Author Topic: Turbo (continued from old board) Bevel Drive Issue?  (Read 7601 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Turbo (continued from old board) Bevel Drive Issue?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
Does the C14 clutch have much in common with the ZX-14 clutch, parts-wise?  I was just wondering if there's an easy aftermarket route that could be taken to beef up the C14 clutch.

I imagine you could check the part numbers and see if they match between the bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Fretka

Re: Turbo (continued from old board) Bevel Drive Issue?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
No, the ZX-14 and C-14 use entirely different clutches.

Just the addition of ZX-14 clutch springs will allow the clutch to handle around 230 hp.

For some background on this thread:  About a year ago I noticed a change in the sound of the transmission as I would accelerate from a stop. Very slowly this sound got a little louder and on occasion a clunk could be felt as well. Thinking I had a bearing going south, I pulled apart the driveline and could not find anything amiss. The bevel drive assy. was my first guess but again all looked fine. (You must remember that I had upped the HP substantially and I was understandably a bit nervous about what that might do to the driveline).

As you can see from my post above, this noise is almost certainly due to having one clutch plate rotated one spline from the others.

I have yet to ride it so all this may be speculation but I'm pretty confident that this clutch plate installed in the stock, correct location will fix what could have been (sounded) catastrophic.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14