Author Topic: Post your light bar photos?  (Read 26123 times)

Offline Tele130

Re: Post your light bar photos?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Did you wire them separate with a switch or do they come on with the high beam? Do you run the HID on high to see way down the road and use the aux lights for up closer and ditches? Sounds like I may have to get some more lights!
Wayne

My driving lights are totally separate from the head light. That way I can run the high beam and still have the driving lights on. It's not legal...........what can I say.  ;D. Yes I do use the high beam on the dark country roads.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning.

Doug Colton

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
You know, back when I used to ride my XS Eleven I had some mini engine guards and on top of them I mounted some rectangular fog lights. I had them hooked up to a switch on the side of the fairing and they were wired as stand alone. Those things really did a good job of lighting up the road around me regardless of the fact that they were yellow. They remind me of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-OE-Fog-Light-Kit/15111229

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
Just a word of caution about adding any "extra" lighting to a vehicle.  This may not effect you in the state in which you live.  In VA, we are only allowed to use lighting that is DOT, ANSI, or SAE approved (according to the "Superintendent") and would be cast into the lens.  The no-name and unmarked lights from Wal-mart and other store may not be approved.  Most inspectors don't really care, but if you get a picky one, he may tell you to remove them.  Just some food for thought.  YMMV.

The VA Code says:  Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one headlight which shall be of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent and shall be capable of projecting sufficient light to the front of such motorcycle to render discernible a person or object at a distance of 200 feet. However, the lights shall not project a glaring or dazzling light to persons approaching such motorcycles. In addition, each motorcycle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary headlights of a type approved by the Superintendent.

If anyone wants to read it:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1012
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
It is crazy that it says "approved by the superintendent". What exactly does that mean. It should mention if it was DOT approved. That makes it seem very subjective.

Doesn't seem to be a problem in Texas:

http://law.onecle.com/texas/transportation/547.801.00.html

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »
from the TX code you referenced (emphasis added):

§ 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.  (a) A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:
      (1) not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches;

Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:52 PM »
That would refer to headlights as in Murphs double headlight.  If it refereed to other lights a lot of folks would be in trouble, but they are not. They wouldn't be able to pass their vehicle inspection once a year.

Here is some additional info:

Texas State Statute 547-330

Sec. 547.330.  AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED.  (a)  A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b)  An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c)  Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

Sec. 547.333.  MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED.  (a)  Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle:
(1)  shall be arranged so that the operator can select at will between distributions of light projected at different elevations;  and
(2)  may be arranged so that the operator can select the distribution automatically.
(b)  A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:
(1)  an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading;  and
(2)  a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:
(A)  is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead;  and
(B)  is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.
(c)  A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:
(1)  an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:
(A)  the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading;  or
(B)  a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator;  and
(2)  an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.
(d)  A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, that has multiple-beam lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:
(1)  designed and located so that the lighted indicator is visible without glare to the vehicle operator;  and
(2)  lighted only when the uppermost distribution of light is in use.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »
It is crazy that it says "approved by the superintendent". What exactly does that mean. It should mention if it was DOT approved. That makes it seem very subjective.

The super fine VA print:

"... of a type that has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent or meets or exceeds the standards and specifications of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute, Incorporated or the federal Department of Transportation."

A vendor (or citizen) can submit a device for testing and approval to the state.  Of course there are fees involved with the process.  The Code identifies the steps in the process if you read all of the details.

The easy way is to have a light with SAE, ANSI, or DOT cast in the lens (just like all/most OEM parts out there).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Tele130, does that light have some sort of DOT stamp on it or in the documentation (not that you still have the documentation ;-) )

Offline Tele130

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
Tele130, does that light have some sort of DOT stamp on it or in the documentation (not that you still have the documentation ;-) )

This is the only "Stamping" I can find.  It's kinda hard to see (Auto Focus on the camera doesn't like the clear lens) but it does not say DOT approved.  It's stamped "02B E11 0145 NS-13"

Here's the other pic's of my light bar set-up I said I'd upload today. :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
I'm seriously thinking about mounting the current driving lights on the bottom of the bar and mounting these LED Day Time Running Lights on top of the bar.

Doug Colton

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
I wonder what those would look like at night with the other lights on? With all those lights on I could see someone saying "dear, why is that jet plane so low"  :rotflmao:

Who makes those?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
This is the only "Stamping" I can find.  It's kinda hard to see (Auto Focus on the camera doesn't like the clear lens) but it does not say DOT approved.  It's stamped "02B E11 0145 NS-13"

They are "ECE" approved and would not be legal in VA (and maybe other places), although an inspector may see markings and pass them.  They are made by a company called SIRIUS.  I have their catalog if you want it.  Here is a clip something I found:

The United States and Canada are the two significant exceptions; there ECE regulations are generally not recognised and ECE-compliant vehicles and equipment are not authorised for import, sale, or use in the US, unless they are tested to be compliant with US car safety laws, or for limited non driving use (E.G. car show displays). Items approved as meeting an ECE Regulation are marked with an E and a number, within in a circle.

I got burned twice by inspectore, so I alwys check these things.  I bet that the original packaging says something like "for show or off-road use only".  Its usually really fine print and hiding somewhere.  Both my Hella and PIAA lights have an actual DOT or SAE ( can't remember which) with number cast into them.  All of the "name brand" lights I have seen that are approved by an appropriate agency are clearly marked, unless they are specifically packaged as "off-road" use only.  When a "name brand" company marks them "off-road use only" it is usually because the light is exceptionally bright (150+ watt) or the light pattern is not recommended for highway use.

But what do I know, I'm not an engineer.  I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Here is where I found some of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Forum_for_Harmonization_of_Vehicle_Regulations

P.S. - Don't get me wrong, I love extra lighting.  I'm just trying to prevent someone wasting money on something that may get them in trouble somewhere.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
I wonder what those would look like at night with the other lights on? With all those lights on I could see someone saying "dear, why is that jet plane so low"  :rotflmao:

Who makes those?

;D  And don't forget the H.I.D. headlight too  :yikes: :rotflmao:

Their at Superbrightleds.com
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fdrlcw8hf_specs.htm

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
I have been thinking about relpacing them with the Hella FF50's that Murph sells.......................or use to sell.  Can't find
 them on his site any more???????

Doug Colton

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
Those are cool!  And approved!  $25 per set, I might get some of those.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
I have them on mine but I need to move them.  They kill the bulbs every couple of months from vibration.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 07:02:07 AM »
Nice link......looks familiar :o  Oh yeah, those are my photos of the bar I built :nuts:

I just went back to look at the photos again and realized that I did not see any material callout. Can you tell me what you used to create those?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:00:33 PM by timsatx »

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
Those are cool!  And approved!  $25 per set, I might get some of those.

I ordered a set on Friday morning.  They shipped Friday afternoon.  I'll post some pic's when they arrive. :thumbs:

Doug Colton