Author Topic: ZX14 Gauge Faces  (Read 11839 times)

Offline eng943

ZX14 Gauge Faces
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
I was looking at a ZX14 while talking to my dealer about an '11 C14. It looks like the gauge faces are identical to the C14 with the exception that they are white, which I find easier to read.

Has anyone done or explored swapping these gauge faces for the ZX14's?

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline SpazOnaConcours

Re: ZX14 Gauge Faces
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
...I've changed the LED color on my gauges to blue from the stock amber color. If you could get just the white faces somehow, you could install them over, possibly in place of the black face gauges.

I tell you though, if you change the color to white or blue the black gauges look fantastic. :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
...I've changed the LED color on my gauges to blue from the stock amber color.

Any pics Spaz?

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
I had a 98 Gold Wing SE and it had white gauges, I liked them better than the black face gauges.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »

Any pics Spaz?

You'll have to wait a few weeks for pics... I have it all apart right now for some other upgrades.   :stirpot:

...but I can take a few when it all gets back together. I did the LED mod on my kitchen table..... not too difficult for someone with soldiering experience and a steady hand.... but not for the faint of heart. If you look at those ebay sites that sell LED's for DIY mods you can get a good idea what it looks. Pictures do not do it justice at all.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
You'll have to wait a few weeks for pics... I have it all apart right now for some other upgrades.   :stirpot:

N2O?

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
N2O?

HA! Tempting though... I do have a 1lb bottle & solenoid laying around somewhere.... but no. :) Doing the smart thing and putting forged pistons in. Cleaning up the head a bit while I'm in there & tweaking my manifold too.... thinking about clutch upgrades, but money is tight right now. Actually, if I had the money I'd do a water/meth kit in an instant: those things are awesome.

Back on topic: http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/kawasaki_concours_08.htm <-----is a link with pics. On mine I left the data display LED's white, and changed just the speedo and tach LED's to that nice deep blue. 338% happier with the way it looks. at night.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
...I've changed the LED color on my gauges to blue from the stock amber color.

Please note- the stock color of the gauges on the 2010+ C14 is white, not amber....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
Please note- the stock color of the gauges on the 2010+ C14 is white, not amber....

That's a plus. The amber is atrocious in my opinion. The blue looks better than the white to me though. :) Again, just my opinion.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
Yeah I hate the amber. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
....quick pic, but the lighting was horrible for a camera phone.... but you get the idea. :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
....quick pic, but the lighting was horrible for a camera phone.... but you get the idea. :)

Neat- but I still like the stock white color.  Tends to be the best on my eyes, and matches the LCD.

Only change I would like to make to my dash lighting is to cut the damn high-beam indicator brightness by about 90%.   When I am alone on a dark road and I turn on high-beams, I am blinded by that damn blue light!  For now, I put a piece of black electric tape over 90% of the area of the light.  Ghetto, but seems to work.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
You must have a second gen... the first gen suffers from amber backlighting straight out of the 1980's. :)

You could use a bit of dark window tint to take the edge out of the indicator light brightness. It goes on easy, you can make it look really nice, and will leave it transparent enough to still function as an indicator

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
...I've changed the LED color on my gauges to blue from the stock amber color. If you could get just the white faces somehow, you could install them over, possibly in place of the black face gauges.

I tell you though, if you change the color to white or blue the black gauges look fantastic. :)

Do you have the manufacturer and the part number for the LEDs?
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
Ebay, sadly enough... I too lazy to break it apart and figure it out on my own. The seller was a fellow from Puerto Rico. My only gripe about using that guy was that it took the guy weeks to send an envelope with a strip of LED's in it. Cheap though, at least if you're not in a hurry... and you can get just about any color(s) you want.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
You must have a second gen... the first gen suffers from amber backlighting straight out of the 1980's. :)

Yep, 2011 (it is in my member description on the left).  So glad it is not amber.... blech.

You could use a bit of dark window tint to take the edge out of the indicator light brightness. It goes on easy, you can make it look really nice, and will leave it transparent enough to still function as an indicator

Yeah, but I fear nothing would really look all that good without it being done behind the clear plastic.  And I am unwilling to do that right now.  Good idea, though.  I think a perfect compromise would be a MOSTLY opaque, dark, circular piece of "cling vinyl" to stick on the outside of the dash, right over the lamp.  Remember "Colorforms?"  Something like that.  No adhesive residue, easy to remove for cleaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorforms