Author Topic: No spark testing pickup coil and ignitor?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline TjTexasJack

No spark testing pickup coil and ignitor?
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
Thanks in advance for the help.

12v input  on coil for 1/4 0v input on coil for 2/3

Testing the pickup coil I got 2.7  Ohms (?would have to go back to confirm that #) between the yellow and blue wires. No reading from any other combinations of the four wires.

My question is with two pickup coils would I get one or two reading and it that low of a reading good or bad? <<<< will dig though the cymers for table one , but wanted to get the ball rolling on this.

Second dose anyone know the procedure for testing the ignitor? << main thing I need to know in that the maunal only said take it to the stealership for testing.

Thanks again for all your help.
Tj

Offline Jim __

Re: No spark testing pickup coil and ignitor?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
According to the shop manual, the resistance of the pickup coil should be 390 to 590 ohms.  Infinity to chassis ground.  From the schematic, it looks like BK/W to BL and BK to Y  should be were you will see this resistance at the 4 pin connector.  See the attached file for the igniter test.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
See the attached file for the igniter test.
Don't be surprised if one of those readings (I forget which one) doesn't match.  A bunch of folks have found this using a bunch of different ohmmeters, including some very good name brand units.  The suspicion is that there is a misprint, but that has never been confirmed.  bbroj and I compared ours side by side and got the same readings on two different meters (and he's got a good meter), and we traded modules between bikes looking for a suspected ignition problem on his bike. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:55 AM »
Don't be surprised if one of those readings doesn't match.

You're right on the misprint. I remember the polarity being wrong on at least 1 of the tests in that table.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.