Author Topic: home improving old home improvements  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
home improving old home improvements
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
I peeled off the old and hideous wallpaper in my kitchen to find this archaeological record of the previous "home improver". Not sure what the "2-doubles, 1-single" means, but there is plenty of evidence that this guy liked the sauce. Sure took him long enough to finish.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: home improving old home improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
I can certainly understand it.  I've done it a few times and hate it with a passion.  Thank God that wallpaper is essentially out as a decorating must these days.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »
Our house is 86 years old, we are only the third owners, the previous woman bought it in 1943 and we bought it in 1990, whenever we do projects we are always finding interesting things, tools, bottles, toys, writing, old lunches, hidden pipes and chases. We found the previous owners boot camp photo from 1918 behind the garage door. He retired in 1961. My wife is convinced there is a bag of money somewhere in the house, we search for it, haven't found it yet, doubt I would admit to finding it anyway.  ;D Cool story and pic, thanks, neat knowing I'm not the only one with an old house.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
I always leave something behind for whoever is next in line for a remodel.  Be it a newspaper, note, or even a broken tool or 2.  I have always liked uncovering things from the past and I figure they will as well.  When I was a kid my mother was into old properties to refurb and turn into renatls, as most of them were outside of the shipyard we found plenty of Navy memorabilia.  My fav find was an old tobacco tin with old Navy pay script and currency from several island nations.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
Our house is 86 years old,

Careful rehabbing older homes.  Ghosts aren't that keen on improvements.  Tends to bring out the worst with them....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
Careful rehabbing older homes. 

When replacing the original, 1958-era, in-wall Medicine cabinet with another modern one, there was a plethora of double-edge razor blades piled behind it.  that's how they were disposed of back then, just dump them in your wallspace.

Used a magnet instead of my precious fingers to get them all out safely.  ATGATT even when remodeling...
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Careful rehabbing older homes.  Ghosts aren't that keen on improvements.  Tends to bring out the worst with them....

Especially razor blade toting ghosts! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
Especially razor blade toting ghosts!

"I aint afraid of no ghost" ;D

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
I peeled off the old and hideous wallpaper in my kitchen to find this archaeological record of the previous "home improver". Not sure what the "2-doubles, 1-single" means, but there is plenty of evidence that this guy liked the sauce. Sure took him long enough to finish.

Two doubles, one single refers to rolls of wallpaper. They were sold in double rolls or single rolls.

I've found some interesting things back when I was a contractor. One was a wall cavity full of old shoes. Another was a wall cavity full of dead squirrels. I understood the squirrels.......the shoes....not so much.

I like to leave stuff to be found in the future too. The last wall I had open at my current house we left a photo of our family with a date.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
I found about a quarter pound of weed in a suspended ceiling one time. (for real).............. I can't remember what I did with it LMAO

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
I found about a quarter pound of weed in a suspended ceiling one time. (for real).............. I forgot what I did with it LMAO

That's mine, please return it...  ;D

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »

That's mine, please return it...  ;D

If you promise to share.  lol

Oh.    Those were the days  8)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
If I remember correctly, many older steel medicine cabinets have a slot usually marked for disposing old razor blades which basically did what you found, dumped them into the wall space. Most times the sticker has been removed as most all folks have gone to the razors we all use today. Its usually a louver type slot stamped into the back panel of the cabinet, usually on the upper part.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50