Author Topic: Huge lottery jackpot  (Read 1674 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Huge lottery jackpot
« on: July 12, 2023, 09:15:35 AM »
I missed my opportunity to win the $1.5 Billion Powerball jackpot the last time around. Because I don't play the lottery. It won't happen again. I told myself that once the jackpot hits 3/4 of a billion I play one game per week till I win the jackpot.

Anyone else playing?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Huge lottery jackpot
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 03:05:03 PM »
You can't lose if you don't play!  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:31:03 PM »
That was my philosophy. But someone told me I can't win if I don't play!

So I am torn between the two wisdoms.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 06:42:46 PM »
Just play...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 04:54:29 AM »
I have always found it funny that Lotto's are allowed in states that otherwise forbid gambling. Hypocrites!  ::)

I personally gamble on our EuroMillions Lotto which costs me £20 per month.
Other than that my only gambling is that occasionally I will assume that the driver of that SUV has actually seen me and doesn't want to kill me, but mostly I assume that they haven't seen me or do want to kill me.  8)

It's only a Lottery if ALL tickets are uniquely numbered and there is ALWAYS a jackpot winning ticket in every draw.
Almost all of the so-called "Lotteries" around the world are actually a Lotto where you can choose your numbers, so you end up with shared wins and more often nobody wins (rollover).
In the UK Lotto's they are limited to no more than 5 rollovers, so on the 6th draw, if nobody wins the jackpot, then it is distributed amongst the next tier down.
Whilst it still results in occasional stupid jackpots of £170+Million it rarely goes beyond that, and if you do win that amount, you get that amount, tax free!!!
$1.5Billion is just obscene and irrelevant as I am sure that you simply cannot claim the whole amount even if you do win.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 05:32:59 AM »
It's only a Lottery if ALL tickets are uniquely numbered and there is ALWAYS a jackpot winning ticket in every draw.

Yeah, all kinds of words are constantly being misused and redefined.  Drives me crazy (AKA "mad").
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 09:08:30 AM »
Our jackpots are insane! They usually start off where you guys normally end. $20-50 million.

You will have annuity and lump sum options. Most take lump sum which is usually half the advertised jackpot. Thereafter, you'll pay highest bracket federal and state taxes. So the winning dwindles down. But still insane.

Next Powerball drawing is Saturday. Jackpot is estimated at $875 million. Lump sum cash option is about $442 million. Then, about 35% goes to fed tax. And many states will impose another ~10% state income tax and some will have municipality taxes too.

And then there is the lifelong family/friends feuds, kidnapping and murder.

Good luck.

$1.5Billion is just obscene and irrelevant as I am sure that you simply cannot claim the whole amount even if you do win.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 09:15:10 AM »
Yes. Like what is a woman. Netherlands just redefined it on their Miss Netherlands competition. This sh!t's gotta stop.

Yeah, all kinds of words are constantly being misused and redefined.  Drives me crazy (AKA "mad").

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 03:09:27 PM »
Yes. Like what is a woman. Netherlands just redefined it on their Miss Netherlands competition. This sh!t's gotta stop.

I specifically left out examples, other than my sly "mad" reference :)
But yes, that would be one of many things nowadays.  But many from the past, as well.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 07:09:43 AM »
I work in health care (software support) and we have 2 fields in our software for such things.

The first is Sex and it has the options of Male, Female, or Other and is not editable. It refers to whether you have/had testicles/ovaries because that matters when treating patients.
"Other" are extremely rare and refer people who have/had both or neither. I believe there are around 500 such at any one time out of 8+Billion of us.

The 2nd field is Gender and it has many options and is editable so that you can add whatever you like. This is what you choose to identify as, or as I crudely put it, what you choose to do with your genitalia. I once saw "Auto-Sexual" as an option in a customer system and it was a few seconds before I realised that they meant "Solo" rather than with an Automobile.  ::)
Personally I could care less what anyone's Gender is unless I am going to be in contact with their genitalia. The team I work with has several of the non-binary Genders represented and they are all good people and some of them have become friends.
However, in the health care field it is important to know Gender as they are often in contact with a patients genitalia in a non-sexual way.

Transgender is a choice, much like all plastic surgery. As for whether transgender people should be allowed in beauty contests, who the **** cares? Most of the contestants are already 90% fake what with surgery and makeup.
However, transgender participation in sexually separated sports should not in my opinion be allowed any more than drug use is allowed. It is artificial enhancement and is unfair.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 08:37:41 AM »
I'll tell you what is unfair. Making out with a dude.

