Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 890008 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1800 on: January 10, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
6 inches of snow yesterday with 8 degrees this morning.

Ouch.  Here a few days ago it was in the 20's, right now it is 65F !?!  Yesterday in the low 50's and went for a 2 hour ride.  Temps up, down, up, down, it gets dizzying.  I can't tell what season it is.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1801 on: January 10, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
It's the season to ride!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1802 on: January 10, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »
I like it, looks good and fits perfectly; nice device.... except the blue LED.  Why does every freaking device out there have to have at least one extremely over-bright blue LED on it?  When I turn the lights out at home, it seems like there are dozens of blue LEDs screaming all over the place!

Touch the LED with a permanent marker to dim it. A little dot of window tint from a leftover piece from a tint shop ... 2 or 3 or 4 layers if 1 isn't enough ... will dim it more. A dot a of black paint on it should make it go away completely.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #1803 on: January 10, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
-20. I justgo out to the garage and look at the bikes. :-[
Wayne

Ouch.  Here a few days ago it was in the 20's, right now it is 65F !?!  Yesterday in the low 50's and went for a 2 hour ride.  Temps up, down, up, down, it gets dizzying.  I can't tell what season it is.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1804 on: January 10, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
Touch the LED with a permanent marker to dim it. A little dot of window tint from a leftover piece from a tint shop ... 2 or 3 or 4 layers if 1 isn't enough ... will dim it more. A dot a of black paint on it should make it go away completely.

I just put some blue painters tape over it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #1805 on: January 11, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
We had 60 deg weather here in NJ this weekend, so we took a trip to Philly (Max's)
for a Philly Cheesesteak

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1806 on: January 13, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
I ran out of gas (last night )!

I was riding home last night and RAN OUT OF GAS :-[! I was 1 mile from my local gas station (2 miles from home)! I had 220 on the trip for that current tank and my RANGE was showing 15 miles left. In the blink-of-an-eye my RANGE went from 15 to 8 :-\ and there she went...dry! I was riding in regular mode (rode the entire tank in REGULAR mode, not switched to ECONOMY mode) and got 220 out of the tank. 220 is good for keeping her in normal mode so I'm happy about that and I DO have Steve's flash :great:. I thought for sure I'd make it that 1 additional mile but nope...she wasn't going to get me there. Part of the problem was that I have a small grade I have to climb to get into "Oak View" where the Shell station is and as soon as I hit the grade it died...DEAD!

I called my wife and asked her to get a gas can, fill it at the Shell station and come help me. She had to travel 1 mile to the gas station (which was on the way to me...I'm talking immediately off the highway where I was) and then she had to drive 1 more mile to get to me...SHE TOOK 40 MINUTES >:(...she's so fired!

I will continue to ride in NORMAL Mode and know that I need to start looking at 200 miles knowing I have a 15ish mile cushion.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1807 on: January 13, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
If you run out of gas at the 220 mile point, does that really count as "got 220 out of the tank"?

;D :rotflmao:

Cuttin' it tight, my friend ... very tight. OK, well, too tight, that time anyway  ;D

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1808 on: January 13, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »
If you run out of gas at the 220 mile point, does that really count as "got 220 out of the tank"?

;D :rotflmao:

Cuttin' it tight, my friend ... very tight. OK, well, too tight, that time anyway  ;D

Yep buddy...half empty or half full! However you look at it doesn't matter when you're standing on the side of the road waiting 40 MINUTES for your wife to drive 2 miles with a gas can >:(! What makes it worse is we have a Honda Civic and a Nissan Titan truck AND SHE DROVE THE CIVIC! And, on top of that, I have several gas cans...a couple 5 gallon and a couple 1 gallon cans and she grabbed the 5 gallon and put ONE GALLON OF FUEL IN IT....ONE GALLON :nuts:

But, when it all comes down to it I am the one that ran it dry so I guess I should stop bagging on her. What's the saying...if one finger is pointing at her there are 3 more pointing at me :-X?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1809 on: January 13, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
My range function becomes useless when the low gas warning takes over the display.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1810 on: January 13, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
My range function becomes useless when the low gas warning takes over the display.

I have that bypass that Brian created and installed it so I don't have that warning. I go strictly off the trip and Range. I know now what my limit is and won't let it happen again!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1811 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »

Hated that warning BTW...what was it, the last 30 miles or so had the warning so you had no way to use the computer?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1812 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »

No, wait, didn't the warning come on when you had 1.5 gallons left?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1813 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Something like that. I haven't picked up that mod yet.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1814 on: January 13, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
Something like that. I haven't picked up that mod yet.

If you hate the warning as much as I did GET IT!!! It was really easy to install and not having that warning flash for 50-60 miles is great! Just don't ride past 220 miles ;) You'll find yourself standing on the side of the road somewhere waiting 40 minutes for your wife to bring you a gallon of fuel in a 5 gallon can :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1815 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »
Unless riding at very steady speeds on a level road, such as a highway, the range display will always bounce around. In my opinion, your range was not 15 and 8, it was simply 8 'cause you should always use the lowest reading displayed over several seconds. And any reading, especially when in low gears and / or accelerating, under (or maybe even at) 10 miles or less is getting very risky IMO and IME.

