Author Topic: Noob needs TPMS clarification  (Read 16357 times)

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
Re: Noob needs TPMS clarification
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
Yes other posters in other threads mentioned drilling out the spot welds. I ended up soldering some brass strip I had to a new wally world 2032  but it was showing a voltage drop  from 3.14 to  3.02 by the time I was done.  Oh well  ::)  the sensor is back on the wheel, summer is short in the great white north.  We'll see what I have in a bit. 
08B 73.5K miles

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 03:41:32 PM »
Just a couple of quick thoughts:

There is no reason or want to remove the tabs from the OEM battery. Besides, they are spot welded and will not come off without a lot of deformation. As a battery should never be soldered directly anyway, there is no use for the tabs to be loose unless one has a battery tab spot- welder.

Always used tabbed batteries to replace the OEM types.

Which leads us to #3: never solder to any battery. That is why solder tabs exist and why they are used in the TPS sensors in the first place. Soldering a battery is guaranteed to melt the nylon ring that seals it, and that in turn will either ruin the battery immediately or ruin it slowly- both bad situations. When soldering the tabs, the battery itself is never heated above the melting point of nylon.

Tabbed batteries are easy to buy on-line. There are no tabbed batteries that are an exact replacement for the C-14 tire pressure sensor batteries but it is easy to alter (bend, cut) the tab(s) and solder wire to them, and then in turn solder the wire to the arm on the sensor.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
The next time I change tires, I'm gonna have two sensors for sale. I have no use for them. I've had a blowout on the Connie at 100 MPH with no warning. Such an explosion, the beads came off the rim. Yeah, I was lucky. But if a tire goes down slowly, I'll feel it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
The next time I change tires, I'm gonna have two sensors for sale. I have no use for them. I've had a blowout on the Connie at 100 MPH with no warning.

Well, no sensor will help with that.  And yes, you were very lucky!

Such an explosion, the beads came off the rim. Yeah, I was lucky. But if a tire goes down slowly, I'll feel it.

TPMS is also for knowing what your pressures are- which is an excellent way to keep the tires properly inflated.  I normally check the display right when leaving, and often right when docked when returned, so I know when it is time to add a few PSI.  I would guess that the vast majority of people are not going to know it is 2 or 3 PSI too low just by feel.  I certainly wouldn't.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 04:50:42 AM »
The next time I change tires, I'm gonna have two sensors for sale. I have no use for them. I've had a blowout on the Connie at 100 MPH with no warning. Such an explosion, the beads came off the rim. Yeah, I was lucky. But if a tire goes down slowly, I'll feel it.

This is the first time that I've heard of anyone having a blowout on a C14. Any idea what caused it? Other than a catastrophic loss of tire integrity that is.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:39 AM »
This is the first time that I've heard of anyone having a blowout on a C14. Any idea what caused it? Other than a catastrophic loss of tire integrity that is.
I'm not sure what caused it. You could stick a quarter through the hole it made though. You can see the hole in that pic.
Just a heads up, when the bead comes off the rim, the side stand won't work. And getting it up on the centerstand is a chore.
When it happened, my Wife was on the back. We were both quite sure we were gonna crash. The rear of the bike was trying to pass the front and all h#!! was breaking loose. I felt like Superman when I got it stopped without a scratch. :D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:44 AM »
Wow glad you got r stopped OK.  Perhaps you want to share what worked and what didn't for you?

I had a rear blow out on an 1100 Shadow a few years ago in truck traffic on the freeway.  What did NOT work for me is getting on the brakes.  Brakes or a too quick slow down will really make it slew back and forth.  Actually put a bit of throttle back in to stabilize it, then very slowly eased back on the throttle, slowed down and got over on the shoulder.
That blow out was my fault, bags and a fender flap hid a flat spot that went through the cords till the tube came out of the hole!  In a hurry to catch a meeting I did not stop and check on an unusual vibration I felt before she blew. That tire did stay in the safety beads.
08B 73.5K miles