Author Topic: C-14 Alternator Reserve? Charging leads?  (Read 9754 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
C-14 Alternator Reserve? Charging leads?
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
The alternator reserve is is excess capacity the alternator can offer when everything on the bike is running at the same time.  I have not seen any numbers for the C-14.  Since it has "touring" in the name, I have to assume it has a larger alternator than a sport bike.

The reserve allows you to know many additional watts you can pull without dipping into the battery (for non-OEM things like additional lighting, heated seat/clothing, electronics, etc).  Normally, you should not use all the alternator, anyway, or it could never recharge the battery from starting or self-discharge!

Anyway... anyone seen stats (especially on the 2010/2011)?

Also... access to the battery on the C-14 is crazy inconvenient.  What are you guys doing to keep the battery charged during longer periods of non-use?  Trickle charger?  How are you connecting it?  Did you install charging leads?  If so, what/where? 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C-14 Alternator Reserve? Charging leads?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:57 AM »
About 400 watts at 6k rpm.  Don't know what the 'reserve' is.  I've never had mine on a charger and never had an issue even with it sitting for over a month.  However, the more vampire farkles installed, the more power drain off the battery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
The C-14 alternator produces 590 watts, and it appears that about 350 watts or so are available for external (non bike) use. I had posted a more detailed and complete snippet about using the alternator until it could no longer maintain 13.0 volts but unfortunately that post went with all the others to digital heaven.

Brian

The alternator reserve is is excess capacity the alternator can offer when everything on the bike is running at the same time.  I have not seen any numbers for the C-14.  Since it has "touring" in the name, I have to assume it has a larger alternator than a sport bike.

The reserve allows you to know many additional watts you can pull without dipping into the battery (for non-OEM things like additional lighting, heated seat/clothing, electronics, etc).  Normally, you should not use all the alternator, anyway, or it could never recharge the battery from starting or self-discharge!

Anyway... anyone seen stats (especially on the 2010/2011)?

Also... access to the battery on the C-14 is crazy inconvenient.  What are you guys doing to keep the battery charged during longer periods of non-use?  Trickle charger?  How are you connecting it?  Did you install charging leads?  If so, what/where?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
. . . with all the others to digital heaven.

Brian

Pretty sure it went the other direction.  ;D

Flathead

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
Looks like the alternator output question has been answered...

I installed a BMW style plug with a flip open cover on the right black panel (opposite the heated grip dial) that I can use with my battery tender or in reverse to power my heated jacket.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »
Looks like the alternator output question has been answered...

I installed a BMW style plug with a flip open cover on the right black panel (opposite the heated grip dial) that I can use with my battery tender or in reverse to power my heated jacket.

I now just added the heated seat wiring with chili controller.  I ran some tests and determined the controller can also power my heated vest.  So I spliced that in too- it is just a connector that hangs off the left side from under the seat.  The two heats add up to some 44 watts.  Plus my running light conversion (other thread) is another full-time 44 watts.  Later- adding a lightbar on back.  Just trying to keep track of how much power is used/available.

As for the charger, my bike is so new, I just can't BEAR to cut into panels yet.  So I am curious how others have handled the trickle-charge concept... not just connectors but where they tapped in, too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »
Here's where mine comes out Max, when not in use it just tucks right in out of sight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
Here's where mine comes out Max, when not in use it just tucks right in out of sight.

Ah, but the 2010/2011 doesn't have empty space there... remember? :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
Ah, but the 2010/2011 doesn't have empty space there... remember? :)

2nd gen snob...

;) ;D :grouphug:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
You really only need one tap into the battery for all your external access needs. Use the heated clothing tap to attach the trickle charger. Just make sure the tap (the wire) you use is fused for the heaviest thing you will be using on it. For example: I use two 15 amp taps for my and my wife's heated clothes. My tire inflator wiring has been altered to add a male coaxial connector that fits the heated clothing taps (female) already on the bike. I just use either heated clothing tap to power the air compressor if or when I need it. If I used a trickle charger (I do not), then I would also wire that to use the same coaxial tap as the heated clothing. Both of the coaxial taps run from the battery and simply hang under the left hand side of the saddle because the input for Gerbing heated clothes is also on the left.

Of course if you use the proper size wire you could fuse the output harness (the 'tap') on the bike higher than 15 amps but I have not found anything that 15 amps will not supply that I want to power from the bike.

Brian

I now just added the heated seat wiring with chili controller.  I ran some tests and determined the controller can also power my heated vest.  So I spliced that in too- it is just a connector that hangs off the left side from under the seat.  The two heats add up to some 44 watts.  Plus my running light conversion (other thread) is another full-time 44 watts.  Later- adding a lightbar on back.  Just trying to keep track of how much power is used/available.

As for the charger, my bike is so new, I just can't BEAR to cut into panels yet.  So I am curious how others have handled the trickle-charge concept... not just connectors but where they tapped in, too.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:45:56 AM »
You really only need one tap into the battery for all your external access needs. Use the heated clothing tap to attach the trickle charger.

Not possible in my case.  Remember, it goes through the Chilli Controller.  For other people, it is good advice, though.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
You could still use one main tap from the battery and split off a junction to power the seat heat controller, then let the main harness continue out from under the seat. My point is that there is really only a need for one wire to the battery for all farkles; Kawasaki wired the entire bike with only one tap to each post on the battery, right?  ;) Multiple wires going to the battery invite trouble in the future IMO from corrosion, loose connectors, etc.

Brian

Not possible in my case.  Remember, it goes through the Chilli Controller.  For other people, it is good advice, though.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
You could still use one main tap from the battery and split off a junction to power the seat heat controller, then let the main harness continue out from under the seat. My point is that there is really only a need for one wire to the battery for all farkles; Kawasaki wired the entire bike with only one tap to each post on the battery, right?  ;) Multiple wires going to the battery invite trouble in the future IMO from corrosion, loose connectors, etc.

Good point.  Since I ran a full-time power to the relay at the back for the heated stuff, I could tap off of that and have some type of pigtail come out under the seat on the other side...  Then I just have to find the right kind of connector and the right kind of charger.