Running out of fuel is hard on the fuel pump by the way. The fuel is also used to cool the pump motor as well as function as the bearing lubricant so running it dry starves the fuel pump of both. The good news is that there are quite a few used fuel pumps around now for C-14's as they are fairly expensive new.

Just a thought but if you really want to stretch the range as far as possible very often, you may want to consider carrying a small container of aux. fuel on the bike; there are liter or so bottles that fit neatly into a carrying tube mounted under a saddlebag. Now a liter (or a quart) of fuel is worse than useless if traveling on an Interstate in, say, Montana (it just makes the bear chasing you run further and more cranky before catching up with you the second time.....) but is more than enough fuel to get you to a fuel station in more densely populated areas, such as the northeast.... we almost cannot swing a dead cat around without hitting a gas station.

Brian

P.S.: No cats, dead or otherwise, were harmed during the typing of this message.

I ran out of gas (last night )!

I was riding home last night and RAN OUT OF GAS :-[! I was 1 mile from my local gas station (2 miles from home)! I had 220 on the trip for that current tank and my RANGE was showing 15 miles left. In the blink-of-an-eye my RANGE went from 15 to 8 :-\ and there she went...dry! I was riding in regular mode (rode the entire tank in REGULAR mode, not switched to ECONOMY mode) and got 220 out of the tank. 220 is good for keeping her in normal mode so I'm happy about that and I DO have Steve's flash :great:. I thought for sure I'd make it that 1 additional mile but nope...she wasn't going to get me there. Part of the problem was that I have a small grade I have to climb to get into "Oak View" where the Shell station is and as soon as I hit the grade it died...DEAD!

I called my wife and asked her to get a gas can, fill it at the Shell station and come help me. She had to travel 1 mile to the gas station (which was on the way to me...I'm talking immediately off the highway where I was) and then she had to drive 1 more mile to get to me...SHE TOOK 40 MINUTES >:(...she's so fired!

I will continue to ride in NORMAL Mode and know that I need to start looking at 200 miles knowing I have a 15ish mile cushion.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1816 on: January 13, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
Again, just a thought Mike but I would not put any faith in that 220 mile figure either. Fuel useage will change a LOT with changes in temperature, what kind of riding you are doing, etc. That is why the range function even exists, because range will vary so much between tank- fulls (and that is a variable too- we do not fill the tank to the same level every time). My suggestion is to use the range function but 1) watch it a bit more closely when getting low and always use the lowest number it shows and 2) do not push it too far- I do not go below 10 miles and usually more like 12- 20 normally. I have had the range down to 5 miles and still had sufficient fuel to pull off the highway and into a gas station but the range was not bouncing around and besides, I had my wife with me and she can walk to the gas station and back pretty quick I think.....  :rotflmao:

Brian

If you hate the warning as much as I did GET IT!!! It was really easy to install and not having that warning flash for 50-60 miles is great! Just don't ride past 220 miles ;) You'll find yourself standing on the side of the road somewhere waiting 40 minutes for your wife to bring you a gallon of fuel in a 5 gallon can :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1817 on: January 13, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
Unless riding at very steady speeds on a level road, such as a highway, the range display will always bounce around. In my opinion, your range was not 15 and 8, it was simply 8 'cause you should always use the lowest reading displayed over several seconds. And any reading, especially when in low gears and / or accelerating, under (or maybe even at) 10 miles or less is getting very risky IMO and IME.

Running out of fuel is hard on the fuel pump by the way. The fuel is also used to cool the pump motor as well as function as the bearing lubricant so running it dry starves the fuel pump of both. The good news is that there are quite a few used fuel pumps around now for C-14's as they are fairly expensive new.

Just a thought but if you really want to stretch the range as far as possible very often, you may want to consider carrying a small container of aux. fuel on the bike; there are liter or so bottles that fit neatly into a carrying tube mounted under a saddlebag. Now a liter (or a quart) of fuel is worse than useless if traveling on an Interstate in, say, Montana (it just makes the bear chasing you run further and more cranky before catching up with you the second time.....) but is more than enough fuel to get you to a fuel station in more densely populated areas, such as the northeast.... we almost cannot swing a dead cat around without hitting a gas station.

Brian

P.S.: No cats, dead or otherwise, were harmed during the typing of this message.

Hi Brian and I have learned...won't happen again, sorry :-[ When guys like Brian (or Steve) chime in and comment on your "mistake" it's like hearing from the Good Lord above after you've done something wrong...that feeling of shame! That's a total exaggeration but you know what I mean :P!

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1818 on: January 13, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
besides, I had my wife with me and she can walk to the gas station and back pretty quick I think.....  :rotflmao:

Brian

And probably faster than it took my wife to ravel the 2 miles with a gas can :rotflmao: :rotflmao:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1819 on: January 13, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
I have that bypass that Brian created and installed it so I don't have that warning.

And now you know why there is a warning :)

I don't like the warning taking over the display and REMOVING the range function, but I certainly don't want to lose my warning either.

BTW...what was it, the last 30 miles or so had the warning so you had no way to use the computer?

No.  You have to clear the warning, which requires pressing both buttons in a specific way, THEN you can use the computer again, but not the range function, which is left at "--"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc