKE... I love my Concours and enjoy every moment on it. If I felt unsafe or had any reservations about the change I would pull it off and go back to m/c tires.....
The only thing now is I want to find another stock rear rim to mount a m/c tire on just in case I need to go in for warr. work or a trip to the mountains... I really do try to be open minded and plan ahead for different projects. Just think where we would be had no one in the past tried to do somthing new or different, ie. fuel injection vs carbs, varable valve timing vs set timing, etc, etc, etc... :stirpot: I really like this forum and respect the openion of all involved, I am sure some where down the road we will get to meet.
Al
New Bern Nc.

Offline roland

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Sounds like federal government finance to me.
Oh hell no dont even go there. I work for my money so dont push the wrong buttons :cannon:
Sorry to vent but that really struck the wrong nerve....
Al

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »
I WANT TO STRESS THAT I DONT RIDE HARD, DONT ROAD RACE, I JUST RIDE TO AND FROM WORK AND TOUR W/ WIFE AND FRIENDS. I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT I FEEL UNSAFE TO MY WIFE OR BIKE.

Look at that video again.  Do you think he is "riding hard"?  Nope.  Anything that requires more than a few degrees of lean will put you outside the design spec of a car tire.  And riding a motorcycle in any manner other than perfectly straight will require more than a few degrees of lean.

Your contact patch is going to be malformed/distorted.
The patch is going to be unacceptably small at times when it needs to be big.
The patch is unnecessarily large at times it needs to be smaller.
The transition through lean is going to be non-linear and unpredictable.
The side of a car tire is not designed to be driven on.
The tread is not designed to shed water when driven on the edge.
The belts in the tire are not designed to be stressed that way.
It is harder to mount and unmount.
The wheel is not designed to mount a car tire, and it could fail to stay on.
You have probably severely overinflated the car at 46-49psi, designed to run at maybe 32.
It might be ruled gross negligence by an insurance company in an accident.
I can't imagine that would be legal for state inspections.
Even the cheapest, crappiest motorcycle tire will be much safer.
I am not an engineer, and am probably just scratching the surface of the issues.

All this to maybe save $100 over perhaps 5 thousand miles on a $16,000 vehicle?

If I felt unsafe or had any reservations about the change I would pull it off and go back to m/c tires.....

Yeah.  I see.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
All this to maybe save $100 over perhaps 5 thousand miles on a $16,000 vehicle?

+1...

I don't get the saving a $100 thing on a tire... If you want to use that tire buy a Geo Metro and sell your Connie.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
Car Tire on a Goldwing.. rightside up!

The video supplied by So Cal Joe says it all.  Not everything people have tried and posted on this forum can be considered brilliant although occasionally someone offers an option or method that sparks of brilliance.  This one can only be labeled stupid beyond belief.  Let me emphasize "STUPID" and compare it to "Russian Roulette".  Albeit this is not as dangerous as Russian Roulette simply because landing on the loaded cylinder will be fatal whereas landing on your ass probably won't kill you or your wife - but it just might.   

Someone stated that Fred is a bit opinionated at times.  I don't know Fred but do know that his opinions are based on knowledge he has acquired empirically rather than on notions that occurred to him while he was sitting on the john.  This act of genius was probably conceived while you had your head in the john.

I agree with ZG who stated, "I don't get the saving a $100 thing on a tire... If you want to use that tire buy a Geo Metro and sell your Connie."

Maxtog also offered several posts.  All of them are correct and anyone with the good sense God has bestowed upon the average goose should be able to recognize the wisdom implied and act accordingly.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 06:18:29 AM »

I'm pretty active on 3 forums, what a loser I am... Maybe someday I'll have to get real face to face friends...  ;)

We're real J!     :chugbeer:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
Not a loser at all, just means you can multi-task.  You are most blessed.  I, on the other hand, have 'What's that shiny thing over there?' syndrome.  I can't even focus on what I'm doing at the moment....like this.

I like to meet people through these interactions.  I've met Poke and will meet Conrad next year at some point assuming my neck is fixed.  Heck, you may be unlucky enough to meet me at some point....   :yikes:

:thumbs:

How's that neck doing Sparky?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

Offline roland

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback ;D
Yea thou I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, I am protected by KAPASS... 8)
Happy New Year to all, Now I'm going to watch guys jump motorcycles and snowmobiles over a river....
Wow thats really safe too  :rotflmao:
Take care and see ya on the road.
Al

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
Now I'm going to watch guys jump motorcycles and snowmobiles over a river....

Yes, that is also unsafe...  I am sure our recommendation would be "don't do that either".

I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT I FEEL UNSAFE TO MY WIFE OR BIKE...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jasonc32amg

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
Another factor to consider is liability. If someone with one of the these tires wrecks they would be subject to serious liability from anyone suffering damage. I can almost understand this kind of thing on a cruiser but on on a C14?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
:thumbs:

How's that neck doing Sparky?

I'm going to lobby for surgery.  I don't like taking the drugs (not that there's anything wrong with that) to dull the pain and therapy ain't working.  Makes it hurt worse and to top it off my C14 is giving me ugly looks when I walk by it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
Throw a blanket over her head.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
I can almost understand this kind of thing on a cruiser but on on a C14?

No, I can't understand that either.  All street motorcycles have to corner and lean for than several degrees.  And that is all it takes to be WAY outside the design of a car tire.

About the only place I could see trying to use a car tire on a motorcycle is for one that is specifically designed for drag racing and ONLY drag racing.  As in, straight-line motion only.  In that single application, it might actually make sense, since you need every bit of straight upright contact patch possible and there is no cornering.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »

Butter face?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »

Can't bear to do that either...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback ;D
Yea thou I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, I am protected by KAPASS... 8)
Happy New Year to all, Now I'm going to watch guys jump motorcycles and snowmobiles over a river....
Take care and see ya on the road.
Al

Roland, as far as I am concerned if you are a reasonably experienced rider and you feel comfortable with the CT, go for it.  It isn't for me but to each his own.  I also understand the economics of the tire as I also use my bike as my primary transportation, that being said I will still not install a CT since the savings might be a maximum of about 200 per CT for me.  I typically get around 15k out of each of my rear tires probably a result of my heavy winter riding where the tires don't get heated up nearly as much as they would during warmer temps.  Good luck with the tire, I hope it works out for you.

Dave

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
I'm going to lobby for surgery.  I don't like taking the drugs (not that there's anything wrong with that) to dull the pain and therapy ain't working.  Makes it hurt worse and to top it off my C14 is giving me ugly looks when I walk by it.

Do you have a pinched nerve or a herniated disc?  I had two levels fused in my neck.. just curious.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:58 AM »
Do you have a pinched nerve or and a herniated disc?  I had two levels fused in my neck.. just curious.

Yes.