I just want to know that the attractive woman I see at 1am at the local bar after a few beers is a natural born woman with all the parts and emotions of her. I don't want to feel a 5 o'clock shadow when she whispers sweet nothings in my ear!

Not cool.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 05:13:02 PM by DC Concours »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »
The first is Sex and it has the options of Male, Female[...]The 2nd field is Gender and it has many options and is editable so that you can add whatever you like. This is what you choose to identify as, or as I crudely put it, what you choose to do with your genitalia.

Sex is essentially only male or female (genetically speaking, and in 99.99% other ways).  Then there is sexual orientation- who you choose to have sex with (what sex you are attracted to, or not).  Of which there are essentially only four: Heterosexual (opposite), Homosexual (same), Bisexual (both), Asexual (none).  Although that can be complicated by the whole "gender thing"....   The other, newer thing, is "gender."  Medically, gender and sex were the same thing until not that long ago.  Now gender has been redefined to mean which sex you think you are (feel like), or how you present yourself to others.  Like sex, there are really only two rational gender choices: male or female (although a myriad of somewhat or outright ridiculous options are now claimed).

Personally I could care less what anyone's Gender is unless I am going to be in contact with their genitalia.

Medically speaking, like you pointed out before, it is important to know the sex and "gender" of an individual, so that a medical team knows that what appears to be one thing is not something else, since that can drastically affect diagnosis and treatment (like you already indicated).  Even that is complicated for a variety of not-so-conversational reasons :)  Knowing sexual orientation, however, is typically not needed for  medical treatment or diagnosis because it affects nothing physically.

The team I work with has several of the non-binary Genders represented and they are all good people and some of them have become friends.

Oh, no doubt.  There are nice and not-so-nice people of all walks of life, and I would treat anyone/everyone with dignity, politeness, and respect.  Although I wouldn't necessarily corrupt my language...  "they", "them"  and "theirs" are not singulars, and I will not play word games like "zim" and "shim" and "gee" and such nonsense.  I will "pronoun" people with that which best matches how he or she appears/presents/sounds, or probably requests (although only he/she, and I have never run across that last situation yet).  Quite frankly, I think the whole "non-binary" thing is mostly a desperate attempt to gain special treatment/attention and sometimes a psychological disorder.

The sports and bathroom complexities are legit concerns.  As is the gender confusion/indoctrination and sexualization of pre-pubescent children.  The gender social contagion is almost epidemic.

So.... to bring back to topic, I guess what people are is now a lottery :)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 05:11:19 PM »
This sums it all up. Especially at 1am.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 03:43:31 AM »
Knowing sexual orientation, however, is typically not needed for  medical treatment or diagnosis because it affects nothing physically.

Knowing sexual orientation is important for diagnosis as it can affect what the patient is likely to have been exposed to.

I fully agree on the "look at me, I'm different" thing, but that is also nothing new.
Some people feel that they need to be different, others that they need to fit in or be the same.

People have always been a lottery. Some people I avoid, some I actively seek out, most I am happy to be with for a while.

On the subject of Lotto's, I won on Friday. £3.60. That's just about enough for a decent pint of beer.  :chugbeer: :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 10:31:56 AM »
The lotto jackpot is at 900 million dollars today. I lost the last 3 times I played. Maybe I will sit this one out and wait till it hits 1 billion later this week.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2023, 07:47:44 AM »
Yeah, it's not really worth it until it's a billion or more....lol
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2023, 07:52:03 AM »
Well I'll be darned..just was informed I won $16 in the last draw of Powerball.  Effective immediately I am retiring..  Only spent $30 to get $16.  I'll make it up in volume.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »
Well, it is a full $1 Billion now. I was sweating bullets all last night hoping no one would took my jackpot.

I am back in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »
Well I'll be darned..just was informed I won $16 in the last draw of Powerball.  Effective immediately I am retiring..  Only spent $30 to get $16.  I'll make it up in volume.

Don't forget to pay your 25+% Fed and State income tax on those $16...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
There is a place on your 1040 to claim your losses against your winnings. Let me know the rules. You still did better than me. I spent twenty-something and won $4.

Now the Mega millions is closing in on a billion dollars. Time for me to start playing again.

Don't forget to pay your 25+% Fed and State income tax on those $16...